Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRINITY NICOLE ROBINSON - 18 yo (1993) - Homestead FL

Go down

TRINITY NICOLE ROBINSON - 18 yo (1993) - Homestead FL Empty TRINITY NICOLE ROBINSON - 18 yo (1993) - Homestead FL

Post by TomTerrific0420 Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:32 am

For 17 years, Kathy Thompson has believed Christopher Michael Phillips was involved in her daughter’s disappearance.
This week, she will travel to Miami to testify against him in a
second-degree murder trial, which begins Monday in Miami-Dade County
Court.
Trinity Nicole Robinson was 18 when she was last seen on May 10,
1993, in Homestead, Fla., only months after she and Phillips relocated
from Burlington to south Florida to find work in the aftermath of
Hurricane Andrew. Phillips reported her missing the next day.
“It was the way he acted when he came back from Florida. He just
acted guilty. He tried to put my younger daughter in a car. He said he
would show her what he did to Trinity. He had a butcher knife,” Thompson
said. “He lied to police then, when he reported her missing, when he
told them he didn’t have a way to get in touch with Trinity’s family. He
had called me hundreds of times.”
Phillips, now 38, was extradited to Miami-Dade County from his
Huntsville Lane, Whitsett, residence in 2006 on charges that he killed
Robinson.
Thompson is nervous about testifying and also about what she might
hear about her daughter’s disappearance and alleged murder. Despite 17
years of searching, investigators never found Robinson’s body. Thompson
fears hearing graphic details about what might have happened to her, and
said Florida investigators warned her some of what she could hear might
disturb her.
“They tell me not to worry. I’m trying to put my faith in them, but
it’s difficult to do that because it’s been 17 years,” Thompson said.
Investigators with Miami-Dade police and Miami-Dade County prosecutors couldn’t be reached for comment on this story.
The case was investigated as a missing-person case but went cold when
no new information came after investigators talked to roommates and
co-workers. Miami-Dade police reopened it as a homicide investigation in
2000, claiming they had new information about Robinson’s disappearance.
At the time, Detective Ray Hoadley, with Miami-Dade police, said he
was investigating rumors that Phillips had abused Robinson. The case was
reopened as a homicide because it had been seven years since anyone had
seen or heard from Robinson, he told the Times-News.
Phillips told police and others that Robinson walked to work carrying
her waitress’ uniform early the morning of May 10, 1993. He reported
her missing on May 11, after, he says, Robinson didn’t show up for work
and didn’t return home.
Robinson returned to Burlington twice between December 1992 and May
1993. The second time she went home, she hitchhiked. Work was scarce and
Robinson and Phillips were struggling to get by, living out of cars and
tents, Thompson said. Her daughter phoned in May saying she wanted to
come home permanently.
Robinson was waiting on a $7,000 insurance settlement check from
North Carolina, then she was going to buy a bus ticket north. Thompson
recalls her daughter saying that Phillips was abusive.
In 2006, Phillips said people were spreading vicious rumors about
him, that he loved Robinson, that the couple rarely argued and that he
never abused her. There aren’t court records indicating violence between
them.
Two men convicted of killing several women in Florida after Hurricane Andrew had killed Robinson, he believed.
Phillips blamed shoddy police work for letting the case go cold,
saying that he walked the streets, talked to friends and acquaintances
and did everything he could to find her in the weeks after Robinson went
missing in 1993.
According to a 2006 Times-News story, Phillips failed a lie detector
test in 2000 when Florida investigators began questioning him.
Phillips was convicted of assault on a female in 1996 and in 2000. He
has been married twice. Just before he was arrested and extradited in
2006, his wife, Jennifer, had given birth to their first child.
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

TRINITY NICOLE ROBINSON - 18 yo (1993) - Homestead FL Empty Re: TRINITY NICOLE ROBINSON - 18 yo (1993) - Homestead FL

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:29 pm

Seventeen years after his girlfriend vanished in Homestead, Christopher Phillips stood up in a Miami-Dade court Wednesday and, in a hysterical and rambling speech, cast blame on everyone but himself. The lead detective, prosecutors and witness after witness hailing from Homestead to North Carolina, he insisted, lied to doom him. To this day, Phillips swore, he has no idea where his former lover's body is. "Your honor,'' he stammered, in his thick Southern drawl, "I swear to you I didn't do anything.'' Circuit Judge Bertila Soto was not swayed. She sentenced Phillips to a life term for the second-degree murder of Trinity Robinson, 18, whose body still remains undiscovered. "I think the right person is being sentenced today. I believe you are responsible for Trinity's death,'' Soto told Phillips, adding: ``There is no conspiracy.'' Wednesday's sentencing capped one of Miami-Dade's most unusual murder trials in recent memory, only the second "no-body'' conviction in county history. Jurors convicted him in September after witness upon witness from Burlington, N.C., testified that Phillips admitted to murdering Robinson. Especially damning: his own uncle testified that Phillips confessed he strangled Robinson because she stole his cocaine. The jury deliberated a little more than an hour. "This means everything to our family,'' Robinson's mother, Kathy Thompson, said after the sentencing. "We spent 17 years of our lives to make sure this happened -- Trinity got her justice.'' Robinson, a naïve teen who fell under the Phillips' spell, moved to Homestead with Phillips to find work after Hurricane Andrew. Prosecutors painted Phillips, 38, as a jealous, manipulative boyfriend who consistently beat Robinson, leading to her decision to leave him. She vanished just before a waitress shift at Todd's Family Restaurant, and Phillips gave police conflicting accounts of her disappearance. During trial, Phillips attorney, Eric Matheny, claimed the state had only vague circumstantial evidence and no direct eye witnesses. He cast blame on Phillips' then-roommates, Lon Martin and Keith Iaea, who were convicted of an unrelated 1997 gruesome dismemberment case in Washington state. They denied involvement in the Robinson case, though prosecutors suspect they helped dump her body. Though her family suspected foul play even as Phillips returned to North Carolina, Robinson was listed as a missing person until Miami-Dade homicide detectives reopened the case in 2000. Phillips was arrested for her murder in 2006. Wednesday's sentencing was a somber affair for Robinson's family, which prepared for the court a DVD slide show of 1980s childhood photos of Robinson. Her younger sister, Stephenie Robinson Allred, remembered their childhood: roller skating, swimming lessons, laughing at boys. "She was my friend. She was one of a kind. She was taken from me and this world because of the defendant,'' a teary Allred said, glaring at Phillips. "I will never be the same person that I was because of the defendant.'' Said Robinson's aunt, Jan Cheek: "He's not even a man. He is a mouse. He deserves no mercy. He showed no mercy for her.'' Under 1993 state law, Phillips faced up to 22 years in prison, but Judge Soto had the discretion to mete out a more severe sentence. Matheny argued for 22 years as justice for Robinson and Phillips, who had just married his second wife and was arrested just weeks after one of his sons was born. Assistant State Attorney Abbe Rifkin, who tried the case with Suzanne Von Paulus, shot back that Phillips' teary speech was the only hint of remorse he's shown during the trial. "He's not crying for anyone but himself,'' Rifkin said. In the end, Judge Soto ruled Phillips' crime was senseless and cruel. Phillips' cousin, Paulette Norton, hollered out: "He's innocent! I'll keep proving it until the day I die!'' Court security ushered her out. Jennifer Phillips, the defendant's second wife, sat frozen in shock and buried her face in her palms. Thompson, Robinson's mother, erupted in tears of relief. She embraced Miami-Dade homicide detective Ray Hoadley, then her surviving daughter, Allred. "Though he got life'' in prison, Allred said, "it will never bring back Trinity.''
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down