Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unnamed newborn / Convicted: Alyce Morales, mother - Cicero, IL

2 posters

Go down

Unnamed newborn / Convicted: Alyce Morales, mother - Cicero, IL Empty Unnamed newborn / Convicted: Alyce Morales, mother - Cicero, IL

Post by willcarney Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Teen charged with slaying her newborn
BY MATT TROUTMAN mtroutman@record-eagle.com Traverse City Record-Eagle    

Unnamed newborn / Convicted: Alyce Morales, mother - Cicero, IL G0a000000000000000074b0eecd458c372f9bf8732cb8f01dbd6c24f87a

HONOR — An Illinois teenager charged in the death of her newborn child kept her pregnancy secret from her parents before giving birth while on a family vacation at a Benzie County campsite, authorities said.

Alyce Morales, 18, of Cicero, Ill., was arraigned Thursday in 85th District Court on a felony count of open murder. Michigan State Police Sgt. Scott Bates said autopsy results determined her infant daughter, Marie Morales, born Monday at Platte River Campground, was slain.

“The doctor described injuries consistent with blunt force trauma,” Bates said.

Court documents state Morales camped with her parents Monday at Platte River Campground, but they did not know about her pregnancy.

“Alyce did not want to tell her parents for fear of disappointment,” the document states.

Morales fell sick that night and excused herself to the family tent where she gave birth alone at about 11:20 p.m. Bates said Morales’ parents found their daughter and the newborn in the tent soon after and called 911. The baby was transported to Munson Medical Center where she was pronounced dead Tuesday at 8:57 a.m.

The initial cause of death was believed to be hypothermia and lack of timely medical care, but an autopsy performed in Grand Rapids discovered “serious injuries” to the newborn’s head and abdomen that caused her death, the document states. Morales waived her Miranda rights on Wednesday when interviewed by Michigan State Police.

Court documents state she made “several admissions” that she “freaked out” and struck the baby with her closed fist.

“Alyce was asked if she felt her actions had caused all of the injuries to the baby,” the document states. “She responded that she did.”

Eighty-fifth District Court Judge John Mead denied Morales’ bond during Thursday’s arraignment and she remains in Benzie County’s jail.

Prosecutor Sara Swanson said Mead was concerned the Illinois resident was a flight risk. She said the open homicide charge -- which carries a maximum life imprisonment penalty -- could be changed as the investigation proceeds.

“Open murder means that once the case goes to jury they can decide between first- and second-degree,” she said, elaborating that the difference between first- and second-degree homicide is premeditation. “At this point it’s just so early, I guess I want a little more information before I decide.”

http://record-eagle.com/local/x1913000409/Teen-charged-with-slaying-her-newborn

Another little angel gone.  tears  Unfortunately we don't have the death penalty any more.  Another point is that she was probably 17 when conceived so why is the father not jailed for having sex with a minor.  William
willcarney
willcarney
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : NEVER assume your child is safe, KNOW.

Back to top Go down

Unnamed newborn / Convicted: Alyce Morales, mother - Cicero, IL Empty Re: Unnamed newborn / Convicted: Alyce Morales, mother - Cicero, IL

Post by mom_in_il Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:28 pm

UPDATE: Morales receives 29-month sentence

Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:26 pm
BY MATT TROUTMAN mtroutman@record-eagle.com

TRAVERSE CITY — Alyce Morales' sobs hung in a Benzie County courtroom as she told a judge that panic gripped her after she secretly gave birth to a daughter in a tent.

Morales, 19, of Cicero, Illinois, said she felt sorry every day since July 22, 2013, for what happened next. She closed her fist and struck herself before hitting her daughter, Marie, with a blow that fractured the infant's skull.

"I was in a really bad situation. I was alone and scared. I didn't think anything was going to happen, so I panicked," she said Tuesday. "I know that's not an excuse for what happened."

Nineteenth Circuit Court Judge James Batzer crafted a sentence that puts Morales in prison for at least 29 months, but also gives her a chance to clear her record. Morales pleaded guilty to manslaughter after authorities ruled the infant's death a homicide.

The plea agreement dismissed an original charge of an open count of murder.

Batzer's decision came after an emotional hearing in which Morales' attorney Jesse Williams argued his client's strict Jehovah's Witnesses background made her fearful she'd be shunned by her family because of her out-of-wedlock pregnancy.

"I really think that the life she led and the isolation she grew up with led to this tragic event," he said.

Benzie County Prosecutor Sara Swanson argued Morales' actions should have consequences. She said she spoke for Marie Morales, but pointed out she didn't have any stories to tell about the child and no pictures to show other than those taken at an autopsy.

"Although we don't have memories to share and stories to tell about her, her life still has value," she said.

"She was only alive eight hours, and during that time she was beat and suffered. ... She died a very brutal death."

Read More: http://www.record-eagle.com/news/local_news/article_402b8194-2f32-53a5-af1e-fbe9ba9bd76b.html
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down