Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK

4 posters

Go down

ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK Empty ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK

Post by tears4caylee Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Ashleigh Hall told her mother she was going to sleep at a friend’s house when she arranged a secret rendezvous with a stranger posing as a teenage boy on an internet social networking site.
Within hours she had been kidnapped, raped and killed by Peter Chapman who dumped her body in a field close to a Little Chef restaurant on the outskirts of Sedgefield, Co Durham.
Her mother Andrea said: “She wasn’t a bad kid, she wasn’t naughty. She made one mistake and paid for it with her life.”

Ashleigh, 17, was in her final year of a child care course at Darlington College and was aiming for a career as a child minder or nursery nurse.
She was well-liked by her peers and, in common with other teenagers, her mobile phone and the internet were major features of her everyday life.
Mrs Hall, 39, has urged the operators of Facebook an other social networking sites to help safeguard against perverts targeting vulnerable youngsters online.
She said: “I can't blame the internet but it is about time that somebody looked at ways of introducing controls which stop people putting up false pictures and false information.
“I brought her up not to talk to strangers and that applied to the internet as well. She said she would never add a stranger as a friend on Facebook.
“She had about 400 friends on Facebook, but she knew every single one of them. We can't imagine how she got to be friends with someone she didn't know.”
Mrs Hall, from Darlington, Co Durham, has three other daughters Olivia, six, Ellie, four, and Evie, one.
Ashleigh was in a good mood and had spent the Sunday evening on the computer “chatting” on the internet through MSN.
Mrs Hall said: “At about 7.30pm she asked if she could sleep at a friend's house. It was a bit last-minute but I said ‘Yes, okay, as long as you are home by 10.30 the next morning.
“She threw some clothes in a bag and went downstairs. I was upstairs putting the young ones to bed. Ashleigh opened the door and shouted: 'See you tomorrow mum'.
“I shouted to her to make sure she was home by 10.30. She said ‘I will’ and that was it. I never saw her again.”
When she failed return the net morning her mother called her phone at least 30 times throughout the day without reply.
Mrs Hall said: “One of her friends told us Ashleigh had been talking to a boy. I went on to my Facebook account and looked at Ashleigh's page and saw a boy who said he was 17 who was not linked to any of her other friends.
“That made me suspicious straightaway. I asked her friends about him but nobody knew if she had been talking to him or texting him. There were no messages from him on her page but she might have been messaging him in private.”
She believed she could trust Ashleigh because she had always been a sensible, level-headed girl, but her fears grew when a man’s voice eventually answered her phone at around 8pm.
Ashleigh was a former brownie and guide, loved animals and had pet hamsters and goldfish.
Her mother added: said: “She was a typical teenager and teenagers will explore the world. You can't watch over them 24 hours a day.
“It's not Ashleigh's fault what happened. All we can do as parents is try to and get across to them that there are two sides to the internet.”

Last edited by tears4caylee on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
tears4caylee
tears4caylee
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down

ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK Empty Re: ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK

Post by tears4caylee Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Mum of web fraud victim Ashleigh Hall urges caution

Sex offender used Facebook to lure 17-year-old trainee nursery nurse Ashleigh Hall

London: She was a young girl who lacked confidence and simply wanted a boyfriend.
Then Ashleigh Hall clicked on to Peter Chapman's Facebook profile and saw a bare-chested teenager, who was muscular, good looking and — crucially — interested in her.
Tragically for the 17-year-old trainee nursery nurse, the image of her young suitor was bogus. In fact, he was a shaven-headed 33-year-old serial rapist who would lure her to her death and dump her in a ditch.
The appalling case has highlighted the astonishing ease with which potential predators can lure in their victims via social networking sites such as Facebook. Last night, Ashleigh's mother Andrea pleaded: "Parents, ask your kids to tell you who they are talking to online."
As "calculated and wicked" Chapman began a minimum jail term of 35 years for Ashleigh's kidnap, rape and murder, it emerged that despite being a registered sex offender he had vanished off the police "radar" for over a year after his risk level was downgraded.
Costly mistake
Hall, 39, wept as horrific details of her daughter's last few hours were revealed in court. She said later: "Ashleigh wasn't a bad kid. She wasn't naughty. She made one mistake and has paid for it with her life. "Something more should have been done to stop him. He had someone else's photo on his [Facebook] page.
"It's an awful thought that there is a boy out there and this man was using his photo to prey on young girls. It is unimaginable what my family and I have been through."
Chapman had previously been jailed for raping and robbing two prostitutes at knifepoint — including a 17-year-old — but a series of failings allowed him to roam free.
Even on the day he was arrested for the murder, he was on his way to meet yet another "Facebook friend".
He was stopped by police over a suspected arson attack in Newbury, Berkshire, a month earlier.
The case shows how easy it is for teenagers to be targeted for sex or worse by convicted sex offenders who can easily fake their identities online and then arrange to meet them.
tears4caylee
tears4caylee

Back to top Go down

ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK Empty Re: ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm

QUESTIONS over the police monitoring of sex predator Peter Chapman
have led to the launch of a high-level independent investigation.

ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK Ashleigh-michelle-hall-499344132

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) confirmed it planned to investigate how Merseyside Police monitored Chapman.
The Stockton-born 33-year-old was jailed for a minimum of 35 years on
Monday for the kidnap, rape and murder of 17-year-old Ashleigh Hall in
County Durham in October 2009.
It emerged following the murder that Chapman, who was required to be monitored by police as he was on
the sex offenders’ register, had left his home on Merseyside without
local police knowing.
Following Chapman’s sentencing, the matter was referred to the IPCC which has now decided to conduct an
independent investigation.
IPCC Commissioner Naseem Malik said: “My sympathies go out to Ashleigh’s family and friends.
“I cannot imagine how devastating Ashleigh’s murder must have been for
them and I fully understand their anger and belief that Chapman should
not have been in a position to commit this crime.
“Our investigators will undertake a thorough review of how Merseyside Police
monitored Chapman, what intelligence and information was available
about him and what actions were taken when it was established he was
missing. It is important that if there are lessons to be learned they
are shared with police forces nationally.”
Chapman had been linked to a number of sex crimes including the knifepoint rape of two
prostitutes he picked up in Middlesbrough.
Ashleigh’s mum Andrea Hall, has called for the public to be told of sex offenders’
whereabouts and has joined Home Secretary Alan Johnson’s calls for
Facebook to install a paedophile “panic button” providing a direct link
to child protection experts at the national Child Exploitation and
Online Protection Centre.
Unlike other social networking sites like Myspace and Bebo, Facebook has rejected calls to install the button.
Mrs Hall said: “Anything that can be done should be done to stop these monsters.”
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanie Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:12 pm

I was just gonna ask you Tom if you were placing murder cases from abroad here as well, I wasn't sure if you'd want threads here or if theres another forum for foreign cases we should place them. I have noticed their seems be something in the water in Birmingham as of late. I'll start posting the cases I come across.

I also have been trying to keep a eye on New Zealand. Kiwi Mom can tell you theres a big problem there with the punishment of child abusers, I would love to see some serious changes besides a 'no smacking' law. hi
Joanie
Joanie
Serial Blogger
Serial Blogger

Job/hobbies : Mom against child abuse

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Joanie wrote:I was just gonna ask you Tom if you were placing murder cases from abroad here as well, I wasn't sure if you'd want threads here or if theres another forum for foreign cases we should place them. I have noticed their seems be something in the water in Birmingham as of late. I'll start posting the cases I come across.

I also have been trying to keep a eye on New Zealand. Kiwi Mom can tell you theres a big problem there with the punishment of child abusers, I would love to see some serious changes besides a 'no smacking' law. hi
Well, Joanie I may create a separate forum for foreign cases if there's an interest. This one, in particular, has a "global" interest because the pedocreeps are (and have been) using seemingly innocuous social sites as a point of contact with their victims.
Read the follow-up report below.
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 pm

Even after 15 years in child protection, I was shocked by what I
encountered when I spent just five minutes on a social networking site
posing as a 14-year-old girl. Within 90 seconds, a middle-aged man
wanted to perform a sex act in front of me. I was deluged by strangers asking stomach-churning questions
about my sexual experience. I was pressured to meet men with whom I'd
never before communicated. So I wasn't surprised that a vulnerable teenager, Ashleigh
Hall, was groomed on Facebook before being brutally raped and killed. Anyone who knows what an adventure playground social networking
sites offer paedophiles would only be surprised that such tragedies
don't occur more often. For the internet is full of people with sexually deviant
desires - the level of danger goes way beyond even the most worried
parent's imagination. Child sex offenders existed before the internet, but with the
inviting, anonymous environment such sites provide, they have greater
access and opportunity, which they exploit all too readily. For these depraved men are not just lurking online hoping
youngsters will find them; they are actively searching for young girls
who will fall prey to their false charms, as I discovered when I set
out to investigate this dangerous environment. Anyone who knows what an adventure playground social networking
sites offer paedophiles would only be surprised that such tragedies
don't occur more often. For the internet is full of people with sexually deviant
desires - the level of danger goes way beyond even the most worried
parent's imagination. Child sex offenders existed before the internet, but with the
inviting, anonymous environment such sites provide, they have greater
access and opportunity, which they exploit all too readily. For these depraved men are not just lurking online hoping
youngsters will find them; they are actively searching for young girls
who will fall prey to their false charms, as I discovered when I set
out to investigate this dangerous environment.
They hold down jobs and are able to perpetrate abuse by hiding behind the internet for anonymity.
I know, because I have met some of the most dangerous sex offenders in the country in prisons.
The problem is that they can be caught far too late - like 33-year-old serial rapist and killer Peter Chapman.
What happened to Ashleigh Hall is desperately sad, but not
surprising, given the proliferation of paedophiles online and the fact
that 25 per cent of girls and 14 per cent of boys who make contact with
someone online will go on to meet them in person. That is why the policing of social networking sites must be changed radically.
I have followed a Metropolitan police paedophile unit that uses a covert approach to ensnare online abusers and arrest them.
It was incredibly effective, putting ten men in jail, but it is
not practised enough. Tragically, the common police approach is
reactive: finding and arresting abusers once they have been reported.
By then the damage has been done. What is needed is a pro-active approach. The Government must
provide police forces throughout Britain with the resources for covert
policing, so they can lure men with fake teenage profiles before they
ruin the lives of real children. The hunters must become the hunted. At present, these monsters wander the internet without fear or
caution - evident by the onslaught of inappropriate messages I received
when I put my fake profile online. For what is most shocking about my investigation is not only
the number of predators waiting to pounce, but also the lack of
policing. Those men who approached me are probably still there, waiting
for young girls. In fact, they may have already found and preyed on
many more. But because we don't have proactive policing, they will remain
at large until someone they abuse reports them. As a parent, I don't
consider that acceptable. Yes, my 14-year-old daughter uses Facebook, but with stringent
privacy settings and a maximum of 30 friends, all of whom she must know
genuinely - and I am one of them. What happened to Ashleigh must never happen to another child.
We need to turn around the online environment by targeting sex
offenders before they target young girls. Ultimately, it's up to all of us - parents, teachers, police
and internet companies - to educate and protect our children. Otherwise
there are going to be many more Ashleighs.
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Back to top Go down

Post by tears4caylee Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:28 pm

This is the one that you were asking about last night....

Tom, thanks for posting the other articles. I think this is why we have such a huge amount of teens missing. These teens make anybody their FB friend. I know cause my niece is 14 and I dont know how she knows so many people...Cause at my age I dont even that many people and if I do I dont want them all as my friends on FB...
tears4caylee
tears4caylee

Back to top Go down

Post by Joanie Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Augh that is stomach turning for sure Tom.

I see what your saying Tom, I'll hold off then posting 'em for now. Ashleigh Hall's case is truly a global problem. the internet hasn't just helped the world learn and share news from all over the world we may have never heard about but has also given predators a new outlet to pray on our kids.
Joanie
Joanie
Serial Blogger
Serial Blogger

Job/hobbies : Mom against child abuse

Back to top Go down

Post by MililaniGirl Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:38 pm

35-year minumum sentence for Ashleigh's murderer
3:09pm Monday 8th March 2010

ENGLAND • Ashleigh HALL, 17 (2009) ~ London UK ?type=display

CONVICTED sex offender Peter Chapman, 33, was today sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum tariff of 35 years after admitting the kidnap, rape and murder of teenager Ashleigh Hall.

Chapman, 33, changed his plea to guilty this morning on the day he was due to face trial at Teesside Crown Court.

Ashleigh, 17, from Darlington, was found dead on farmland near Sedgefield after going to meet a man she meet on Facebook.

The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Peter Fox passed a life sentence on Chapman and said he would serve at least 35 years imprisonment before being considered for parole.

"For it appears to me that you are, you were at the time, and have been for some considerable time, a very great danger to young women and, for what it is worth, I cannot foresee your release," he said.

"In my judgment, your killing was of such seriousness on its own, and in conjunction with other associated offences, that it falls clearly into the category of being particularly high."

Judge Fox said Chapman had carried out a significant degree of planning and pre-meditation in snaring Ashleigh.

"This was an evil scheme very carefully brought, and with considerable detail, to trap your victim," he told Chapman.

"She was particularly vulnerable because of her age. Before you re-bound her so that she died from suffocation, all that led up must lead to mental and, in raping her, physical suffering."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/5047782.35_year_minumum_sentence_for_Ashleigh_s_murderer/
MililaniGirl
MililaniGirl

Job/hobbies : "Idiot Blogger"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down