Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV

Go down

RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV Empty RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV

Post by willcarney Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Mother, stepfather charged with murder in death of former Bloomington boy
By Kevin Barlow and Paul Swiech | kbarlow@pantagraph.com pswiech@pantagraph.com

BLOOMINGTON — Las Vegas police are investigating the beating death of a former Bloomington boy whose mother and stepfather have been arrested in the case.

Police say Roderick Arrington Jr., 7, died at 2 p.m. Friday at University Medical Center Children’s Hospital in Las Vegas. The boy’s stepfather, Markiece Palmer, 34, and the boy’s mother, Dina Palmer, 27, are charged with murder, child abuse and neglect, authorities said.

Meanwhile, staff and children at the Boys & Girls Club of Bloomington-Normal are mourning the boy they knew as RJ.

“It’s a shock,” club Executive Director Nick Sanchez said Tuesday night.

According to the arrest report, Markiece Palmer found Roderick breathing but unresponsive in his bed between 6 and 6:45 a.m. Thursday. Dina Palmer called 911 about 8 a.m.

Hospital officials called police when they observed bruising and massive brain swelling, police said. The boy died the next day.

Dina Palmer told police the bruises and scars were from “whoopins” from both her and her husband. Police executed a search warrant and found a broken broomstick, cords, spatulas and bloodied clothes.

The Palmers remain in the Clark County Detention Center without bail.

Prior to moving to Las Vegas, Roderick lived in Bloomington with his birth father and maternal grandmother, police said. In Las Vegas, he attended Roundy Elementary School.

He attended the Boys & Girls Club regularly from age 5 until late August, Sanchez said. His mother surprised club staff members when she told them that her son would be moving to Nevada, he added.

“There wasn’t a mean streak about the kid,” Sanchez said. “He was well liked. He was a soft-spoken, little kid.”

During summer camp, when children were asked to read from their favorite book, he read from the Bible, Sanchez said. “One of the staff nicknamed him ‘The Reverend,’” Sanchez recalled. “He got a big kick out of it.”

As word of RJ’s death spread, children at the club have been asking a lot of questions and they and staff are grieving, Sanchez said. He’s looking into bringing a counselor to the club to help the children and into whether the club can help pay for funeral expenses.

Funeral services are pending at Kibler-Brady-Ruestman Memorial Home in Bloomington.

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/mother-stepfather-charged-with-murder-in-death-of-former-bloomington/article_eb422036-3e6d-11e2-a29b-0019bb2963f4.html

This is a local story about a local boy. My heart cries for him. William
willcarney
willcarney
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : NEVER assume your child is safe, KNOW.

Back to top Go down

RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV Empty Re: RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV

Post by willcarney Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:12 pm

LAS VEGAS -- Shaken and beaten, 7-year-old Roderick "RJ" Arrington Jr. could not survive the abuse by his stepfather, according to Metro Police homicide detectives.

Investigators said RJ, a second grader at Roundy Elementary School, died after his stepfather, Markiece Palmer, beat and shook him to death.

As RJ was being abused, his mother, Dina Palmer, stood by and let her husband do it, the investigators said. The boy wasn't taken to a doctor until his brain started to swell and bleed.

In a video posted to Facebook, RJ can be heard singing the gospel song, "This Little Light of Mine."

"Jesus gave it to me; I'm gonna let it shine," RJ sings.

Just a couple months ago, Arrington was singing his Bible songs in his grandmother's Illinois home.

"(I) just put him on the plane three months ago," RJ's grandmother, Latanza Harris, said.

On Tuesday, the Palmers appeared before a judge in Las Vegas Justice Court, each facing charges of murder and child abuse and neglect.

Dina Palmer cried in court as authorities read the charges aloud.

According to police, Markiece Palmer beat RJ with a spatula, belt and possibly a wooden paddle after he said the boy lied about reading a Bible verse and not doing his homework.

Dina Palmer allowed the boy's stepfather to punish him, the police said.

"He missed the first plane out here and he said, ‘Grandma, I want to see my mommy,'" Harris said. "I said, ‘I know, I know.'"

In addition to a massive swelling of the brain, RJ also had bruising and open wounds.

Markiece Palmer told investigators he grabbed RJ by the arms and "shook him hard."

Jeanne Cosgrove, a registered nurse for Sunrise Hospital's trauma services, said a traumatic brain injury is extremely painful.

Harris said Markiece Palmer tried to control his wife, not allowing her to use the phone without supervision, demanding money and separating her from family.

"I just have to forgive myself for letting (her) come out here because it was a struggle to let him go," Harris said.

Harris said she will soon return to Illinois to lay RJ to rest.

The Palmers are expected back in court Thursday.

According to child abuse experts, oftentimes the abuser is not the biological mother or father, but instead a family friend or stepparent.

RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV 20261396_BG1
Roderick "RJ" Arrington Jr. at the airport before departing for Las Vegas to live with his mother and stepfather.
RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV 20261396_BG4
RJ sings "This Little Light of Mine."

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/20261396/mother-accused-of-killing-son-cries-as-charges-read

Such a happy little boy. I would love him with all my heart and soul even being a different race. My soul cries for him. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV Empty Re: RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV

Post by willcarney Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Vegas mom, stepdad in court for boy's slaying
Posted: Dec 04, 2012 11:07 AM CST Updated: Dec 04, 2012 8:30 PM CST
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
A Las Vegas couple charged in the beating death of a 7-year-old boy appeared in court Tuesday for an initial hearing.

Markiece Palmer, 34, and his wife, Dina Palmer, 27, were charged with child abuse, neglect and murder in connection to the death of Roderick "R.J." Arrington, Jr.
A public defender was ordered to serve as counsel for the two, according to Clark County Courts. A bail hearing was scheduled for Thursday.

According to Las Vegas Metro police, Roderick was unresponsive when he was admitted to a local hospital. The boy was observed to have had critical injuries, according to authorities.

Roderick died on Nov. 30.

Markiece Palmer, who was Roderick's stepfather, admitted to striking the boy with his belt before shaking him just two days before he died.

According to police, Markiece also told officers the child ran down a flight of stairs, slipped and hit his head on a table before falling backwards on the floor.
Dina Palmer, who is Roderick's mother, also admitted to striking the child, according to an arrest report.

Police discovered marks on the child and Dina Palmer admitted to having given him "whoopins."

Some of the reasons for those "whoopins" included failure to complete homework and failure to read Bible passages.

Markiece and Dina Palmer are currently in Clark County Detention Center.

"I'm really leaning on the Lord for strength," said Latanza Harris, who is Roderick's grandmother. "Right now, I just feel like caving in."

Harris flew in from Illinois. She called the ordeal devastating and shocking and said the charges are out of character for her daughter.

"R.J. loved his mother," said Harris. "I remember he missed the first plane out here and he started crying. He said he wanted to see his mommy."

Pastor Kenneth Hollingsworth spoke to Markiece moments before Roderick was pronounced dead at the hospital.

"I told him to hang up this line and call 911," said Hollingsworth. "He said he couldn't because he whipped him with a cord."

The family lived with Hollingsworth for a short time. He said he had never seen any signs of abuse.

"I just couldn't believe it," said Hollingsworth. "Markiece never presented that side to me. His mother would have allowed him to do that because she adored her son."

Both Metro and Child Protective Services report they have no
prior history with the couple.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/20257291/vegas-mom-stepdad-in-court-for-boys-slaying
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Roderick "R.J." Arrington, Jr.
Date Of Birth: June 13, 2005
Date Of Death: November 30, 2012

Service Date:

Funeral Services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, December 8, 2012 at Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church in Bloomington with Rev. Frank L. McSwain, Sr. officiating.

Visitation will be from 4-7 p.m. Friday, December 7, 2012 at the church and one hour prior to the services at the church on Saturday.

Interment will be in Evergreen Memorial Cemetery in Bloomington.

Roderick Arrington, Jr.

Bloomington- Roderick Arrington Jr, affectionately known as RJ, 7 years old, formerly of Bloomington, IL. Our precious RJ departed this life on Friday, November 30, 2012 at the University Medical Center, Children' s Hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Funeral Services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, December 8, 2012 at Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church in Bloomington with Rev. Frank L. McSwain, Sr. officiating. Visitation will be from 4-7 p.m. Friday, December 7, 2012 at the church and one hour prior to the services at the church on Saturday.

Memorials may be made to the family in RJ's name. Interment will be in Evergreen Memorial Cemetery in Bloomington. The family of RJ has entrusted the care of their loved one to Kibler-Brady-Ruestman Memorial Home in Bloomington.

RJ was born on June 13, 2005 in Bloomington to Dina ( Beverly) Palmer and Roderick Arrington Sr.

RJ was a very jovial child, full of excitement & energy, he loved sports, singing in his church choir, he loved school, loved to just enjoy life.. He was a delight to everyone he met. RJ accepted Christ at an early age at the Mt. Pisgah Baptist Church where he was baptized, and a faithful member of the Sunbeam Children Choir, where he sang so beautifully.

He attended the Parkside Elementary School, until he was relocated to Las Vegas to live with his mother where he then attended the Roundy Elementary School, his teacher Mr.Todd had so many wonderful things to say about him..

RJ was a polite, friendly outgoing little fellow. He was full of kindness, humility & optimism, although he was only 7 years old, his love & integrity for others was so influential. He was a true example of a child who received stability, morals as well as religious instructions you could tell it in his conversation and see it in his life.

RJ exhibited positive character traits at an early age, a true sign of a child in a stable, caring and nurturing environment. By this you could tell that he spent much time with his grandparents as well as his great grandmother. He loved hanging out with his uncles, and playing basketball, playing on the WII, DS, and all of the games. He was a cheerful, honest and sincere little fellow.

He leaves to mourn his passing his mother, Dina Beverly Palmer; his dad, Roderick Arrington Sr, his maternal grandmother; Latanza Harris, grandfather, David Harris; maternal great grandmother, Rose Beverly of Bloomington, IL; paternal grandparents, George and Lorraine Roach; paternal great grandmother; five uncles, Rosney Beverly, Adrian Arrington, Detaven Beverly, David Harris Jr, Sergio Harris, all of Bloomington, IL; one sister, Honesty Arrington, two brothers, Kenderck and Auderek Arrington, all of Bloomington, IL; four maternal great aunts; Angie Harris of Detroit, Michigan; Dawn Emerson of Hawthorne, California; Patricia Beverly of Bloomington; Zanada Beverly of Chicago, IL; two maternal great uncles; Damon Beverly of San Francisco, California; Jeffery Beverly of Chicago, IL; one paternal uncle; Adrian Arrington and one paternal aunt, Leona Roach both of Bloomington, IL.

He was preceded in death by his maternal great aunts, Deborah Blake and Bettye. Wilbert; maternal great great grandparents; Daddy Willie and Ma Dear Ethel Beverly; great great grandfather June Moore; paternal great grandfather, Lawyer Jackson.

RJ was a member of Bloomington Boys and Girls Club, Links Center Basketball, and Mt. Pisgah Sunbeam Choir.

Online condolences may be sent to the family at www.kiblerbradyruestman.com.

http://www.kiblerbradyruestman.com/obituaries/roderick-rj-arrington,-jr.aspx
RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV Roderick_arrington_jr._1_300x238
RODERICK ARRINGTON JR - 7 yo - Accused Markiece Palmar, stepfather, Dina Palmar, mother - LasVegas NV Roderick_arrington__jr._2_198x299

He looks like a happy normal child. Sad, but at least he will get some justice. He went to a school I went to. His church is just across the street. My soul cries for him and I shed a tear when I read about it. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down