Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attorney's Comments Bombshell In Case Against Casey

Go down

Attorney's Comments Bombshell In Case Against Casey Empty Attorney''s Comments Bombshell In Case Against Casey

Post by mom_in_il Thu May 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Legal Analyst: Attorney's Comments Bombshell In Case Against Casey

Posted: 5:23 pm EDT May 13, 2009
Updated: 8:01 pm EDT May 13, 2009

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- The public got an inside look at the defense strategies Casey Anthony's team of lawyers considered from an attorney no longer in her camp. On national TV death penalty lawyer Terence Lenamon said he would've defended Casey by blaming mental health problems.

VIDEO REPORT: Attorney Would Have Suggeted Insanity Defense
RAW VIDEO: Attorney On Nancy Grace

However, according to WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer, to use a mental health defense you have to admit you did something because of mental health issues.

Even after Casey Anthony was indicted for first-degree murder last fall, partly based on grand jury testimony from her father, publicly her family and defense attorney Jose Baez were still claiming her daughter Caylee was alive. But Lenamon, who joined her defense team last fall after her indictment, dropped a bombshell Tuesday night on CNN's Nancy Grace when she asked him about why he and Baez might have parted ways.

"Was it over your wise counsel that they use a mental health defense?" Grace asked.

"We had a difference in what I believed should've been the approach, which is, I think, mental health related," he said.

WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer says that's a bombshell.

"In order to employ a mental health defense, one has to admit the act," Sheaffer said."We had a difference in what I believed should've been the approach, which is, I think, mental health related," he said.

Sheaffer said it's highly unlikely an attorney of Lenamon's experience would advise a client to admit to something they didn't do.

"We must assume that, prior to making this statement, that this attorney was fully apprised of all the facts in this case," Sheaffer said.

But Sheaffer says a client must support the defense argument and it's possible Casey won't back off of her story that the mysterious nanny did it.

"She has a very willful personality and, as we see, she will stick to a story regardless of the overwhelming evidence that she is maintaining a lie," Sheaffer said.

Lenamon did not rejoin the defense team after prosecutors decided to seek a death sentence for Casey. Baez claims he has a new death-qualified attorney lined up, but so far there's no sign of that.

http://www.wftv.com/news/19453388/detail.html
mom_in_il
mom_in_il
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down