Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA

+5
admin
mom_in_il
TomTerrific0420
alwaysbelieve
kiwimom
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 Empty Re: BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA

Post by kiwimom Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:30 am

Mom of Missing Teen Leaves Chilling Final Status Updates
Posted: Dec 08, 2010 12:15 PM
Brittany Mae Smith and her mom Tina Brittany Mae Smith and her mom Tina
Tina Smith and her two children Tyler and Brittany Tina Smith and her two children Tyler and Brittany
Halifax Co., VA - Police are still searching for 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith. Tina and Brittany Smith had ties to the Southside. They lived in South Boston before moving to Roanoke several years ago.

Tina's friends say she was too trusting, but that they never expected someone as kind as she was to be murdered. They say now the focus is on finding her daughter.

Lisa Ennemoser and Mark Lankford have known Tina Smith since they were kids.

"She would give you the shirt off her back, she would do anything to make you laugh," said Ennemoser.

"Somebody that you've known for pretty much all your life it's just shocking to hear that something like that has happened," said Lankford.

Friends say Tina's family has already been through a major tragedy. Tina's son, Tyler, died a little more than a year ago.

"She has been through some rough times with Tyler, dealing with Tyler's death," said Ennemoser.

As a result of his death, Tina spent a lot of her time raising awareness about the choking game, where people suffocate themselves in order to get a "high."

ABC 13 did a story with both Tina and Brittany in September 2009.

"He's gone and I know that I won't be able to see him for awhile," said Brittany in that interview.

"It'll prevent another mom from going through this, another life being lost, another sister crying out in her sleep for her brother, that's the whole purpose of Tyler's cause," said Tina back in 2009.

Tina's Facebook wall is full of comments from devastated friends, but it's her final posts that have Ennemoser wondering if Tina knew something was going to happen to her.

On December 2 at 9:30 p.m., Tina wrote "If I should die before I wake, God Bless my friends. May I be remembered for my good heart and hopeless romantic ways."

Tina's last status update was on December 3 about 1:30 p.m. She wrote, "God, please protect us from the evils of this world."

"I keep getting cold chills thinking about it and praying that Brittany's going to come home okay," said Ennemoser.
http://www.wset.com/Global/story.asp?S=13633373
kiwimom
kiwimom
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 Empty Re: BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA

Post by kiwimom Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:59 am

http://www.gazettevirginian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2173:community-waits-holds-hope-as-search-continues-for-missing-girl&catid=34:news&Itemid=54

As the massive search continued Tuesday for missing 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith of Salem, and an autopsy was being conducted on her mother, Tina Louise Dyer Smith, relatives and friends in South Boston prayed fervently for the young girl’s safe return and questioned whether this tragic turn of events somehow could have been prevented.Roanoke County Police found the body of the 41-year-old former Halifax County resident Monday when they were called to her Fort Lewis Circle home in Salem.

While at the scene, police obtained information indicating Smith’s 12-year-old daughter was missing.

An Amber Alert was issued Monday afternoon for the young girl who had called South Boston home up until four years ago prior to her parents’ divorce.

Her father, Benjamin H. Smith, is a South Boston Police officer.

The series of tragic events have left the community reeling as relatives and friends of the family anxiously await any word of Brittany’s whereabouts.

The victim’s mother and missing girl’s grandmother, Liz Dyer of South Boston, said Tuesday she continues to wait for any information on her granddaughter’s safety.

“Police have not told us anything,” she said speaking from her Eastover Drive home.

“We know she was beaten, and they’re doing an autopsy,” she said of speaking her late daughter, Tina.

Dyer said she only met Brittany’s suspected abductor, Jeffrey Scott Easley, one time.

But she was quick to add, “We didn’t like what we saw.”

The worried grandmother said she had been unaware Easley was living with her daughter and granddaughter until two weeks ago when they came home for Thanksgiving.

“I saw him for the first time Thanksgiving,” and Dyer said what the family saw that day concerned members enough to prompt them to contact Social Services.

Dyer’s sister, who asked not to be identified, said she hosted the family’s Thanksgiving gathering attended by Tina, Brittany and Easley at her home in the county.

“He kept touching her (Brittany’s) hair, caressing her, touching her hand and consuming her with his eyes,” she said. “Normally I would have said something then and there, but the house was full of people.”

The aunt, who was contacted by Headline News’ Nancy Grace for her Monday night program on the missing girl, explained several days after the Thanksgiving dinner she called her niece (Tina) in Salem to express her concerns.

“I called Tina, and she said ‘he’s leaving right away.’ I told her to call me when he left. After she said he was leaving, I thought things were ok,” the aunt continued.

Social Services contacted

The concerned relative said she attempted to report her concerns to Social Services in Halifax County because “she didn’t know where to start.”

She also dialed an 800 number for child abuse to provide information about her concerns.

“The lady said she would relay the information to Salem Social Services but told me it would be better if I called them directly. I called Salem Social Services and gave them this information Friday, but by that time it was too late,” she said.

The last time the aunt said she talked with Tina was the week after Thanksgiving on either Monday or Tuesday.
“She was to call me when he left, but she never called,” she reiterated.

Although family members said they were unclear how Smith and Easley met, authorities confirmed Tuesday it was through an online Internet relationship.

The aunt described Brittany as a child who always has loved attention.

“And he was paying her a lot of attention,” she said.

“Poor Tina lived in a different world than the rest of us. She always thought everyone was good, and everything would be ok,” her aunt said. “You can look at what she wrote on Facebook and see that it sounds like it came out of a storybook or fairytale.”

When asked about information reported on the Nancy Grace program Monday night concerning Brittany’s name change on Facebook from Brittany Smith to Brittany Easley, the aunt said, “I can explain that. She and her friends would change their names to their best friends names.”

The aunt said prior to changing her last name on Facebook to Easley, she had changed it to Conner or some other name.

Meanwhile, Brittany’s father traveled to the Roanoke Police Station on Monday to assist in the investigation before returning home Monday evening, the aunt said.

Church family

The family’s pastor, the Rev. John Eure of Ash Avenue Baptist Church, also traveled to Roanoke to be with Officer Smith and family members including Tina’s sister, Tracey White of South Boston.

Prior to the divorce, Tina and her husband were members of Ash Avenue Baptist Church, and Eure said he later had the privilege of baptizing Brittany.

“Bennie had shared custody, and Brittany always came with him to church when she was with him,” he said.

Eure, who has served as pastor at Ash Avenue Baptist Church for the past 10 years, said Brittany was 3 “and running all over the place when I first came here.”

The last time he saw her was earlier this fall when she came with her father to church.

“With her living in Roanoke, I didn’t have as much contact, but we were always glad to see her.”

Eure, who had taken a vacation day Monday, said he was in between Danville and Martinsville shopping when he got the call from Brittany’s father about the Amber Alert.

“It was just a shocker. He said he had gotten some information, and it wasn’t very good,” the pastor said.

“It was amazing how I was positioned to get to Roanoke. God had worked that out, and I was glad I could be there for the family, but I hated the circumstances,” he said.

“We watched that child grow up in church, and she’s the church’s child too. We hope by bearing some of this family’s pain, we can help ease some of their pain,” Eure said adding, “Benny has a strong faith.”

A shaken community

Brittany’s former babysitter, Linda Satterfield of South Boston, who also attends Ash Avenue Baptist Church, said this ordeal “has really gotten to me.

“I kept her during her early school years when she was in the third and fourth grade and during the summer. I would get her off the school bus,” Satterfield said. “She’s one of my children, and it’s really hard.”

She said she has maintained her relationship with the family and enjoys seeing Brittany when she comes to church with her father.

“She’s a beautiful girl, a loving, caring child,” Satterfield said, adding that she often talked with Brittany’s mom even after she and her daughter moved to Salem.

“I pray to God Brittany can find a way to get away and call and get help. It’s awful for a child to go through that. I hope they find her soon,” her former babysitter said.

Another friend of the family, Buddy Wilborn of South Boston, said he grew up in the same community with Tina and Bennie and recently “had bumped into” Tina at Food Lion in South Boston.

“It was the first time in several years I had seen her to speak to her,” he said.

“We used to go to church together, we talked about that and about her job. She was here for a Thanksgiving get-together,” Wilborn recalled.

“She told me she and Brittany were going to church in Roanoke and that she was still involved in church. We talked about Ash Avenue (church) some.
“It was really a strange coincidence. We had a good 15 to 20 minute conversation and talked about old times,” Wilborn said describing his old friend as “a really nice and polite person ever since I’ve known her.”
A prayer vigil was held Tuesday evening at Ash Avenue Baptist Church with members of the community gathering to pray for the young girl’s safe return and for the family as they struggle to cope with the loss of Brittany’s mother, Tina.
Efforts to contact Tina’s sister, Tracey White, and her brother, Donny Dyer, were unsuccessful Tuesday. Next >
kiwimom
kiwimom

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwimom Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:08 am

Wow. So everyone saw the problem and tried to take some sort of action. Interesting that the family called social services. Did they not have any faith in Tina to protect her daughter and get rid of this creep? Whatever happened to just getting in this guys face and telling him to bugger off or I'll blow your brains out. Instead they said 'please pass the turkey'.
I guess it must have been an awkward situation at Thanksgiving but come on people!
kiwimom
kiwimom

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:40 am

alwaysbelieve wrote:http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000086091737

Brittany Easley

Report/Block this PersonShare
People who aren't friends with Brittany see only some of her profile information. If you know Brittany personally, add her as a friend.
About Me
Basic Info
Sex: Female

So, why is Brittany on facebook using the last name of her abductor?
Yes, it's the same girl but I can't get the pic to post so I put a link at the top.
---Here's that pic you wanted...
BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 41499_100000086091737_7316_n
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:47 am

So, why is Brittany on facebook using the last name of her abductor?
---Ya see, it's like this... She was "totally" infatuated with this guy. God only knows what they did when mom went out of the house for awhile.
Like many girls her age, she has grown up too fast (and in this case without a consistent or proper male role model) and fancies herself as an adult already.
I am beginning to wonder if she didn't somehow play a role in her mothers' demise, so like his thought pattern, they could get rid of the roadblock in the way of their love.
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:27 am

The search for a missing 12-year-old Virginia girl is still on tonight, after her mother was found dead in their home. A person of interest believed to be with the girl is from right here in the east.Virginia State Police say they now have surveillance video of 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith at a Salem Wal-Mart Friday night.The person of interest, 32-year-old Jeff Easley, is from the Pitt County area and was with Brittany in that surveillance video."Last night I went to bed and I was worried from what I know about you and Brittany. I wondered if you were hungry or if ya'll were cold. You know you can call me and I just want you to come home and I want you be safe," said Sallie Martin, Jeff Easley’s mother.Sally Martin pleads for her son, Jeff Easley; a man police have spent four days searching for. Jeff Easley, last seen Friday, is a person of interest in the case of missing 12-year-old Brittany Smith.Brittany's mother, 41-year old Tina Smith, was found dead in her Virginia home last Friday.Police say Tina befriended Easley and he was living with the family.Tonight, Smith's 2005 silver Dodge Neon and her daughter Brittany are nowhere to be found."When I heard that, I didn't believe it at first and then everyone was sending me messages and stuff," said a high school friend of Easley’s.We spoke with a friend of Easley's during his time at Ayden-Grifton high school. She asked that we not reveal her identity."He was a good person to be around. He wasn’t loud. He wasn’t obnoxious. He didn't drink; he didn't do anything crazy," she said. "He was quiet and withdrawn, he kept to himself. He would talk to me because I was his friend but he wouldn't talk to a whole lot of other people you know, he talked to the same two or three people every day."Easley's mother hopes he decides to talk to someone... soon."Call 911 or give me a call. Come to the house. Do whatever you need to do; we'll help you work this out... I love you," said Martin.Police have obtained felony warrants for attempted credit card fraud and credit card larceny after Easley reportedly used a credit card belonging to Tina Smith at the Salem Wal-Mart.Pitt County Law Enforcement have also partnered with the Virginia State Police to help search for Smith and Easley.There was a candle-light vigil tonight in remembrance of Tina in Roanoke, Virginia.If you have any information, police ask you contact them at (540) 777-8641 or at findbrittany@roanokecountyva.gov.
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:29 am

Here's a screen capture of the Wal-Mart video

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 113795
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:31 am

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 Poc82j4ccg1ge91
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwimom Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 pm

UPDATED: Roanoke County police chief says Jeffrey Easley bought camping gear at Walmart Friday

Easley and 12-year-old Brittany Smith left the Salem Walmart with a blue Ozark Trail domed tent

Jeff Easley, the man police believe abducted 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith, bought camping equipment including a blue Ozark Trail 13' x 10' domed tent at Walmart in Salem Friday night.

Police are asking the public to look out for this tent as well as the 2005 Dodge Neon he is believed to be using. They would still like to talk to anyone who may have observed the pair in Walmart while Easley was making purchases.

Easley and Brittany Smith were caught on surveillance tape at the Salem Walmart. Easley used Brittany's mother's credit card at Walmart. Tina Smith was found dead in her home Monday morning.

In addition to the tent, Roanoke Co. Police chief Ray Lavinder says the pair bought other camping equipment and some bottled drinks.

Police also shared photos of Easley's tattoo in Wednesday afternoon's news conference. They say Easley has a red star tattoo as well as one that police describe as a black tribal sign.

Roanoke County Police Chief Ray Lavinder says the search for Brittany Mae Smith is moving well beyond Virginia into North Carolina, Alabama, West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. Amber alerts for the 12-year-old have been issued all of those states. The chief says he doesn't know if Easley is armed.

Lavinder appealed to Easley to allow Brittany to be involved in the planning of her mother's funeral and to attend the funeral. The chief of police said "It is important that she should be allowed to say goodbye to her mother."

Lavinder restated that he thought someone may be helping the pair survive since Easley had very little money to travel or buy food.Police thanked the Smith and Easley families for their cooperation in the investigation. Jeffrey Easley's mother, Sallie Martin, made a plea directly to her son yesterday asking him to return Brittany safely.Here are the two photos they released during the 3:30 p.m. news conference Wednesday.

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 58161876

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 58161982

Authorities in Roanoke County have filed a felony abduction warrant against 32-year-old Jeff Easley, the man they believe is holding Brittany Mae Smith. In a news conference Wednesday morning Police Chief Ray Lavinder said he had a feeling that someone was helping the pair stay hidden from the police and the public. He says Easley had very little money and no one has seen them in five days. Lavinder said "I'm almost certain someone knows where they are." The chief reinforced that there are laws on the books that could be applied to anyone who is withholding information or sheltering Easley and Smith.

Lavinder reminded the public that Brittany Smith is a 12-year-old girl and not capable of making legal decisions. He says "consent is irrelevant" in this case. He says we must all remember that this is "a 12-year-old girl in the company of a 32-year-old man."

Police believe Easley is traveling in Tina Smith's 2005 Dodge Neon. They believe the car has a small spoiler added to the back which may make it more identifiable.

Lavinder says police believe Brittany's mother, Tina, was killed in her home on Friday but authorities will never know for sure exactly when. Easley is accused of using Tina Smith's credit card at the Salem Walmart Friday night. Salem police have issued warrants against him for credit card fraud and larceny.

When asked what the pair bought at Walmart, Lavinder would not disclose the information but indicated police may have more details on that aspect of the investigation in a briefing later today.

The chief says the credit cards have not been used since Friday night. Police also say Brittany Smith has not used her cell phone.

Lavinder expressed concerns on national television Wednesday morning and again in today's news conference that the social networking sites Facebook and MySpace have not been very cooperative with authorities.

Watch news conference here; http://www.kspr.com/news/local/wdbj-amber-alert-issued-for-missing-120610,0,2185874.story?track=rss

If you're a member of FB or MS let's get onto them and complain.
kiwimom
kiwimom

Back to top Go down

Post by alwaysbelieve Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:05 am

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-looking-for-brittany-mae-smith-120810,0,2873373.story

Looking for Brittany Mae Smith: The role of Facebook

How Social Media websites play into this case

Jean Jadhon WDBJ-TV Anchor/Reporter
5:36 p.m. EST, December 8, 2010

Police are looking everywhere for answers to find Brittany Mae Smith, including the Internet. Investigators believe Smith and Jeff Easley's Facebook and My Space accounts could provide clues to help the investigation. "We have made a number of attempts to get into the site," said Roanoke County Police Chief Ray Lavinder. "We had some success late this morning."
Gaining access to the sites has not been easy, however, because according to Lavinder, Facebook and My Space have denied police full access. "They granted us limited information to those sites," Lavinder said at a 3:30pm Wednesday press conference. "We'll pursue whatever options are available to get that data."
Meanwhile a site has gone up on Facebook urging Facebook to give up that information. Another site has been created as well. It's called 'Help Find Brittany Mae Smith.' More than 4,000 people have joined that site already, however, according to Hollins University Media Professor Vladimir Bratic "a whole lot fewer people are actually contributing to it."
Bratic said social media websites make it easy for people to feel like they're involved even if they really aren't. "With very little sacrifice. It's just one click away and you become part of a cause," Bratic said. "You feel validated for what you are doing by participating in all of this."
Many people have expressed condolences regarding Tina Smith's murder and others have used Facebook to 'talk' about the case. Bratic believes this is all simply a new way of doing something very old.
"They were sort of kitchen table water cooler kind of conversations that we had with a few people privately but now these conversations are no longer private they're happening with lots and lots of people," Bratic said.
Meanwhile the laws that would allow investigators to gain access to websites may not be keeping up with the technology.

The U.S. Attorney's office is now involved in the case. A spokesperson there told News 7 because they are involved in the case they can't talk about it.
A spokesperson did say getting information from across state lines such as from Facebook that's headquartered in California would fall to federal authorities.
Copyright © 2010, WDBJ7-TV
alwaysbelieve
alwaysbelieve

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:55 am

Speaking directly to 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith through the media, members of her family tearfully asked her to come home to them.Her cousin, Kim Stephenson, told her that she loved her unconditionally. She said "I pray for you everyday and will continue to pray for you."Brittany's aunt, Carolyn Stephenson, asked her to come home to Christmas cookies and "to open all your presents under the tree."The family members who traveled to Roanoke County for the news conference were part of Brittany's father's side of the family. Her father works for the South Boston VA police department.
----------Jeff Easley, the man police believe abducted 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith, bought camping equipment including a blue Ozark Trail 13' x 10' domed tent at Walmart in Salem Friday night.

Police are asking the public to look out for this tent as well as the 2005 Dodge Neon he is believed to be using. They would still like to talk to anyone who may have observed the pair in Walmart while Easley was making purchases.

Easley and Brittany Smith were caught on surveillance tape at the Salem Walmart. Easley used Brittany's mother's credit card at Walmart. Tina Smith was found dead in her home Monday morning.

In addition to the tent, Roanoke Co. Police chief Ray Lavinder says the pair bought other camping equipment and some bottled drinks.

Police also shared photos of Easley's tattoo in Wednesday afternoon's news conference. They say Easley has a red star tattoo as well as one that police describe as a black tribal sign.

Roanoke County Police Chief Ray Lavinder says the search for Brittany Mae Smith is moving well beyond Virginia into North Carolina, Alabama, West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky. Amber alerts for the 12-year-old have been issued all of those states. The chief says he doesn't know if Easley is armed.

Lavinder appealed to Easley to allow Brittany to be involved in the planning of her mother's funeral and to attend the funeral. The chief of police said "It is important that she should be allowed to say goodbye to her mother."

Lavinder restated that he thought someone may be helping the pair survive since Easley had very little money to travel or buy food.Police thanked the Smith and Easley families for their cooperation in the investigation. Jeffrey Easley's mother, Sallie Martin, made a plea directly to her son yesterday asking him to return Brittany safely.
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 Empty What to look for when a child goes missing

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:07 am

TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:14 pm

LE is expanding their search area to beyond the Virginia state borders. If they are camping, likely that they have gone farther south. Florida, Texas, Nevada... anyplace that isn't getting sub-freezing temperatures at night.

Last edited by TomTerrific0420 on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : type-ohhh)
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:15 pm

The thing that concerns me is, if they are camping, there aren't television sets in the woods. no no

I wonder if Brittany even knows about her mom? I wonder if Brittany even knows that so many people are looking for her? She may think she is just on a fun camping expedition.
admin
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:59 pm

We're expecting a news conference with Roanoke County Police at 3:30 p.m. to update the Amber Alert investigation for 12-year-old Brittany Smith, and her suspected abductor, 32-year-old Jeffrey Easley.Local, state, and federal officers are searching both campgrounds and rest areas on a daily basis since the revelation that Easley bought a tent at the Salem Walmart this past Friday night, with Tina Smith's credit card.Police found Tina dead in her Fort Lewis area home this past Monday morning, and issued the Amber Alert for her daughter Brittany shortly after noon on Monday. Investigators said on Wednesday that they are not certain if Brittany knows her mother is dead.Investigators tell Scott that the searches include closed campground sights along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Park Rangers are checking to see if anyone snuck in.Police in Florida issued an Amber Alert for Brittany late Wednesday night, and a false sighting of Easley was called in Thursday morning.
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by alwaysbelieve Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:59 am

Admin wrote:The thing that concerns me is, if they are camping, there aren't television sets in the woods. BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 481824

I wonder if Brittany even knows about her mom? I wonder if Brittany even knows that so many people are looking for her? She may think she is just on a fun camping expedition.

BRITTANY MAE SMITH - 12 yo - (2010) Salem VA - Page 2 126283 I'm not sure, I think Brittany knows what's going on. From what pics I've seen these two have a thing going on and at her young/immature age, she really doesn't have a clue of the consequences. Also, if she didn't have a lot of "father influence" in her life on a daily basis then she'll respond to any male that gives her attention. Such a sad situation, wish they would find her soon.
alwaysbelieve
alwaysbelieve

Back to top Go down

Post by alwaysbelieve Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:07 am

http://abcnews.go.com/US/12-year-brittany-mae-smith-missing-week/story?id=12357237

Aunt Pleads for Brittany Mae Smith to Come Home in Time forChristmas

Cop Says 'Great Deal of Concern' Over Lack of Sightings

By JESSICA HOPPER

Dec. 9, 2010

Relatives of missing 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith appealed today to the man suspected of holding her to let the girl come home safely for Christmas.

The women, all sisters of Brittany's murdered mother Tina Smith directed their pleas at Jeffrey Scott Easley, a 32-year-old man who moved in with Brittany and her mother in October and was last seen on a surveillance camera leaving a Walmart store in Salem, Va., with Brittany last Friday."Mr. Easley, I know you don't know me, but, sir, please let Brittany come home for Christmas," said Rhonda, one of Brittany's aunts, at a press conference. The women did not want to reveal their last names.

Another aunt said, "Jeff, we hope you'll do the right thing and bring Britt home. We'd like to have her back so we can say goodbye and make final funeral plans for her mom."The search for Brittany and Easley now spans eight states and police have received 500 tips.. "I've been in police work a long time... not to hear anything or not to have any confirmed sightings, that's a great deal of concern to me," Roanoke County, Va., Police Chief Ray Lavinder said.

Police issued an Amber Alert for Brittany on Dec. 6 after discovering the body of her 41-year-old mother.A coroner ruled the death a homicide. Police said that finding Brittany and Easley is key to the murder investigation.

"I think that once we locate Brittany -- and we're concerned about her safety and that's paramount in our objectives here -- once we locate her and Mr. Easley, I think that will open a lot of doors for us in the homicide investigation," Lavinder said at a press conference earlier this week.The search for the missing seventh grader led law enforcement to issue Amber Alerts in North Carolina, California, Florida, Alabama, West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky. Billboards with Brittany's picture have also been put up in those states too.Along with the expanded search, authorities said that Easley bought camping equipment including a blue, Ozark Trail domed tent.

"It could be at a camping facility or it could be anywhere," Lavinder said of the tent.On Wednesday, Virginia police obtained a felony warrant against Easley for the abduction of Brittany."We're certainly pursuing him to execute this warrant," Lavinder said. "Never forget the fact that she's a 12-year-old girl in the company of a 32-year-old man, she's at risk and we're very concerned about her safety."The chief also said that investigators believe someone may be helping Easley and Brittany."I'm almost positive that someone out there knows where Brittany and Mr. Easley are. The weather has been very bad … they need food. Someone, if they are still in this region, is hiding them, I'm certain of that," Lavinder said.

Police aren't ruling out the possibility that Brittany may have gone willingly with Easley, but they reiterate that she is still in danger."We've heard a lot of rumors about a relationship between Mr. Easley and Brittany and I'd like to say this morning is -- what we're dealing with is a 12-year-old girl and she can't make legal decisions. Consent is irrelevant if she wanted to go with him or not go with him," Lavinder said.

Friends Describe Tina Smith As Trusting

As police focus on finding Brittany, friends of the missing girl's family said that Brittany's murdered mother, Tina, was too trusting.Lisa Ennemoser and Mark Lankford have known Tina Smith since childhood."She would give you the shirt off her back, she would do anything to make you laugh," Ennemoser told ABC affiliate WSET.Now, police are investigating whether Tina Smith's willingness to let Easley live with her and her daughter led to her daughter's disappearance and her own death.

Tina Smith and Easley began an online relationship this summer. Easley moved into the family's home in October. He worked as a landscaper.

Along with questions about the nature of Tina's relationship with the man, investigators are still determining Easley's relationship with Brittany.The missing seventh grader's Facebook page lists her name as "Brittany Easley" instead of her legal name. Her Myspace page's latest update reads "Brittany Easleys what they call me."

If you know anything about Brittany Mae Smith's disappearance, authorities urge you to email findbrittany@roanokecounty.va.gov or call the Roanoke County Police at 540-777-8641 or the Virginia State Police at 1-800-822-4453.
alwaysbelieve
alwaysbelieve

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:43 am

No sightings of 12-year-old Brittany Smith in six days causes great concern for police

mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 pm

From mermaid:

mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Breaking News: Brittany Mae Smith has been found

According to Roanoke County police 12-year old Brittany Mae Smith has been safely located and 32-year old Jeffrey Scott Easley of Roanoke County, VA has been taken into custody in another state.

More details to follow. We will hold a press conference at 8:00 p.m. in the lobby of the Roanoke County Public Safety Center located at 5925 Cove Road, Roanoke.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj-breaking-news-brittany-mae-sm-121010,0,7869013.story
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:55 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/10/virginia.missing.child/index.html

Excerpt:

(CNN) -- A 12-year-old Virginia girl has been found, along with the 32-year-old man that police believe abducted her, Roanoke, Virginia, county authorities said Friday.

Police said in an e-mailed statement that Brittany Mae Smith "has been safely located," and that Jeffrey Scott Easley has been taken into a custody in a state outside Virginia.

Further information -- including where the two were found, and under what circumstances -- was not immediately available. A press conference involving Roanoke County police is set for 8 p.m. ET.
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:00 am

Official: missing Va. girl found unharmed

--- Original Story ---

SAN FRANCISCO, CA. - The missing 12 yr. old girl Brittany Smith is found.

Authorities say 32-year old Jeff Easley was arrested in San Francisco, CA and the girl Brittany Smith is fine.

That information exclusively heard here first on WNCT.

For more information on the Easley/Smith story, click here.

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2010/dec/10/wnct-exclusive-missing-girl-found-ar-607600/?referer=None&shorturl=http://wnct.com/ar/607600/
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:03 am

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/270398

Excerpt:

"She's safe," said Liz Dyer of South Boston, Brittany's grandmother. "We're so glad. We're bouncing off the walls."

Brittany has talked to her father, South Boston Police Officer Benny Smith, Dyer said. She said the police asked her not to say where Brittany was found.
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:12 am

Live streaming news conference at 8:00PM:

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/livestreaming/
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by admin Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:17 am

I'm so glad they found her!

admin
admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next