Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ethics, Rumors And The Tragic Deaths Of Caylee Anthony And Calyx And Beau Schenecker - Fanning

Go down

Ethics, Rumors And The Tragic Deaths Of Caylee Anthony And Calyx And Beau Schenecker - Fanning Empty Ethics, Rumors And The Tragic Deaths Of Caylee Anthony And Calyx And Beau Schenecker - Fanning

Post by mom_in_il Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 pm

2/07/2012 @ 3:22PM |10 views
Ethics, Rumors And The Tragic Deaths Of Caylee Anthony And Calyx And Beau Schenecker
Diane Fanning Diane Fanning, Contributor

Excerpt:

I’m not sure how it happened, but the once tabloid-only practice of paying for interviews has grown far more common, albeit through more subtle means. Rather than giving an outright payment, prominent periodicals and networks have paid for photos and family movies, and then received interviews. The media outlets could still say they did not pay for an interview, but the ethical gymnastics were a bit obvious nonetheless.

This contortion of journalistic ethics was never more blatant than when I was writing Mommy’s Little Girl, a true crime account about the Caylee Anthony tragedy. A major network paid the outrageous sum of $200,000 for the rights to use Anthony family photos and videos. Soon, anyone who had anything Caylee were lining up lawyers to get deals to exchange their images for cold, hard cash, with the interview serving as a side dish after the consummation of the transaction.

A public backlash swelled in response to these deals in the Anthony story, with boycotts threatened and petitions circulated. It wasn’t long before a new wrinkle entered the mix when the Anthony family started a foundation. Soon, the seemingly respectable alternative was to make a donation to this non-charitable entity to get what you wanted from the family.

In addition of the blurring of ethical boundaries, another unfortunate result for me was the circulation of rumors insisting that I and others had to have paid the Anthony family (Caylee’s mother Casey and grandparents George and Cindy), or the foundation to write or produce anything about the case. That falsity rode on the back of criticism questioning the Anthonys’ use of the charitable organization as a personal profit generator.

I did have the opportunity to offer payment of one sort or another to get an interview with the Anthonys, but I refused to take the bait and refused to participate. Of course, that did not stop the rumors, all of which tend to have eternal life on the Internet.

I suppose the public opinion of the ethics of George and Cindy should have prepared me for that result and, to some degree, it did.

More: http://www.forbes.com/sites/crime/2012/02/07/ethics-rumors-and-the-tragic-deaths-of-caylee-anthony-and-calyx-and-beau-schenecker/
mom_in_il
mom_in_il
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down