DALTON WILLIAMS - 16 yo - / Charged: Classmate, Braiden McCahren - Pierre SD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DALTON WILLIAMS - 16 yo - / Charged: Classmate, Braiden McCahren - Pierre SD

Post by twinkletoes on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:02 am

South Dakota teen dies in shooting after arguing with friend over a paintball game

Dalton Williams, 16, of Pierre, was found lying in the entryway of the accused shooter's house Tuesday. The alleged shooter, a 16-year-old high school classmate, will be tried as an adult and was charged with first-degree murder. Williams was found with a gunshot wound to the chest. He died at the hospital, police said.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Thursday, December 20, 2012, 7:58 AM
KSFY

A 16-year-old is charged with first-degree murder for allegedly shooting Dalton Williams after fighting over a past paintball incident, South Dakota police said.

A 16-year-old boy fatally shot his friend with a shotgun after the pair argued over a paintball game and playfully wrestled at the boy's home in South Dakota, according to an arrest affidavit released Wednesday.

The victim, Dalton Williams of Pierre, was found lying in the entryway of the accused shooter's house around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday with a gunshot wound to the chest. Paramedics rushed the high school sophomore to a nearby hospital, but he later died.

The accused shooter was arrested at the home on a first-degree murder charge and was being held Wednesday in Hughes County, Pierre Police Chief Bob Grandpre said.

The local prosecutor said the teen is being charged as an adult. He has not yet been arraigned or indicted, so The Associated Press is withholding his name because he is a minor. His attorney didn't immediately return a phone message.

The boys, both 16, were classmates at Riggs High School.

A 16-year-old witness who was hanging out with the boys told detectives that Williams and the other boy began to wrestle around jokingly after arguing about a paintball game.

The accused shooter then retrieved a semi-automatic shotgun, walked into the kitchen area and pointed it at the witness, according to the arrest affidavit.

The witness said he heard the gun click, then saw the accused shooter take a shotgun shell from a drawer, load the gun and point it at him again. The witness said he then heard another click, according to the affidavit.

The witness told police he was trying to leave the house through a sliding glass door when Williams stepped in between him and the accused shooter. The witness told detectives that the gun fired and he observed a splatter, according to the affidavit.

The witness then left the house and called 911.

Grandpre said law enforcement, Pierre School District personnel and mental health professionals are providing support to the school and community.

"We're continuing the investigation to make sure we understand everything that we believe happened inside the house," he said Wednesday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/s-teen-dies-shooting-paintball-argument-article-1.1224208#ixzz2FbCcUf6f

Last edited by twinkletoes on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
twinkletoes
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Re: DALTON WILLIAMS - 16 yo - / Charged: Classmate, Braiden McCahren - Pierre SD

Post by mom_in_il on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Transcripts Released Ahead Of McCahren Trial

September 16, 2014, 5:51 PM
by Ben Dunsmoor

SIOUX FALLS, SD - A Pierre teenager is about to stand trial for the shooting death of a 16-year-old classmate.

Opening statements are expected in the Braiden McCahren trial Wednesday morning. McCahren was 16-years-old when he shot and killed Dalton Williams in December of 2012.

McCahren said he was just 'messing around' and thought the gun was empty.

McCahren is now 18 years old and facing murder charges which were filed after the shooting death of Williams.

Another teen, Tyus Youngberg, was in the home at the time and called 911 after McCahren pulled the trigger.

A transcript of that call was filed last week ahead of the trial as an exhibit for the prosecution.

In it Youngberg says "We were -- he was messing around with the gun and he pulled the trigger and it shot him."

McCahren could be heard in the background saying "Ty, I'm going to jail."

In court documents filed following the shooting Youngberg told investigators that McCahren had loaded a shell in the shotgun shortly before the shooting and pointed the gun at him and pulled the trigger but Youngberg said the gun just clicked.

Youngberg told authorities that McCahren pointed the gun at him again but that this time Dalton Williams stepped in between the two and when McCahren pulled the trigger the gun fired and killed the 16 year old.

"I swear to God it was (expletive) empty," McCahren told a Pierre police officer shortly after the shooting according to a transcript of the conversation filed Friday.

"It was empty," McCahren went on to tell the officer. "I was just screwing around and I thought it was completely empty and I was just messing around so I could just go like click. Do you know what I mean?"

But whether McCahren was just messing around or whether McCahren committed murder is what a jury will now have to decide.

McCahren's trial has been moved to Winner, South Dakota because of publicity in the Pierre area.

Beadle County State's Attorney Michael Moore has been appointed as the special prosecutor in the case.

The trial is expected to last for the next week and a half.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/transcripts-released-ahead-of-mccarhen-trial/?id=169469
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top