Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC

4 posters

Go down

TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC Empty TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC

Post by kiwimom Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Girl, 3, identified in homicide by child abuse case

Jan 27, 2011 6:18 AM
TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC 13912244_BG2
Jeraldine Brockington (Source: Florence County Detention Center)
TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC 13912244_BG3
Kesha Grant (Source: Florence County Detention Center)TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC Icon_enlarge Click image to enlarge

FLORENCE COUNTY, SC
(WMBF) – The Florence County Sheriff's Office is currently
investigating the suspicious death of a three-year-old girl, and says
two people have been arrested for homicide by child abuse early Wednesday morning.
Capt. Michael Nunn, spokesman for the Florence
County Sheriff's Office, said Jeraldine Brockington, 42, and Kesha
Grant, 23, both of Florence, are currently in custody at the Florence County Detention Center.
Florence County Coroner Bubba Matthews said a baby
was brought into a Florence hospital around 2 p.m. Tuesday, dead on
arrival. Matthews said the little girl had evidence that led them to believe she was abused.
The little girl has been identified as Tylashia Grant.
Nunn said Kesha Grant is Tylashia's cousin, while
Brockington is Tylashia's great aunt. It is unknown at this time where
Tylashia's mother is, and deputies are searching for her.
Matthews said the investigation into the cause of her death is being
centered around serious burns the girl had on her body.
Nunn said the case was originally investigated by
the Florence Police Department, but because there are some questions
about the exact location of the homicide, the FCSO has now become involved as well.
According to Nunn, other charges may be filed, as
the case remains under investigation by both the sheriff's office as well as the city's police department.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/13912244/3-year-old-girl-brought-to-the-hospital-dead-2-arrested-for-homicide
kiwimom
kiwimom
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down

TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC Empty Re: TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC

Post by kiwimom Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:05 am

Two women who were supposed to be taking care of a 3-year-old girl are now
charged with her death, according to the Florence County Sheriff's
Office.
Florence County's coroner, Bubba Matthews, says Tylashia Grant was already dead
when a relative brought her to the emergency room Tuesday with burns on
her body. And though he's not sure if that's what caused her death,
doctors called police.
Investigators determined Tylashia was abused at her family's home on Badger Lane in
Florence County. Neighbors wondered what was going on when they saw all
the commotion at the house. "I came out my front door cause I heard the
sirens and seen the lights, and all I saw was a lot of officers
everywhere and I was kind of concerned," said Lee Oneal.
Deputies arrested Jeraldine Brockington, the child's great aunt, and Kesia
Grant, the child's cousin. Both were taking care of the child, according
to deputies. They're both charged with homicide by child abuse.Capt. Mike Nunn, with the Florence County Sheriff's Office says additional charges against the women are possible.
Neighbors say they didn't have much contact with the family but often saw
Tylashia getting off the school bus and walking home by herself. They
say they often wondered why someone wasn't there to meet the little girl.

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=572541
kiwimom
kiwimom

Back to top Go down

TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC Empty Re: TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 pm

The grandmother of a girl who died in Florence
last week is raising questions about how the Department of Social
Services handled her case.
On Jan. 25, 3-year-old Ty'Lashia Grant was taken
to a McLeod Medical Center in Florence around 2 p.m. She was pronounced
dead on arrival by Florence County Coroner Bubba Matthews.
Matthews said there was evidence Ty'Lashia had
been abused, and said the investigation into the cause of her death is
being centered around serious burns she had on her body.
Ty'Lashia's maternal great aunt and cousin,
Geraldine Brockington, 42, and Kesha Grant, 23, both of Florence, were
arrested early Jan. 26 and charged with homicide by child abuse.
According to a child support order filed in family court in November of 2009, Brockington had custody of Ty'Lashia at that time.
Ty'Lashia's paternal grandmother Vivian Andrews
said the little girl and her mother Temaka Grant lived with Andrews for
months after Ty'Lashia was born on February 24, 2007. Andrews
acknowledges that her son, Ty'Lashia's father, was not actively involved
with the family. Andrews claims while she was on a two-week trip out of
town later in 2007, Brockington filed a complaint with the Department
of Social Services in which she requested DSS to remove Ty'Lashia from
Andrews' home.
DSS has not explained why Brockington was given
custody of Ty'Lashia. Other sources have said Ty'Lashia's mother agreed
to transfer custody to Brockington.
Andrews says DSS never investigated other options for caretakers.
"I waited for somebody to come and talk to me," Andrews said. "Nobody came."
She also says DSS should have investigated
Brockington more and done a more thorough background check. She says to
make matter worse, she does not believe DSS followed up to see if
Ty'Lashia was doing okay at Brockington's home.
"Usually somebody's supposed to go out to the home
and check up on the child when you place them somewhere and see how
that child is doing or at least do a background check on the person that
has that baby. It seems like nobody did nothing," Andrews said. "I feel
that little baby was crying out for help and nobody was paying
attention to her. They did not do what they were supposed to have done."
Andrews says she never knew Brockington, so she
never realized the situation Ty'Lashia was in until she heard about the
little girl's death. She says she made the mistake of trusting that
Ty'Lashia had been put in a safe environment.
A DSS spokesperson in Columbia released the following statement in regards to the case:
"Everyone is deeply saddened and shocked by what
has happened to Tylashia Grant. Our Florence County DSS office also will
investigate Tylashia's death and will cooperate fully with law
enforcement as they prosecute the case. We can confirm that DSS had
prior involvement. The state office will be doing a thorough review and
assessment of what happened in accordance with our child death
protocol. We will review all records and will interview all of the DSS
staff involved. Policy staff will analyze our staff's actions and
decisions to determine whether good practice and whether policies and
procedures were followed," a written statement from the Columbia office
of DSS said.
Tylashia's funeral was Wednesday afternoon at
Monumental Baptist Church on Oakland Avenue in Florence. She was buried
at North View Cemetery immediately follow the ceremony.
http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/13954968/dss-our-florence-co-office-will-cooperate-fully-with-law-enforcement
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Twelfth Circuit Court Judge Michael Nettles has denied bond for two Florence women who are charged with homicide by child abuse.
Jeraldine Brockington, 42, of 825 N. Dargan St., and Kendra Grant, 23, of 1283 Badger Lane, are charged in the death of 3-year-old Ty’Lashia Grant.
The courtroom was filled with family members, including Ty’Lashia’s mother, Temaka Grant, and father, Danny Murray, Florence School District 1 personnel and Florence County Sheriff’s Office investigators.
In arguments to deny bond, 12th Circuit Solicitor Ed Clements III said Ty’Lashia suffered severe burns all over her body, which also showed a history of child abuse.
Clements said several calls were made to the state Department of Social Services because of suspicious injuries and scars to the girl.
Clements also said Ty’Lashia had cerebral palsy and had human growth deficiency.
“This is a horrific case and this child sustained horrible injuries,” he said.
“I couldn’t get the pictures of the child out of my mind,” he said. “This was a case of ongoing abuse.”
Carver Elementary School teacher Meagan Johnson, holding a photograph of Ty’Lashia from her first day of school, described Ty’Lashia as beautiful, loving and always happy.
“Losing her is a tragedy,” Johnson
said. “She brought so much happiness to our lives and we all feel so
blessed to have had an opportunity to love such a precious child.
“She was like a sponge, always eager to learn. She made everyday a
little bit better. She brought so much happiness to our lives.”
Temaka Grant said after the hearing she’s struggling to cope with her daughter’s death.
“I don’t know, it just hit me so hard and just ...I felt like I lost
my breath, like I couldn’t breathe,” she said. “Only thing I could do
was scream ... and I came right home.
“My mom called me, she told me my baby was gone ... she told ...” she said, her voice trailing off, overcome with emotion.
“I mean she was beautiful, she was ... the little girl had the
biggest smile in the world ... and a heart of gold ... She was
innocent.”
Florence County Sheriff’s Office Investigator Jennifer Floyd
testified saying that there were “numerous areas of burns” on
Ty’Lahia’s body and that bond should be denied on the basis of “ensuring
safety of children in the community.”
“Our hearts have been hurting over the past week in reference to this case,” she said.
Clements echoed that sentiment, saying, “I’d be concerned about them (the defendants) being around any other children at all.”
Before rendering his decision Nettles asked Clements who was the most deserving of blame or culpable for the crime, Brockington or Grant. The reason is because both defendants cannot be represented by Florence County public defenders.
After a brief deliberation, Clements said that based on the evidence at this time he thinks Kesha Grant was most to blame.
Based on that, the judge assigned a different attorney to Jeraldine Brockington from out of the area after denying bond for both defendants.
Nettles
said he made the decision to deny bond because of the seriousness of
the offense, both defendants are a flight risk, and they are a danger to
the community.
“Both defendants are to blame, both were present and both knew what
was going on. They’re both guilty,” Clements said following the hearing.
Ty’Lashia Grant died Jan. 25 at McLeod Regional Medical Center in Florence after a relative brought the child, suffering from severe burns and unresponsive, to the emergency room.
Brockington and Grant will remain in custody at the Florence County Detention Center in Effingham. If convicted the each face 20 years to life in jail.
“What the evidence shows is a pattern of abuse, a pattern of neglect
and this child died a horrible painful death,” Clements said. “We’re
going to do everything we can to make sure justice is served.”
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by mermaid55 Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Third woman charged in death of Florence toddler

FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) – A third woman has been charged in connection to the child abuse death of 3-year-old Ty'Lashia Grant, according to the Florence County Sheriff's Office.

Capt. Mike Nunn, spokesman for the Florence County Sheriff's Office, said Kendra Brockington, 21, of Florence, has been charged with accessory after the fact of a felony.

Kendra Brockington was allegedly present at or about the time Ty'Lashia received injuries leading to her death. Officials say Brockington failed to report the incident to authorities or help Ty'Lashia receive medical care.

On Jan. 25, Ty'Lashia was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival by Florence County Coroner Bubba Matthews.

Matthews said Ty'Lashia suffered from injuries consistent with child abuse.

Ty'Lashia's great-aunt, Jeraldine Brockington, and cousin, Kesha Grant, were arrested in connection to Ty'Lashia's death by Florence County deputies. Both were charged with homicide by child abuse and were denied bond.

Nunn said Kendra Brockington is being held at the Florence County Detention Center. A bond hearing is scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/14051913/third-woman-charged-in-death-of-florence-toddler
mermaid55
mermaid55

Back to top Go down

Post by mermaid55 Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:23 pm

Ty'Lashia Grant
TYLASHIA GRANT - 3 yo - Florence (NE of Sumter) SC 14051910
mermaid55
mermaid55

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Woman gets 27 years for 3-year-old cousin's death

Posted: Oct 08, 2012 2:35 PM CST
Updated: Jan 17, 2013 9:55 AM CDT
By WMBF News Staff

FLORENCE COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - One of the three women charged in the death of a three-year-old Florence County girl has been sentenced to spend time in prison.

On Jan. 25, 2011, 3-year-old Ty'Lashia Grant was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival by Florence County Coroner Bubba Matthews.

Matthews said Ty'Lashia suffered from injuries consistent with child abuse.

Ty'Lashia's great-aunt, Geraldine Brockington, and cousin, Kesha Grant, were arrested in connection to Ty'Lashia's death by Florence County sheriff deputies.

Both were charged with homicide by child abuse.

On Monday, October 8, Kesha Grant pleaded guilty to homicide by child abuse and was sentenced to 27 years in prison.

A third suspect in the child's death, Kendra Grant, was charged with accessory after the fact of a felony. Deputies believed she was present at the time the injuries were inflicted, and gave authorities a false name.

Criminal charges against Geraldine Brockington and Kendra Grant are still pending, according to Florence County public records.

Brockington remains incarcerated awaiting trial. Grant was released after her arrest last year on a $15,000 cash surety bond.

http://www.ktre.com/story/19765798/woman-gets-27-years-for-3-year-old-cousins-death
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Brockington sentenced to 23 years in scalding death of 3-year-old

Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 11:19 am | Updated: 3:13 pm, Fri Dec 21, 2012.

The second woman charged with homicide by child abuse in the death of a 3-year-old girl was sentenced to 23 years in prison Friday after pleading guilty to her role in the tragedy.

Geraldine Brockington, 44, of 825 N. Dargan St., Florence, said she didn’t actively participate in pouring pans of scalding hot water down the front and back of Ty’Lashia Grant’s underwear in an effort to potty-train her. But she was her legal guardian and admitted she didn’t take her to the hospital to be treated for the severe burns until at least five days later when the child became unresponsive.

Autopsy reports show Ty’Lashia died Jan. 25, 2011, as a result of septis from second- and third-degree burns about her buttocks and genitals and the toxic effects from adult pain medication given to her after the burns. Grant also suffered head injuries and other signs of abuse.

“I’m guilty, your honor. I’m guilty of neglect. I was there,” Brockington told Circuit Judge Michael Nettles.

“I was selfish. I said I was not going to go down for something I didn’t do,” Brockington said. “Ty’Lashia was a good child. I loved her and she loved me and she deserved so much better. This time, when she needed me most, I failed her. My stupid decision that day not to go get her help cost her her life. There’s no punishment you can give me today, your Honor, that I haven’t already given myself.”

Earlier this week, Brockington’s 24-year-old daughter Kesha Grant pleaded guilty Monday to homicide by child abuse in Ty’Lashia’s death. Grant was sentenced to 27 years after Florence County Sheriff’s Investigator Jennifer Floyd revealed Grant “poured pans of scalding hot water down the front and back of the child’s underwear” in an effort to potty-train her.

Ty’Lashia was then forced to sleep on the floor on “pee-pads” used for animals because she failed to become potty-trained. Ty’Lashia, who was developmentally disabled and also suffered from cerebal palsy, was left to suffer for at least five to seven days. By the time she was taken to the hospital, the burns had become severely infected and Ty’Lashia was unresponsive.

“The distinction, if any, between Miss Brockington and Miss Grant is Miss Grant's was a sin of commission, Miss Brockington's was one of omission," 12th Circuit Solicitor Ed Clements III said Friday morning. He said that while Brockington apparently did not pour the scalding water on Ty'Lashia,  she  allowed the punishment to occur and did not seek medical help for the child.

Ty’Lashia had been removed from her mother’s home by the Department of Social Services and placed with Brockington, who was her legal guardian.

Sandra Sturkie, executive director for Florence County’s S.C. Department of Social Services office, said Monday the agency typically tries to place children with family members rather than in foster care. She said in this case, the department made a mistake.

“We as an agency try to place children with family members or loved ones, because it’s less traumatizing for them than foster care, but in this case, we learned that was the wrong decision. Ty’Lashia was tortured and allowed to suffer,” Sturkie said.

Sturkie also testified that Kesha Grant’s own 6-year-old son told social workers he was forced to participate in the “torture” by heating the pans of water in the microwave and witnessed his mother scalding his young cousin.

Ty’Lashia Grant was a student at Carver Elementary School at the time of her death, and several school representatives were in court including Ty’Lashia’s teacher, Meagan Johnson, who said the child’s death has been devastating for the entire school.

Brockington’s other daughter, 21-year-old Kendra Grant of 1283 Badger Lane, Florence, was arrested by Florence County sheriff’s deputies a month after the child’s death and charged with being an accessory after the fact of a felony.

“Investigators allege that (Kendra Grant) was present at or about the time the child received injuries leading to her death and failed to report the same or attempt to obtain medical attention for the child,” Florence County Sheriff’s Capt. Mike Nunn said in a press release issued at the time of her arrest. Kendra Grant is out of jail on a $15,000 surety bond, according to detention center reports.

http://www.scnow.com/news/local/article_3fda375b-0ea6-5cd6-94a3-09351326df25.html
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down