Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL

+6
mom_in_il
babyjustice
Gingernlw
angelm07
kiwimom
TomTerrific0420
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

BRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL - Page 2 Empty Re: BRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL

Post by angelm07 Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Uncle of missing teen Brittney Wood 'raped different relative, 13,
while her father watched' - as FIVE family members are now charged with
sex crimes

• Brittney Wood, 19, vanished in May as she went to visit an uncle
  • He shot himself dead two days later - just before he was to be quizzed by police in a sex-abuse investigation
  • Brittney's brother, cousin, aunt and 2 uncles arrested on different charges
  • Three of the men are accused of raping 12-year-old girl
  • 10/23/2012

The uncle of missing Alabama teenager
Brittney Wood raped a 13-year-old relative as her father watched, a
police detective has testified in court.
Dustin
Kent, who stands accused of sodomy and sexual abuse in multiple cases,
is just one of Brittney's five relatives arrested on sex charges since
her disappearance in May.
Police
say that the charges do not relate to the missing 19-year-old, who left
behind her two-year-old daughter. Her uncle, Donnie Holland, shot
himself with her gun just two days after she vanished.

On
Monday, Sgt. Scott Congleton from the Mobile police testified at a
preliminary hearing in Mobile County District Court that the rape
committed by Kent took place in 2008 when the girl was 13.
The
victim, now 17, only came forward earlier this year amid the search for
Brittney and her claims were 'credible', Congleton said.
He
recounted her ordeal, explaining the girl's father lured her with the
promise of going to a pet store to buy a hamster - but instead, they
drove to Kent's workplace, the Mobile Register reported.
Kent, 36, joined them in the car and they drove to a run-down industrial park as it became darker.
As
they were driving, the girl complained that she had a headache and Kent
rubbed her head, Congleton said. He started to kiss her but she pushed
him away, he added.
When
the car pulled over, Kent took off her clothes and performed a sex act
on her before raping her as her father watched, Congleton testified.
More:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222021/Dustin-Kent-Brittney-Woods-uncle-raped-family-member-father-watched--FIVE-family-members-charged-sex-crimes.html#ixzz2BrhPMfhV

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

angelm07
angelm07
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down

BRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL - Page 2 Empty Re: BRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL

Post by mom_in_il Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Remains in Lillian not those of missing Mobile mother Brittney Wood

Theresa Seiger, tseiger@al.com
on December 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM
updated December 19, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Update: Chessie Wood said she was "misinformed" today. She thought her daughter had been ruled out as the body found in Lillian after seeing a TV news report. Read the update here.

LILLIAN, Alabama -- The human remains found in Baldwin County yesterday are not those of missing Mobile mother Brittney Wood, according to her mother.

Chessie Wood said she waited into the night to hear whether her daughter's body had been found in Lillian, but by morning authorities confirmed to her the body did not belong to Brittney Wood.

"It still breaks my heart, because there's someone out there looking for that person," Chessie Wood said.

Brittney Wood was 19 years old when she was last seen in May. She has since turned 20. Lillian is within the expansive search area established by teams looking for signs of Brittney Wood.

On Monday night, the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office was alerted to possible human remains found in Lillian, according to Maj. Anthony Lowery, public information officer for BCSO.

Investigators waited until daylight to search the area, where they determined human remains had been found. The remains were sent to the Baldwin County Coroner's Office.

They will also be sent to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences in Mobile, according to Lowery.

Authorities have not released the identity of the person found.

On Monday, the Klaas Kids Foundation released a new flier asking hunters to keep their eyes peeled for signs of Brittney Wood.

"Any hunter that sees anything that does not belong -- they know what they see every season -- please let somebody know," Chessie Wood said through tears during a press conference at her home.

Brittney Wood was last seen in May wearing a blue tank top, blue jean shorts and white flip flops. She was carrying a pink or teal tote-type bag.

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/12/remains_in_lillian_not_those_o.html
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by ladibug Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:33 am

Brittney and daughter:BRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL - Page 2 Missing_girld3a508f4-095f-4ebc-abb9-ff4bfc1aded20000_20120607172456_320_240
http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/mobile_county/missing-person-report-filed-on-teen

BRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL - Page 2 11307956-smallBRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL - Page 2 11307951-smallBRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL - Page 2 11307948-small
Dustin Kent -------- Randall Wood -------- Derek Wood

http://www.sexoffenderin.com/article713/missing_teen_brittney_wood_apos_s_brother_arrested_for_rape_incest__everything_alabama_blog.htm

Thought it might help the confusion to see who is who. Here are three of them.

Here is link that has all six of them but you have to hover over pics:
http://interactives.fox10tv.com/photomojo/gallery/3718/1/baldwin-co.-sex-crimes-investigation/donald-paul-holland-uncle-of-brittney-wood/

Last edited by ladibug on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ladibug
ladibug

Job/hobbies : Collecting feral cats

Back to top Go down

Post by ladibug Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:49 am

Sex crimes suspects face hearing in Mobile County courtroom
Suspects are relatives of missing Brittney Wood

Updated: Wednesday, 16 Jan 2013, 5:07 PM CST
Published : Wednesday, 16 Jan 2013, 1:23 PM CST

BAY MINETTE, Ala. (WALA) - Some of the relatives of missing Baldwin County mother Brittney Wood had appearances in court Wednesday, Jan. 16.

Wood has been missing since May 30, 2012. Since her disappearance, a number of her relatives have been charged with sex crimes.

There are a total of six suspects involved in this sex crimes investigation. Five are relatives of Brittney Wood and one is a family friend.

Dustin Kent, Derek Wood, Randall Scott Wood, Donald Holland, Jr. all face various sex crime charges. Wendy Wood Holland also made a court appearance for child endangerment charges.

This was an ongoing sex crimes investigation involving multiple victims.

Investigators said there is no proof these crimes are connected to Wood's disappearance, but the missing teen wasn't far from the mind of her mother while she sat in court.

Inside the Baldwin County Courthouse, two family members, Derek Wood and Wendy Holland, sat beside each other in jail jumpsuits.

They are just two of a number of family members involved in a shocking sex crimes investigation. Five family members and a family friend are all involved in a sex crimes case allegedly involving multiple juvenile victims.

One of the suspects, Wendy Holland, has been charged with child endangerment, while the five men face sex crime charges.

Baldwin County Assistant DA Teresa Heinz said, "Children can't defend themselves, neither can the elderly, neither can animals. I think because of these kinds of cases, those strike a chord with the community."

Photos: Baldwin County sex crimes investigation

One key that ties all them together is missing teenager Brittney Wood, who vanished in May.

On Wednesday, a number of these suspects had court appearances. Brittney's brother, Derek Wood and her aunt, Wendy Holland, were both appointed attorneys.

We also learned Brittney's uncles- Randall Scott Wood and Dustin Kent, both waived their arraignments and pleaded not guilty.

Fox10 News confirmed through court documents that Brittney's cousin- Donald Holland, Junior, has filed for youthful offender status.

Brittney Wood's mother Chessie Wood was in court supporting her son Derek.

Chessie Wood said, "I'm just waiting for the trials. I believe a lot more information will come out during the trials."

But Wood is relentless in finding her daughter, and dealing with this second family crisis makes it difficult.

She said, "My daughter's missing. I wish my son could be out there helping me look for her. 'Cuz he has friends that I don't. They were very tight, he probably could take me to places I don't know about."

Chessie Wood says even from behind bars, Derek Wood is trying to get his mother in touch with friends who might know where Brittney could be.

In the meantime, Brittney’s cousin, Donald Holland, Jr. has a court date set for April, and on Thursday, family friend William Brownlee will be in court.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/mobile_county/sex-investigation-suspects-face-hearing
ladibug
ladibug

Back to top Go down

Post by ladibug Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:16 am

Special Report: Missing Brittney - The Untold Stories

Updated: Monday, 29 Apr 2013, 10:19 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 24 Apr 2013, 8:19 AM CDT

(WALA) - For nearly a year, the disappearance of Brittney Wood has remained unsolved - with few answers or explanations.

At only 19-years-old, the mother of one vanished from her home in Mobile on May 30, 2012. She was last seen driving off with her uncle, Donald Holland, Sr.

"I don't think it can get any worse," said Brittney's mother, Chessie Wood. "We've had deaths in our family that wasn't this bad, because we knew what happened to them."

Local and national search crews spent months combing for clues.

SEX ABUSE ALLEGATIONS

The search continued as authorities arrested relative after relative in connection to an alleged child sex ring involving Brittney's family and friends. Investigators said they had been looking to talk to Brittney about the sex crimes before she even went missing.

"We oftentimes look for that golden nugget. That one person that can make the difference in your case," said Detective Eric Winberg, former lead investigator on the family sex abuse investigation in Baldwin County. "In this particular case, Brittney Wood was that person. She was the person that could tell the whole story."

It's a story that technically began February 26, 2012 when investigators said Brittney's uncle, Randall Scott Wood, called authorities to report the family sex abuse.

Investigators, along with Brittney's mother, believe the missing teen was a victim herself. Authorities believe Brittney was one of the only victims who knew that other children were being abused by numerous relatives as well.

For some, the abuse started at three-years-old and goes on to their adulthood,” said Det. Winberg.

THE CONVERSATION

In a series of Facebook messages investigators believe are between Brittney and one of the alleged victims, Brittney writes on May 27, "Hey beautiful. How are you? Tell me what's going on. I don't know what's true and what you said."

The alleged victim then identifies relatives Randall Scott Wood, Dustin Kent, and Donald Holland as abusers - writing in part: "They raped me."

The conversation continues for quite some time, sharing heartbreaking details. Brittney, however, ends it saying in part, "I love you. I'm sorry."

"I feel that that was their attempt to reach out to one another and say, 'Hey, this is what’s going on here,'" said Det. Winberg.

The alleged victim then writes repeatedly to Brittney on May 28 and again on May 30, with no response.

May 30 was the last time Brittney was seen alive, traveling with her uncle, Donald Holland, to a home in the Styx River area in Baldwin County.

THE UNCLE

"He was a very smart, charismatic, and manipulative individual. So I truly believe that, again, yes, he knew I was actively searching for her," said Winberg.

"He was always nice, smiling," said Brittney's father, Wallace Hanke. "You wouldn't know by looking at him and talking to him that he was a demon. That's all he was, was a demon."

FOX10 sat down with Brittney's parents, step-parents, and younger brother to talk about the cases.

When asked why they believe Brittney would get into a vehicle with Donald Holland, after speaking with one of the alleged victims, Brittney's mother replied, "I believe she got in that truck to confront Donnie and it went terribly wrong."

On June 1, two days after Brittney went missing, authorities said Holland drove to a dead end near his home in Fairhope and shot himself with Brittney's gun.

Her cell phone battery was also found in his truck.

Coincidentally, Holland was supposed to meet with Det. Winberg and the Department of Human Resources that day, to discuss the sex abuse allegations.

Authorities said he had been acting erratic hours before the suicide, and his wife reported him saying that he "didn’t want to go to jail for something he didn't do."

THE OTHER ARRESTS

In the weeks following his suicide, Holland's wife Wendy, Brittney's uncles Dustin Kent, Randall Scott Wood, family friend William Brownlee, Brittney's cousin Donald Holland, Jr. and even her brother Derek Wood, 21, was arrested in connection to the sex ring investigation.

— The 20-year-old's family says she has been missing since May 30, 2012. Her family has offered a $1,500 reward for any information that leads to her being found. Chessie Wood, mother of Brittney Wood — Since Brittney's disappearance, Chessie has been vocal in the search for her, as well as the charges surrounding family members. Donald Paul Holland, uncle of Brittney Wood — Officials wanted to talk to him about the sex abuse case, but he commited suicide. According to family, he was the last person to see Brittney Wood. Derek Thomas Wood, brother of Brittney Wood — Arrested, charged with second-degree rape and second-degree sodomy. Dustin Kent, uncle of Brittney Wood — Arrested, charged with two counts of second-degree rape, first degree sodomy, second-degree sodomy and incest. Donald Paul Holland, Jr., cousin of Brittney Wood — Arrested charged with second-degree rape, second-degree sexual abuse and incest. Randall Scott Wood, uncle of Brittney Wood — Arrested, charged with second-degree sexual abuse, second-degree sodomy and incest William Bonny Brownlee, family friend of Donald Holland — Arrested, charged with second-degree sodomy, second-degree sexual abuse and failing to appear Wendy Wood Holland, aunt of Brittney Wood — Arrested, charged with sodomy of a child less than 12, sex abuse of a child less than 12, sexual torture and endangering the welfare of a child.

DEREK WOOD

FOX10 spoke to Derek Wood, who remains in the Baldwin County Jail. He said the sex abuse ring actually began years ago.

"This all started whenever I was probably about seven-years-old and it continued throughout the years and led up from Donnie teaching me things. And whenever I was younger I would go over to his house and he had got me to do something that I wasn't proud of," said Derek from jail.

Detectives said Derek Wood's case is a sad one - a victim himself, turned suspect.

As he works through the legal case , he said his sister's disappearance is first on his mind.

"It's been pretty hard, man. I really just would like to find my sister. I mean, the jail time is hard but it's just time," said Derek. "I'm just sitting around praying that my sister comes home or we could find something about her."

BRITTNEY'S DISAPPEARANCE

Despite all the connections - the relatives, the messages, and Brittney's involvement - the Baldwin County Sheriff's office maintained her disappearance and the sex crimes investigation were not connected .

In the months that followed, at least four different law enforcement agencies became involved in the case.

Sources told FOX10 it was impossible to investigate one case without looking at the other. One reason for separating them, sources said, was to maintain perspective and maintain the integrity of each case.

ONE YEAR LATER

May 30, 2013 will mark one year since Brittney went missing from her home. It's a year her daughter Payton has spent asking questions as she lives with her father's grandparents, Dennis and Maxine Harris.

"I'll never, ever, ever give up that little piece of hope that she's alive."

"You know, at some point if she asks me, I'll have to tell her," said Dennis Harris.

Authorities believe to solve the disappearance of Brittney Wood, someone will need to come forward - someone likely from within the family.

"I'll never, ever, ever give up that little piece of hope that she's alive," said Chessie Wood.

"If Brittney would have run away, she would have gotten her kid," said Brittney's younger brother TJ.

"It's going to come together just by other means," said Det. Winberg. "It'll take a little longer, it'll be a little more laborious, but at the end of the day were going to have the right people and we're going to have all of them."

Investigators have also looked at alternative theories in Brittney’s disappearance, and many are still out there searching.

Authorities have even sought help from deputies in Texas to check out leads and visit the homes of some of Brittney's out-of-state friends.

Meanwhile, several of the suspects in the sex crimes investigation are expected to go to trial in August 2013.

More arrests are expected as well.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/special_reports/special-report-missing-brittney
ladibug
ladibug

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Disturbing Details Provided Of Wood Family Sex Ring

Posted: Nov 14, 2013 11:19 AM CST
Updated: Nov 14, 2013 5:55 PM CST
By WKRG Staff

MOBILE, Ala. - The preliminary hearing for the Wood family child sex ring case is underway in a Mobile courtroom.

James Cumbaa, William Brownlee, Wendy Holland, Mendy Kent, Dustin Kent & Nelton Morgan are all in court together this morning for alleged child abuse.

According to witness, a detective with the Mobile Police Department, a child victim involved in the case claims numerous sexual encounters with William Brownlee. The victim was 11-years-old at the time these crimes first began. William Brownlee was a friend of Donald Holland, the uncle of missing teenage mother, Brittney Wood. Holland committed suicide shortly after Brittney went missing.

According to the Detective, the Kent family forced their children to participate in sexual activity and made them touch adults inappropriately.

As the prosecution began describing wide-spread crimes, in which some of the suspects offered up their own children for sex crimes to other defendants, all sitting together, shook their heads.

“What you are faced with is children who grew up almost believing that this was normal, that this is what this family did. It's not like ‘let’s get together for Thanksgiving and carve a turkey.’ This was the normal family interaction,” said Assistant District Attorney, Nicki Patterson.

Detective Corley also said on the stand that twin sisters, Mendy Kent and Wendy Holland have an incestuous relationship, and one of the victims was forced to watch their sexual encounters.

The defense argued they had concerns over a lack of evidence because there has been no physical evidence presented.

"It’s always a difficult situation when you have unsubstantiated testimony. It comes down to a believability issue," said Matt Seymore, Wendy Holland's defense attorney.

"We rarely have DNA in a child sex abuse case. Here these crimes were committed a couple of years ago. DNA doesn't stay around for two years," said Patterson.

Judge York is sending all cases to a grand jury.

Detectives have maintained that this sex crimes investigation is separate from the Brittney Wood missing person case. However authorities said today the whole situation is muddled.

“To me it would seem reasonable that she is deceased and I can’t that it is specifically linked to this case or to that case. But clearly Brittney grew up in this family being raised by these people,” said Patterson.

http://www.wkrg.com/story/23970010/details-come-out-in-prelim-hearing-of-wood-child-sex-ring
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Family of 11 'pedophiles' arrested in case of missing Alabama teen Brittney Wood, 19, including her MOTHER and BROTHER on rape charges

By Ted Thornhill
PUBLISHED: 04:26 EST, 5 December 2013
UPDATED: 11:54 EST, 5 December 2013

Nearly a dozen members of the same Alabama family – including the mother and brother of a missing teen - have been arrested on sex abuse charges.

The arrests are linked to missing mother-of-one Brittney Wood, 19, who hasn’t been seen since she left her Theodore home, just outside Mobile, to visit her uncle, Donnie Holland, in the Styx River area, on Thursday May 31, 2012.

She was last seen in a car with Holland at Tillman's Corner. Two days later he committed suicide using a gun which Brittney owned.
Since then 11 people, either members of the Wood family, or with direct links to it, have been arrested on charges including rape, sex abuse with children under 12, incest and sodomy.

The suspects in the sex ring include Brittney’s mother, Chessie Wood, her brother, Derek Wood, Nelton ‘Butch’ Morgan, Dustin Kent, William ‘Billy’ Brownlee, Mendy Kent, Wendy Holland, James Cumbaa, Randall Scott Wood and Jennifer Moore, the most recent arrest.

Detectives believe that Brittney may have gone to visit her uncle to confront him about sex abuse and have voiced their frustration that the one person who may be able to shed light on the alleged crimes has disappeared.

‘In this particular case, Brittney Wood was that person. She was the person that could tell the whole story.’

Police were investigating the abuse before Brittney's disappearance.

Detectives say Brittney exchanged messages on Facebook on May 27, 2012, with one of the alleged victims, in which abuse was discussed.

After Brittney asked ‘how are you? Tell me what's going on. I don't know what's true and what you said’, the victim claimed to have been raped by Randall Scott Wood, Dustin Kent, and Donald Holland.

‘I love you, I’m sorry,’ Brittney replied.

The alleged victim wrote more messages to Brittney on May 28 and May 30, but did not receive a reply.

In October 2012 a police detective testified in the case against Dustin Kent.

The court heard that Kent raped a relative at the age of 13 in 2008 while her father watched.

According to the detective, the father took the young girl out in his truck claiming they were going to buy a hamster from a pet store.

Instead they picked up Kent and drove to an industrial park.

When the car pulled over, Kent took off her clothes and performed a sex act on her before raping her as her father watched, Sgt. Scott Congleton testified.

'She kept telling him to stop. He did not,' the detective said.

According to AL.com there are at least four victims of alleged abuse. Officers claim some of the victims were under the age of 12 when the attacks took place and are related to those arrested.

Lead prosecutor Mobile County Assistant District Attorney Nicki Patterson told the website that suspected victims have been placed in foster care where necessary.

'This is a more layered group than we have seen or uncovered here in Mobile,' Patterson said.

'Family members sharing their children, unfortunately, is not new. It is not that unusual from what we know.'

'If you’re getting to a third generation and people are still choosing to abuse, sometimes these networks take place'

'Everybody's main interest here is to protect these kids and do the best job that we can.'

'Most of these children are no longer with their immediate family members. They are either in foster care or with extended family.'

Speaking to WKRG.com, she added: 'Pretty much everyone in this extended family was having sex with one another and having sex with the children",

Det. Terri Hall of the Mobile County Sheriff's Office said: 'For just your everyday person, you just can't understand how a family operates the way they operate. You just can't. I can't even think of a word to describe this family.'
Chessie Wood has accused her deceased brother-in-law of killing Brittney.

She maintains her innocence on the sex abuse charges she faces.

The accused are currently awaiting trial.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518600/Family-11-pedophiles-arrested-case-missing-Alabama-teen-Brittney-Wood.html#ixzz2mdA74tMN
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by toomanygone Fri May 30, 2014 11:48 pm

Fox10tv.com has new info on this case as of today!

toomanygone
Cricket Tracker
Cricket Tracker

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Sat May 31, 2014 1:58 am

Brittney Wood Detectives: wait on forensics results, sources “close to case” talking

By walaletishabush
Updated: Friday, May 30, 2014, 8:10 pm
Published: Friday, May 30, 2014, 2:11 pm

Lead investigators working on missing mother Brittney Wood’s case say they are waiting for forensics results on possible evidence found in a vehicle.

Detectives are not revealing who the vehicle belonged to. Only saying they found the vehicle a few months ago, took samples and sent possible evidence to a forensics lab.

Officer Jeff Corley is one of the investigators in Mobile working on the case.

“Ultimately I believe she was murdered. But we are going to have to eventually find her body or have someone come forward as a witness to that,” said Corely.

Corely said people “very close to the case” are cooperating with the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office. He won’t reveal who, but says the interviews are producing leads they are following up on.

“We have a lot of information coming from different sources,” said Corley.

Two years ago the family was searching for Brittney by searching the woods, putting up flyers and talking to the media. They were determined to find her. Now Stephanie Hanke believes her step-daughter is dead.

” I’m starting to believe this was pre-meditated.I want to believe she is somewhere out there alive but with everything going on… even law enforcement doesn’t believe that,” said Hanke.

Reporter: “What is keeping you up at night?”

Hanke: “Not knowing. Still waiting for answers”

Detectives say they sent possible evidence to a forensics lab a few months ago and it will be another couple of months before they get the results.

http://fox10tv.com/2014/05/30/brittney-wood-detectives-wait-on-forensics-results-sources-close-to-case-talking/
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Sat May 31, 2014 2:02 am

toomanygone wrote:Fox10tv.com has new info on this case as of today!

Thanks for the info.

Please feel free to post any information you might see on this case.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Dustin Kent, uncle to Brittney Wood, pleads guilty to rape and sodomy

By Kati Weis
Published: July 31, 2014, 11:01 am
Updated: July 31, 2014, 5:49 pm

BAY MINETTE, Ala. (WALA) – Dustin Kent pleaded guilty to charges of rape and sodomy in a Baldwin County courtroom Thursday morning, July 31.

FOX10 News Reporter Kati Weis was in the courtroom for Kent’s hearing. Teresa Heinz with the Baldwin County District Attorney’s Office told her this hearing resolved the sex charges Kent was facing in Baldwin County.

Kent entered a plea deal that allowed him to drop charges of incest by pleading guilty to rape in the second degree and sodomy in the second degree.

Now, Kent must face a judge for sentencing in October, where he could be sentenced for anywhere between two to 20 years in prison.

Part of the plea deal Kent signed in court dismissed some of the other charges he was facing in Baldwin County, including incest and sodomy.

Nonetheless, the prosecution says this was a big win in the case against Kent.

“They have had an emotional rollercoaster over the last couple of years, and it’s not over yet. And our victims in the case are extremely strong children, and my hope is that we will be able to move past this, and they will be able to move past this, and have normal childhoods like any children deserve to have,” said Heinz.

These charges resolved are in relation to sex crimes he committed against family members ages 12 to 16 back in 2008.

Kent’s lawyer, John Beck, told FOX10 his client did the right thing by signing the plea deal.

“Mr. Kent did the right thing, he took responsibility for what he did, and that’s what this system is all about,” said Beck. “Mr. Kent is going to continue to cooperate in the ongoing investigation, and Mr. Kent knows that he’s going to have to pay the price for his crimes.”

Kent is an uncle by marriage of missing teen mom Brittney Wood. He was one of many family members related to Wood involved in inter-family sex crimes against other children in the family.

Brittney Wood, now 20-years-old, went missing in May 2012, after investigators say she left the home of her uncle, Donald Holland, who later apparently committed suicide. Following her disappearance, several family members, including her brother, mother and the wife of Donald Holland were arrested on sex crimes charges.

Investigators maintain that Kent’s sex crimes are not related to Wood’s disappearance.

Kent and some other Wood family members are still facing charges in Mobile County for alleged sex crimes.

Beck said Thursday that his client will most likely file a similar plea deal in Mobile county, as he did in Baldwin County.

“At this point, we would anticipate that Mr. Kent would be doing the same thing in Mobile County as he’s done here today,” said Beck after the plea deal hearing at the Baldwin County Courthouse.

The prosecution said a plea deal is important, because by Kent pleading guilty, he is further protecting the victims he violated.

“By his actions, and taking responsibility, he is now not putting a child on the stand to have to tell her story,” said Heinz. “That is a critical component for us and any prosecution that we handle, is preventing any more trauma to our victims.”

FOX10 reached out to the Mobile County District Attorney’s office about how those Mobile County charges might be handled, but they did not have a comment at this time.

FOX10 will let you know how Kent’s next hearing, and hearings for other family members involved in these sex crimes, play out.

http://fox10tv.com/2014/07/31/dustin-kent-uncle-to-brittney-wood-pleads-guilty-to-rape-and-dodomy/
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:00 am

Man connected to Brittney Wood's family convicted of child sex abuse charges in 20 minutes

By Thyrie Bland | tbland@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on October 16, 2014 at 2:59 PM, updated October 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM

BAY MINETTE, Alabama -- A 12-member Baldwin County jury took about 20 minutes Thursday to convict an Eight Mile man of sexually abusing a girl who was offered up for sex by a relative.

William "Billy" Brownlee, 50, is one of 11 people who have been arrested in a child sex abuse investigation that  started in 2012. Arrests have been made in Baldwin and Mobile counties. The men and women charged are relatives of missing Mobile County woman Brittney Wood or are friends of her family members.

Brownlee, 50, was found guilty of second-degree sodomy and second-degree sexual abuse. He was convicted of having sex with the girl when she was 12 or 13 years old.

The victim, now 16 years old, is a relative of Wood. Brownlee is a family friend.

Brownlee is set to be sentenced Dec. 18. He could be sent to prison for two to 20 years on the sodomy charge and for up to a year on the sex abuse charge.

Juror Debbie Belaire said she and her fellow jurors found they had reached the same conclusion after going in a room to consider Brownlee's fate.

"To tell you the truth, I think everyone felt like after hearing all of the evidence or lack of it that we were just all on the same page," Belaire said as she was about to leave the Baldwin County Courthouse in Bay Minette. "We just really and truly felt like we made the proper decision."
BRITTNEY WOOD - 19 yo (2012) - Tillmans Corner (SW of Mobile) AL - Page 2 16082544-small
Brownlee

There was no medical or DNA evidence in the case.

When the victim testified Wednesday, she described in graphic detail the incident Brownlee was convicted of. She said a relative was in the room when it happened.

Belaire said it was tough listening to the testimony.

"It was very difficult because your heart aches for children who have been abused," she said. "As a mother and a grandmother and a human being, it's difficult to hear those things really. It really rained on my parade."

Defense attorney Thomas Pilcher said he knew it was going to be tough trying to defend Brownlee, but he gave Brownlee the best defense possible.

Pilcher said he does not think the prosecution proved its case because it was unclear as to how old the victim was when the abuse happened. He said the prosecution needed to prove she was between the ages of 12 and 16.

"There were some inconsistencies in testimony as to how old she actually was," Pilcher said. "My whole argument was we don't know what it is. If we are going by what the victim says, it was not 12."

The victim testified it was hard trying to remember her age because of the amount of abuse she suffered through.

"It happened so many years so much I don't remember what age I was," she said.

Brownlee was on trial for one incident of sexual abuse. The jury was allowed to hear about other allegations of sex abuse that involved Brownlee.

The victim testified she was forced by a relative to have sex with Brownlee several times. She also said members of her family sexually abused her.

The victim's 19-year-old sister accused Brownlee of having sex with her when she was in the eighth grade. A 23-year-old woman testified Brownlee unsuccessfully tried to have sex with her when she was 12 years old.

Pilcher said it's hard to believe the women's testimony didn't weigh on the jurors.

"You can't hear that kind of stuff and not be effected... one way or the other," he said.

Baldwin County Assistant District Attorney Teresa Heinz, who has been involved in the child sex abuse investigation since it started, said she was thankful for the jury's decision.

"I'm just grateful that finally we have a little bit of closure for the victims in this matter," Heinz said.

Of the 11 people charged, Brownlee's case was the first to go to trial. Brownlee was expected to agree to a plea deal in August but backed out of it.

Brownlee also was arrested in Mobile County on child sex abuse charges related to the investigation that started in 2012. The Mobile County charges still are pending.

Cases against four of the people charged in Baldwin County were resolved earlier this year. Two pleaded guilty in open court, and two others were given youthful offender status during closed-door hearings.

"This case will not end until we have turned over every stone of every person who has ever assaulted or taken advantage of these children," Heinz said. "We are not going to stop here. We are going to keep going, so we have a long road ahead of us. This is definitely one step in the process that I am grateful for."

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/10/baldwin_jury_convicts_man_of_c.html
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2