Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5 TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Empty Re: CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5 TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC

Post by karma Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:14 am

Turcotte knew what he was doing: psychiatrist
June 7, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Anne-s26
A family photo shows murder defendant Guy Turcotte with his daughter
Anne-Sophie and his son Olivier at a birthday elebration.

Despite the internal chaos Guy Turcotte was experiencing the night he stabbed his two children to death, the cardiologist was aware of what he was doing and should be held responsible, a psychiatrist testifying for the Crown said Tuesday.

“Even if he doesn’t know why he did what he did, he knew what he was doing,” Sylvain Faucher said. “Whether it was done out of altruism, anger, or those two things together, or for other reasons, he was aware of what he was doing.”

Faucher agreed with two psychiatric experts who testified for the defence and concluded Turcotte, 39, was suffering from an adjustment disorder after the breakup of his turbulent marriage when he killed his children on Feb. 20, 2009.

Where the two sides part ways – and what the jury will have to decide – is whether Turcotte knew the consequences of his actions.

Faucher contends that Turcotte, who had difficulty expressing his emotions, read a string of romantic emails between his wife and her new lover just before killing Anne-Sophie, 3, and Olivier, 5.

“For him, frustration and anger were unacceptable emotions, but (reading those emails) was a way to legitimize and justify those feelings,” he said. “And I think that was the motor that drove the rest.”

Turcotte has testified that he drank windshield wiper fluid to try to kill himself, then realizing the children would wake up and find him dead, decided to take them with him.

Faucher, who met with Turcotte for three-and-a-half hours on April 5, 2011, and has been in the courtroom for all but eight days of the 33-day trial so far, said Turcotte was aware of his surroundings and conscious of time.

He managed to call his real estate agent and babysitter to cancel appointments for the following day. And when he spoke to his mother, he was aware the children were in their beds.

While searching for a way to kill himself, Turcotte decided against stabbing himself because he remembered his wife, an emergency room doctor, had told him about a patient who’d tried that, but survived.

“He was able to remember and appreciate the efficacy of what he was going to do, then decide against it,” Faucher said.

During his testimony, Turcotte said he knew after the first stab that he was hurting his children, but panicked and continued with the knife gripped in both hands. He stabbed his son 27 times and his daughter 19 times.

Was it fear of not succeeding at taking them with him or anger that pushed him to react, Faucher asked.

“It’s dangerous to think that an unreasonable act is committed by an unreasonable person,” he said.

In Turcotte’s case, there was a rapid buildup of stress over six weeks – from the time he discovered his wife was having an affair with the couple’s friend and personal trainer, to moving out of the family home and his wife announcing she’d changed the locks. Suddenly, he felt overwhelmed and had to do something, Faucher said.

“Someone who commits a serious act could be worse before than after because it can free him of all kinds of emotions,” he said.

“And I think that’s what happened.”

In the months after the killings, Turcotte had difficulty looking at other children, knives and television shows involving police, the psychiatrist who saw Turcotte at the Philippe Pinel Institute after his arrest for first-degree murder, testified earlier Tuesday.

“He felt his life was over,” said Jacques Talbot, who has worked at Pinel for 43 years.

“He’d lost his children, he’d killed them, would never see them again and feared forgetting them.

“He couldn’t think of that.”

To avoid those intense emotions, Turcotte fled into the future, organizing his financial and legal affairs and asking his parents to do things for him, like retrieve a Christmas present he’d given his wife.

Talbot saw Turcotte two or three times a week, beginning Feb. 26, 2009, five days after the children were found dead in their father’s rented house in Piedmont.

Turcotte showed traits of narcissism and had a tendency to intellectualize the situation, Talbot said. But he didn’t show any signs of a major depression or psychosis, he said.

When he spoke about his six-year marriage to Isabelle Gaston, with whom he’d separated less than a month before the killings, Turcotte felt he was never perfect.

“It shows his emotional vulnerability and fragility,” Talbot said.

The trial continues Wednesday.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Turcotte+knew+what+doing+psychiatrist/4906962/story.html
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Empty Re: CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5 TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC

Post by karma Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Quebec MD not criminally responsible for killing kids
Children's mother 'shocked' by jury's verdict

July 5, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Mother10
CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Anneso11Video: Mother reacts to verdict 1:25

A jury has found Guy Turcotte, the Quebec cardiologist who admitted he stabbed his two children to death, not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.

The judge had instructed jurors that acquittal was not an option, as Turcotte admitted he stabbed his children, Anne-Sophie, 3, and Olivier, 5, in February 2009, in a rented home north of Montreal.

The 39-year-old physician was charged with first-degree murder, but always denied intent, and the defence focused on his state of mind at the time of the killings.

The jury had to decide on one of four scenarios: first-degree murder, second-degree murder, manslaughter or not criminally responsible by reason of mental illness.
CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Mtl-gu11
Guy Turcotte said he didn't know what he was
doing when he killed his children. (CBC)

It reached a decision Tuesday, on what would have been the jury's sixth full day of deliberations.

The slain children's mother, Isabelle Gaston, admitted to being astounded by the outcome, despite having prepared herself for all scenarios.

"With this verdict, my path will really not be easy," Gaston told reporters at the Saint-Jérôme, Que., courtroom. "I'm in shock."

Gaston, who was separated from Turcotte when their children were killed, said society can still be proud of its justice system.

"Even if it had been first-degree murder I could not have been satisfied because it would not have brought back my children in this life," she said.

Gaston doesn't want an appeal and said she won't testify again.

"For me, and I speak for myself alone, it's over," said the emergency room physician. "I will never return to a trial."

Defence hinged on mental state

During the 10-week trial, Turcotte's lawyer Pierre Poupart argued that his client was suffering from mental difficulties that stemmed from his troubled marriage, and was not aware of what he was doing.
CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Poll10
The Crown argued Turcotte had planned to murder his children, suggesting he was angry with his estranged wife for cheating on him, and wanted to get back at her by killing them.

Turcotte's lawyers argued that the cardiologist loved his children but was unable to cope with the breakup of his marriage and his wife's affair.

Feeling increasingly marginalized, he had sunk into a deep depression in the days leading up to his children's deaths.

The killings occurred just one month after the couple had split, during a weekend that Turcotte was caring for the children while Gaston was away on a skiing trip.
CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Si-tur10
Olivier and Anne-Sophie were stabbed to death in 2009. (CBC)
Turcotte testified that he only remembered bits and pieces of the evening he stabbed his children.

He said he planned to end his own life on the night of Feb. 20, 2009 after reading emails between his wife and her new lover, the couple's personal trainer Martin Huot.

Turcotte started drinking windshield washer fluid to that end, but decided at some point that he didn't want his children to wake up the following morning and find their father dead.

He told the court he decided to take the children with him.

Public outrage at verdict

The trial garnered unprecedented media attention, with members of the public lining up for hours every day for a seat in the courtroom.

Thirty-nine witnesses testified, including Turcotte, his parents, Gaston and numerous mental health experts.

News of the verdict spread like wildfire on the internet, with hundreds of people turning to Twitter and other social media to discuss the outcome.
CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Si-tur11
Turcotte with his son Olivier. (CBC)

Several major Quebec television personalities even weighed in to express their own personal disgust.

"Very, very, very disappointing verdict. Criminally not responsible! I don't believe it," wrote Guy A. Lepage, host of the popular television talk show Tout le monde en parle, on his own Twitter account.

Another prominent Quebec TV personality, Julie Snyder, wrote that she was crying while thinking of the verdict: "I'm astonished," she added.

Veteran lawyer and former Quebec crown prosecutor Robert La Haye said the public's emotional response is not surprising, but it's important to remember that juries are not supposed to be populist.

He said juries render justice based on evidence.

"They weighed the evidence, dissected it and decided at the end of the day, and concluded reasonably and without emotion," La Haye said.

Turcotte faces round of psychiatric tests

Crown attorney Claudia Carbonneau said she would study the case before deciding whether to appeal.

"At this point, after a long trial, our thoughts are with Anne-Sophie and Olivier, and the family of Anne-Sophie and Olivier," she said.
CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Si-tur12
Turcotte with his daughter Anne-Sophie. (CBC)

The children's tearful mother asked outside the courtroom to be left alone so that she could have her privacy again.

Gaston told reporters she hopes a place after life exists where she can see her children again. "I'd like a sign that they're all right, that they're happy," she said, in tears.

Turcotte's future is up to a psychiatric review committee that will assess his state of mind and his risk to public safety.

He will undergo a series of psychiatric evaluations at the Pinel Institute in Montreal before the committee decides whether he needs to remain in custody.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/07/05/quebec-turcotte-verdict.html

Related Links:

AUDIO: Dramatic Turcotte decision surprises courtroom
IN DEPTH: What does 'not criminally responsible' ruling mean?
Mother writes farewell note to children killed

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Turcotte's wife opens up to Radio-Canada
Exclusive 2010 interview kept off-air until conclusion of MD's murder trial
July 11, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Li-isa10
Isabelle Gaston said what happened to her children was fixed in her head. (Radio-Canada)

The mother of the two children killed by former Que. physician Guy Turcotte says she had convinced herself to be grateful she knew her children, rather than than regret their deaths.

A lengthy interview with Isabelle Gaston aired Sunday night on Radio-Canada's On prend toujours un train pour la vie. It was recorded in August 2010, but Radio-Canada was not allowed to air it until Turcotte's murder trial had concluded.

Last week, Turcotte, 39, was found not criminally responsible for stabbing to death the two young children by a jury in Saint-Jérôme, Que. after a trial that lasted more than two months.

Gaston said the verdict disappointed her, but admitted that even a first-degree murder conviction would not have satisfied her, because it still would not have brought her children back.

In the interview, Gaston wondered how Turcotte, a cardiologist who saved lives, could kill his own children.

Gaston also spoke of dealing with the tragedy.

"It's terrible, but what happened is fixed in my head. I can't exaggerate or minimize how bad it was...all I can do is can leave and begin mourning what he did to my children," said Gaston.

Gaston also said she actively chose how she would perceive what had happened.

"Instead of saying I was unfortunate to lose them, I think about how fortunate I was to have known them," she said.

Public outcry

The verdict has also received a bitter reaction from the public.

An online petition calling for a revision of the Turcotte verdict now has more than 6,000 signatures.

"Considering that we pay for justice services, we feel the service was not rendered fairly," the petition reads.

Several Facebook groups have also emerged calling for peaceful protests in front of courthouses in Quebec City and Montreal in early August.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/07/11/turcotte-wife-interview.html

Related Links:

WATCH: Interview with Isabelle Gaston (French)
Quebecers to protest Turcotte ruling

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:43 pm

Crown will appeal Turcotte ruling
July 22, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Anneso11
Guy Tucotte was found not criminally responsible in the stabbing of his two children. ((Radio-Canada))

The Crown says it is appealing the recent verdict against a former Quebec doctor who murdered his two kids.

Guy Turcotte was found not criminally responsible in the stabbing deaths of his five-year-old son and three-year-old daughter.

The jury's decision on July 5 outraged many Quebecers.

Turcotte admitted to having caused their deaths in 2009, but denied criminal intent.

He was on trial on two counts of first-degree murder.

Quebec's director of criminal and penal prosecutors said in a statement today it is appealing the verdict because of the judge's instructions to the jury.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/07/22/montreal-turcotte-crown-appeals.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Lawyer expected appeal of Turcotte verdict
In July, Quebec cardiologist was found not criminally responsible for his childrens' murders
July 23, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Si-tur13
Olivier and Anne-Sophie were stabbed to death in 2009.

At least one legal expert isn't surprised the Crown is appealing the verdict given to a Quebec physician who killed his own children.

Cardiologist Guy Turcotte was found not criminally responsible for the deaths earlier in July.

Late Friday, the Crown announced that it would appeal the decision.

A lawyer who has followed Turcotte's case said the Crown is arguing the judge didn't instruct the jury properly.

"They are basically serious allegations on the directives that the judge and the behaviour of the judge during the trial and I am not surprised that the Crown decided to the test the case into the appeal court," said lawyer Conrad Lord.

If the higher court agrees with the Crown's allegations, a new trial could begin next year.

It's something the mother of the victims clearly said she didn't want after the verdict was handed down.

"I hope that this is the end of a bad story," Isabelle Gaston said on July 5.

Gaston tearfully told reporters that she did not want an appeal because a second trial would be too hard on her and her family.

Now it's up the provincial appeals court to decide whether it will agree to begin a new trial.

Lord doubts public backlash following the initial verdict will influence the higher court's decision.

"They're very experienced judges, it's not the first delicate case they've had to evaluate," he said.

A jury found Turcotte, who admitted he stabbed his two children to death, not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder.

The judge had instructed jurors that acquittal was not an option, as Turcotte admitted he stabbed his children, Anne-Sophie, 3, and Olivier, 5, in February 2009, in a rented home north of Montreal.

The 39-year-old physician was charged with first-degree murder, but always denied intent, and the defence focused on his state of mind at the time of the killings.

Before the killings, Turcotte had learned that his wife, Isabelle Gaston, was having a sexual relationship with another man.

Meanwhile, a review board is still slated to begin hearings next month on Turcotte's current mental state Aug. 12.

Lawyer Jean-Claude Hébert, with the review board, expects the proceedings will still go ahead, despite the appeal.

"There's nothing which should intervene between the two proceedings because one is independent of the other proceeding." said Hébert Friday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2011/07/23/montreal-turcotte-follo-723.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:25 am

I'm prepared to testify in Turcotte retrial: Gaston
July 25, 2011

MONTREAL – Declaring that “individuals who make use of violence should be held responsible for their acts,” Isabelle Gaston said Monday that she is now prepared for a possible return to the witness stand if the Quebec Court of Appeals orders a retrial for Guy Turcotte.

On July 5, a jury declared Turcotte not criminally responsible in the February 2009 stabbing deaths of the two children Gaston had with Turcotte.

“Contrary to what I said on the day of the verdict,” Gaston said in a written public statement, “if a new trial is ordered and if I am requested to return and testify again, I will go.”

Soon after the unanimous jury verdict had been delivered, Gaston had told reporters that she didn’t want any appeal.

“I wanted to move on, to calm my suffering and sadness,” she said in Monday’s statement.

However, “after two weeks of deep reflection, I know today that I will not live my life with my heart and my spirit at peace while knowing that I had not acted to condemn what I believe was a mistake.

“I understand that the Crown prosecutors don’t only represent my interests, but those of us all ... and have to act to protect our society.

“I believe the right to life is the most important of the values of our society, that children are our greatest riches and that we must all protect them from all forms of violence.”

READ MORE

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:19 pm

Quebecers to protest in 14 cities over verdict in Turcotte child-murder case
August 4, 2011

The public outcry is still palpable in Quebec, one month later, over a jury’s decision to find a man who stabbed to death his two children not criminally responsible for his actions.

That anger will be on display Saturday, as people demonstrate at 14 cities across Quebec.

They will protest a jury’s decision in the murder case of Guy Turcotte, a former cardiologist who stabbed his children 46 times while they were lying in their beds.

Turcotte admitted to having caused the deaths in 2009, but he denied criminal intent. He said he only remembered flashes of what happened that evening but couldn’t explain why he killed the children.

Protest organizers say people are citing different reasons for attending: some are angry with the justice system, some are angry at the verdict, and others want jury trials abolished.

Others have said they want Ottawa to adopt stricter guidelines for when a not-criminally-responsible verdict can be rendered.

One thing the protesters agree on is their stated desire to pay tribute to the young victims — Anne Sophie, 3, and Olivier, 5.

“The goal of our protest is to advance the cause — what’s at the heart of it is children’s rights,” said Marie-Josee Gadoury, a mother of three who is organizing an event south of Montreal in St-Jean-Sur-Richelieu.

“When you see a judgment like the one Turcotte got, it just sends you for a loop.”

The public response has been considerable, at least on paper: over 3,000 people are signed up to attend the Montreal and Quebec City events, combined. A dozen other cities are scheduled to have events.

Turcotte claimed he was despondent over the breakup of his marriage with Isabelle Gaston and was pushed over the edge upon learning that she had been having an affair with her personal trainer.

The prosecution failed to get a conviction on two counts of first-degree murder. But much has happened since the jury came back with its verdict on July 5th.

The Crown has said it’s appealing the verdict because it believes the judge erred in law in his instructions to the jury. It has also asked the Quebec Court of Appeal to hear the case.

In the meantime, on Aug. 12, Turcotte goes before a mental health tribunal which will determine whether he is fit to be released of if he should stay detained for another year.

After initially saying she wanted nothing more to do with courts, Gaston, the children’s mother, publicly said she supported the Crown’s decision to appeal and was prepared to testify again if needed.

Organizers say that Gaston’s about-face has encouraged others to get involved and fight for change.

Karine Lavoie, who will attend the Gatineau protest, said the public perception that there was an injustice with this verdict hasn’t changed despite the month that has passed.

“I don’t think it has died down, instead I think it’s just as intense and people are just as angry and just as disappointed,” Lavoie said.

“It’s not surprising people would be upset by this situation.”

The protest movement was unintentionally started by a couple of 14-year-olds.

Laurie, who asked that her last name not be used for security reasons, started a group on Facebook dubbed, “Against the Verdict of the Guy Turcotte trial,” shortly after the decision came down.

“We didn’t understand how the jury could have come to this decision and we created a page in the hopes that some friends would express their opinion,” Laurie said in a telephone interview.

“We thought maybe 30 or 50 people would join the group but we were overwhelmed.”

As of this week, more than 22,000 people signed up for the page and the debate has been heated.

Other event organizers confided they were subjected to threats and taunts online. They took flak from detractors who said they agreed with the verdict, and others who said they preferred the status quo.

“We don’t have they same way of thinking, but we all have the same goal: protecting children,” Gadoury said.

“Some people are going to be angry at the verdict, some are angry with how the justice system works, everyone has different reasons, but the (goal on Saturday) is to advance the cause.”

As far as Laurie is concerned, the young victims in this case should be remembered.

“It’s still a murder and a murder is unforgivable,” Laurie said. “Anne-Sophie and Oliver had a right to their life.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1034610--quebecers-to-protest-in-14-cities-over-verdict-in-turcotte-child-murder-case

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 pm

Facebook: Contre le verdict du procès de Guy Turcotte

above link to French FB page: Against the verdict of the Guy Turcotte trial

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 pm

Facebook: rassemblement amical en memoire a anne-sophie et olivier

Friendly gathering in memory of Anne-Sophie and Olivier Turcotte,
Saturday, August 20th, 12:00pm - 5:00pm at Parc Maisonneuve in Montreal

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:22 am

Quebecers protest Turcotte child-murder verdict
August 6, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Protes10
Hundreds of protesters gathered in front of court buildings in 15 cities across the province Saturday afternoon to denounce the verdict handed to Guy Turcotte, who was found not criminally responsible after admitting to killing his two young children in February 2009. (QMI Agency)

Hundreds of protesters gathered in front of court buildings in 15 cities across the province Saturday afternoon to denounce the verdict handed to Guy Turcotte, who was found not criminally responsible after admitting to killing his two young children in February 2009.

The 11-person jury unanimously decided in July that the former cardiologist was, due to mental health reasons, not criminally responsible for stabbing five-year-old Olivier and three-year-old Anne Sophie 46 times in his rented home in Piedmont, north of Montreal.

The jurors accepted the defence's argument that Turcotte suffered from depression and anxiety and was suicidal after he found out his estranged wife, Isabelle Gaston, was having an affair with a friend.

Gaston was one of 150 protesters at a downtown Montreal courthouse on Saturday.

"Given the extent of support I have received, I could not help but come and say thank you to these people," Gaston told QMI Agency.

Organizers used Facebook to coordinate Quebecers in 15 cities and said their goal was to show that many people in the province are upset with the criminal justice system.

Daniel Flamant, one of the organizers, said Turcotte has to pay for what he did.

"A murder is a murder, regardless of the reason, he has to pay," he said, adding that he thinks a "good portion" of the Quebec population agrees with him.

Flamant said he isn't against banning juries from every trial; however, when it comes to "serious cases like Turcotte's," juries might not be able to judge the facts effectively.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/06/quebecers-protest-turcotte-child-murder-verdict

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:27 am

Mother of murdered children joined protest against Turcotte verdict
August 6, 2011

Guy Turcotte was not disturbed enough to justify a verdict of ‘not criminally responsible’ in the deaths of his children, his ex-wife told a gathering to protest the controversial verdict Saturday.

Isabelle Gaston, the mother of the two children Turcotte stabbed to death, joined protesters outside the Montreal courthouse. She compared Turcotte to O.J. Simpson and said Canada’s justice system urgently needs reform.

“I don’t believe that he had a psychiatric illness that is that bad that he lost his judgment,” she said, adding that she expects to be disappointed when Turcotte faces a five-member panel on Friday to determine whether he can be released from hospital.

“Casey (Anthony) is free. O.J. Simpson is free. Guy Turcotte will be free one day. It’s terrible but it’s our law.”

Turcotte, 39, stabbed their son, Olivier, 5, and daughter, Anne-Sophie, 3, 27 and 19 times respectively. Their bodies were found Feb. 21, 2009, in a house Turcotte had rented in Piedmont, 65 kilometres northwest of Montreal.

The jury agreed with Turcotte’s lawyers that the cardiologist suffered from a mental disorder and was disconnected from reality when he killed his children. Turcotte was depressed because his marriage had failed after his wife began having an affair with their personal trainer.

The verdict touched off a storm of controversy in Quebec. The Crown intends to appeal.

Gaston was among about 100 protesters outside the Palais de justice, some carrying signs that read “Solidarity for Anne-Sophie and Olivier.” A small pile of stuffed animals sat on a step with a blue and pink candle burning in front of it.

In Gatineau, Que., about 20 people showed up at the Palais de justice building to protest the verdict. “It’s ridiculous that he’s not criminally responsible,” said Tanya Barbeau, an Ottawa-area mother, who was visibly upset by the ruling.

“I’m here to give those kids a voice so that they don’t die in vain. I just feel I had to do something for those kids. They were brutally stabbed,” said Barbeau, adding that she has two small children almost the same ages of Oliver and Anne-Sophie.

“Even last night, when I was rocking my almost two year-old I said to myself, ‘Didn’t the father (Turcotte) ever do this?’ I don’t get the justice system at all.”

Gaston said that Turcotte’s fate never should have been left to a jury to decide; in cases with complex psychiatric evidence, she said, only psychiatrists and judges are qualified to rule.

“We don’t put life as a major value in our society,” she said. “At a certain level we forgot my son and my daughter in this process.

“It’s not screaming for screaming. It’s not eye for eye, a tooth for tooth. It’s not that the principle.”

She said she had to work up her nerve to attend Saturday’s protest, because she knew the media would be there in force.

“Today it has taken me a lot of courage to be here because I knew you would be here and my wish is really to return to my private life,” she said. “But I couldn’t let people denounce and take a stand and stay at home.

“I took it upon myself and I came to their side to thank them.”

The mother of a boy named Sebastien Metivier, who went missing more than 25 years ago, said she came out to support Gaston. Christiane Sirois hugged Gaston and told her to keep fighting for change.

According to a published report, the five-member panel assessing Turcotte’s danger to society on Friday includes two lawyers, Medard Saucier and Lucien Leblanc, two psychiatrists, Georges Painchaud and Chantal Caron, and a social worker, Joseph Anglade. Usually, mental health review panels only have three members, but the complexity of the case led the Administrative tribunal of Quebec to add extra members.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Mother+murdered+children+joined+protest+against+Turcotte+verdict/5216869/story.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 am

Mental health panel to review child-killer Turcotte's case Friday
August 11, 2011

His colleagues in the legal profession considered it the biggest coup in his four decades of defending people accused of the most heinous crimes.

Pierre Poupart's inbox began filling with congratulatory emails as well as vitriolic ones almost immediately after the jury in the Guy Turcotte murder trial declared that the cardiologist was not criminally responsible for the stabbing deaths of his two young children. They had deliberated for five days.

Poupart, along with his brother Guy, also a lawyer, will once again be with their infamous client Friday as a five-member panel of experts holds a hearing at Montreal's Philippe Pinel Institute mental health facility to debate whether Turcotte would pose a danger to society should he be freed.

The panel's decision, which won't be made Friday, will be one of three options: release Turcotte with conditions, release him without conditions or order that he stay in Pinel. If either of the last two options are chosen, the decision will be reviewed annually by the panel.

The review panel includes two lawyers, Medard Saucier and Lucien Leblanc, two psychiatrists, Georges Painchaud and Chantal Caron, and a social worker, Joseph Anglade. Usually, mental health review panels have three members, but the complexity of the case prompted the Administrative Tribunal of Quebec to add more.

The hearing, which begins at 1 p.m., will be held in a large auditorium and is expected to draw many members of the public and media. Given the emotional reaction to the case, all those attending will be searched by police before being allowed in.

Few verdicts in Quebec have elicited such a passionate response as the one delivered in St. Jerome July 5, 2011. Radio call-in shows, letters to the editor and online sites burned with the outraged rants of flabbergasted Canadians, unable to grasp why a man who admitted to stabbing his two children to death would not be locked up in prison forever.

The Crown announced it would appeal the verdict on the basis that Justice Marc David erred in his instructions to the jury.

READ MORE

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:47 am

Killer Guy Turcotte’s review hearing postponed
August 12, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Anne-s16
Guy Turcotte's father, Real Turcotte (red shirt) is stopped at security before
being allowed to enter Philippe-Pinel Institute in Montreal on Friday.
Photograph by: Dave Sidaway, The Gazette

The hearing of the year was running late. Nearly two hours past the 1 p.m. start time, members of the public and media were milling about behind yellow tape, waiting to enter the auditorium where child killer Guy Turcotte would be deemed a danger to society or declared a free man.

Most had arrived much earlier to claim choice seats, but it was in vain. Guards at the Pinel Institute, deep inside the industrial parks of Rivière des Prairies, would not let anyone in save officials and patients. On the lawn outside the main gate, cameras circled a small group of polite middle-age ladies who represented the angry mob many expected.

Since Guy Turcotte was found not criminally responsible for stabbing his two young children to death, radio talk shows and editorial pages have been frothing with public outrage. After this hearing, a five-member panel would decide if Turcotte would be released with conditions, released unconditionally, or held at Pinel.

The angry mob many had expected didn’t come.

“We find out what is in the media, but sometimes when you are there in person you learn new things,” said Chantal Rondeau as she waited under the sun with her companions.

One of them was Sylvie Provost, who organized last weekend’s protest against the verdict. She is following the case to, if needed, voice her protest against the verdict in the House of Commons.

“I want to hear with my own ears and form my own opinion,” she said.

Four guards stood inside the doors with metal detectors in their hands. Everyone had to empty their pockets and submit to a scan.

They nearly prevented Rachel Gaston, the grandmother of the slain children, from entering the hearing because she was carrying a purse. A stranger outside offered to hold it for her.

Then the public waited again, this time behind the yellow tape, just outside the auditorium.

Finally, at 2:20 p.m. the yellow tape was taken down and the public allowed into the auditorium. On the stage were four empty tables with red tablecloths and microphones. To the left was a small television set with live video feed of a man behind a desk.

Family members sat in the front row. A few minutes later they were asked by guards to leave the auditorium. At 2:40, the five-member panel of experts took their seats, but no one else. Neither the Crown prosecutors nor the defence lawyers present throughout Turcotte’s trial were anywhere to be seen.

“Yesterday afternoon we received important information that needed verification,” said Médard Saucier, the lawyer who leads the panel. “And as you know, finding a date where five people are available can be challenging.

“Therefore, this hearing will be postponed until Nov. 4, a Friday. Thank you.”

There was no angry mob, and, to further dismay, no hearing. Turcotte will remain in custody for another 82 days at Pinel.

The nature of that last-minute information was not disclosed, and will remain confidential, said Jean-Claude Hébert, a spokesman for the Administrative Tribunal of Quebec. Until the postponement was announced, lawyers on both sides had been debating what to do.

“The commission has a duty to evaluate any information that’s presented to them,” Hébert said. “If they decide that information merits testimony, the author will be asked to speak publicly before the panel.”

Hébert assured journalists that the information is not criminal in any way. When asked if it comes from someone involved in the case, he answered, “To a certain extent I have to draw that conclusion.”

He added that Turcotte was given the option to accept or decline the delay. “He agreed via his lawyers,” he said.

READ MORE

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:20 pm

August 13, 2011 - A mysterious letter has postponed a mental-health hearing for a former doctor who stabbed his children to death and was found not criminally responsible by a jury.

Guy Turcotte was scheduled to appear Friday before a mental-health review board that will decide whether to let him go free — but the hearing was put off until November.

Quebecers had been riveted by the ex-cardiologist’s murder case and there was widespread outrage last month after the trial verdict. Friday’s highly anticipated review-board hearing was top news in the province.

But the five-member panel hearing the case demanded more time to investigate. Lawyer Medard Saucier, chairman of the tribunal, said the letter dated Aug. 10 was received Thursday by the panel.

"It was a letter that contained some information — relevant, at first look, to the hearing," said Jean-Claude Hebert, a lawyer who is acting as spokesman for the board.

The lawyers were informed Friday of the new information and agreed to postpone the case even though the new date — Nov. 4 — surpasses the 90-day time frame following a verdict within which a hearing has to take place.

Details about the nature of the letter, who it came from and its contents were being closely guarded.

In the meantime, Turcotte will remain detained at the hospital. He agreed through his lawyer to the delay.

"He will have to stay in detention until the very moment the board will deliver its decision," Hebert said.

Turcotte’s mother and father were among a contingent of family present for Friday’s hearing. On the other side, only the victims’ grandmother — Turcotte’s ex-mother-in-law — was present.

The hearing was to be held under tight security at a Montreal psychiatric facility.

In his sensational murder trial, Turcotte admitted to causing the deaths of his two children in their beds in 2009 — but he denied intending to do it.

He stabbed his son, Olivier, and daughter, Anne-Sophie, a total of 46 times. But Turcotte said he could only remember flashes of that fateful evening, devastated as he was by grief upon learning that his estranged wife had been cheating on him.

The Crown had charged him with two counts of first-degree murder, but a jury found him not criminally responsible for the deaths.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Canada/1258035.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 pm

Turcotte letter written by sister
August 25, 2011

There is a report this morning that the letter that prompted a delay in the release hearing for killer Guy Turcotte was from his sister.

Turcotte was found not criminally responsible for the deaths of his two children by reason of mental illness. An August 12 hearing to determine whether he should remain in psychiatric care was abruptly postponed after the letter was received.

La Presse is reporting that the sender was a younger sister who alleges that the whole truth did not come out at trial and that Turcotte had previously threatened his children.

http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10281990

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:50 pm

Turcotte's sister afraid for her family's safety
August 26, 2011

The sister of Guy Turcotte says she is afraid of her brother and is worried that if he is released from custody, he may harm her family.
This summer he was found not criminally responsible in the stabbing deaths of his two children due to mental illness.
And he is now waiting for a psychiatric assessment hearing to determine his current state of mind and whether he can be released.

The hearing which was was scheduled to begin this month was postponed when his sister sent a letter to the panel saying that her brother had a history of threatening his children and important information about him was never brought to light at the trial.

TVA News says in an email exchange with one of its reporters, the women says she fears her brother may seek revenge and she fears for her children's safety if Turcotte is freed and that she and her husband have consulted lawyers and police on the matter.

http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10282389

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Turcotte hearing set for Friday
November 03, 2011

Former cardiologist Guy Turcotte who confessed to murdering his two children in 2009, but was found not criminally responsible because of his mental state at the time, will be back before a mental health review board tomorrow.

The hearing was abruptly adjourned in early August, after board members received a letter from his sister who claimed that Turcotte had made threats previously.

The board is considering three options including releasing Turcotte with no conditions, release with conditions and keeping him confined with periodic reviews of his case.

http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10309272

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Child-killing Quebec doctor says he wants to find love again, have more kids
November 04, 2011

MONTREAL - A notorious Quebec child-killer has some big plans.

Former cardiologist Guy Turcotte, who stabbed his young children 46 times but was found not criminally responsible for his act, wants to pick up his medical career where it left off.

Turcotte has also told psychiatrists treating him in a Montreal institution that he'd like to move to another part of Canada where he's less notorious.

He apparently hopes to find love again. He's already been getting letters from admirers at his psychiatric institution.

And he wants more kids.

Thirty-three months ago, Turcotte stabbed his only two children to death in their beds. He said he was distraught over the breakup of his marriage and could not recall details of the incident.

He was found not criminally responsible in a jury decision that triggered outrage in Quebec this past July. Turcotte has been in a psychiatric institution since then and is now arguing for his release.

A psychiatrist and a psychologist both testified before a tribunal Friday that Turcotte should be detained for at least another year. Doctors said it remains unknown just what triggered the rage that led to the brutal events of February 2009 and why Turcotte killed five-year-old Olivier and three-year-old Anne-Sophie.

"It could happen again," psychologist Guy Desjardins told the mental-health tribunal.

"Because we're talking about the same vulnerabilities as before... (Turcotte's) fragility not only hasn't been treated, it hasn't even been identified."

Later in the day, the mother of the two dead children said she knows why Turcotte snapped: he wanted to hurt her, because she had left him for another man. She said she still lives in fear that he'll harm her.

"The bomb is still there, it hasn't been disarmed," Isabelle Gaston warned the mental-health board.

While she tried to have her voice heard Friday by the tribunal, she was stymied at every turn. The five-member tribunal interrupted as she sobbed while reading a letter recounting her life with Turcotte and the impact of her children's death. The board refused to see a video that included pictures of the children.

Gaston tearfully said she would never see Olivier read a book or Anne-Sophie attend her first day of school.

But Gaston was interrupted when she described her ex-husband as a dangerous manipulator. Board members also cut off Gaston's mother and brother during their testimony.

They were reminded that the purpose of Friday's hearing was not to put Turcotte back on trial. That's when Gaston reminded board members of their role.

"Commissioners, you have a duty to ensure that this man no longer presents a threat to society," Gaston pleaded.

"I am a member of society. And I believe he represents a threat to my safety."

Gaston called her ex-husband's actions unforgivable, adding that, as an emergency-room doctor, she often dealt with depressed patients.

She said her own knowledge of medicine allowed her to imagine the agony of what 46 stab wounds might feel like.

She said she felt abandoned by the justice system. Meanwhile, in the public gallery, spectators grumbled repeatedly at the tribunal's moves to interrupt her.

Earlier Friday, psychiatrist Pierre Rochette said Turcotte hasn't taken part in any psychotherapy since arriving at the institution after his verdict.

The decision is based on the advice of Turcotte's lawyers. The Crown has appealed the verdict and he might have to testify again if there's a re-trial.

Turcotte told his earlier trial that he could only remember flashes of the night his children died.

But until he opens up further and doctors understand his case better, Rochette said, Turcotte should remain institutionalized.

"All that psychotherapy work still needs to be done,'' the psychiatrist testified Friday. "I'm not sure he'll be able to find help outside (the hospital)."

Rochette testified that Turcotte wants to leave Quebec — where he is an infamous household name — and start practising cardiology again. He also hopes to find love and perhaps have more kids.

He said Turcotte had received fan mail.

The psychiatrist testified that he met with Turcotte's ex-wife, the mother of the slain children. Gaston expressed concern for her own safety, for her current partner's and for that of any children she might eventually have.

Turcotte's previously scheduled hearing was abruptly cancelled last August after a mysterious, unflattering letter written by his own sister came to light.

She eventually claimed in media interviews that Turcotte had previously made threats against his family.

The five-member panel will eventually decide whether Turcotte should be freed, released with conditions, or remain detained in a psychiatric institution with a yearly review of his file.

The panel will reconvene to continue Turcotte's hearing. Once the hearing is finished, a written ruling is expected at a later date.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/case-of-quebec-father-who-killed-kids-returns-before-mental-health-board-133220918.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Psychiatrist says Turcotte should not be freed yet
November 04, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Anne-s17
Guy Turcotte holds his daughter Anne-Sophie in an undated handout photo.

A psychiatrist who examined a former doctor who confessed to killing his two children has advised that the man be detained for at least another year.

Dr. Pierre Rochette delivered his assessment of Guy Turcotte to members of a mental-health review board in Montreal on Friday morning.

Rochette told the panel that Turcotte is still struggling with the emotions that led him to fatally stab five-year-old Olivier and three-year old Anne-Sophie two years ago.

The board is tasked with deciding whether Turcotte should be freed, released with conditions or remain at a psychiatric facility with an annual review of his case.

While Rochette told the panel that Turcotte has made progress and is off medication, he recommended that the former doctor remain in custody for further treatment.

Turcotte has admitted to causing the deaths of his two children but denies intending to hurt them.

He has said that he was distraught over the breakup of his marriage and could only remember flashbacks from the evening he stabbed his children a total of 46 times.

There was widespread outrage last July when jurors found Turcotte not criminally responsible in the deaths, a verdict the Crown intends to appeal.

The review board heard Friday that the former cardiologist hopes to one day resume his medical practice, meet another woman and perhaps have more children.

But those formerly close to Turcotte have said that they don't want the man to go free.

Turcotte's ex-wife Isabelle Gaston has said she would fear for her life if her former husband was released, the board heard.

Gaston's appearance before the board on Friday was cut short as she tearfully described the impact of the murders. "I am a mother who doesn't have children. I spend the better part of my time crying," she said. "To know that they are dead is terrible, to know that they suffered is hell."

The board did not let her finish, noting that the purpose of the hearing was not to put Turcotte back on trial.

Outside, her brother Patrick Gaston echoed complaints that Turcotte has said little about the murders and his state of mind.

"He said nothing. He said only what his lawyers told him to say," Gaston told reporters. "Maybe that's a winning combination for him and them, but for me, and the rest of the people I know, it's questionable."

The long-awaited hearing resumed Friday after being abruptly cancelled last August when a letter written by Turcotte's sister prompted a delay in the case.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20111104/turcotte-review-kids-murder-111104/

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Cardiologist Guy Turcotte, who killed his children, wants to work and have a family
Stabbed his two children to death in 2009

November 04, 2011

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Turcot10
A family photo introduced as evidence earlier in the trial shows Guy Turcotte carrying his daughter,
Anne-Sophie, during a visit atop Whistler Mountain in British Columbia in 2006.

MONTREAL – There’s a “missing link” that would explain how a successful cardiologist and loving father like Guy Turcotte could stab his children to death, a psychiatrist at the Pinel Institute testified Friday – and until experts understand what caused him to snap, no one can predict whether it might happen again.

Testifying before a mental health review panel, convened to decide whether to release Turcotte or keep him detained at the Pinel Institute, psychiatrist Pierre Rochette recommended Turcotte be held for at least another year.

Earlier Friday, Rochette told the packed room that Turcotte wants to get back to work as a cardiologist, and can see himself falling in love again and having more children, probably in another province. He described Turcotte as someone who falls in love easily, and he has received letters from female admirers – which worries Rochette another dangerous situation could arise.

The hearing is taking place in what is normally a visiting room for inmates at the psychiatric hospital, complete with vending machines and bathrooms, with limited seating for the public and journalists. Turcotte’s parents and brothers are in attendance, as is Isabelle Gaston, Turcotte’s ex-wife and the mother of the slain children, as well as her brother.

Turcotte is also present, though unlike at his trial, he is not handcuffed or in the prisoner’s box. After a 10-week trial he was found by a jury to be criminally not responsible for his actions because of his mental state at the time and has been an inmate at Pinel since July 18th.

Rochette, who interviewed Turcotte over eight hours since he was admitted, said he hasn’t been able to delve deeper into Turcotte’s mind to find the missing link – so Turcotte hasn’t been treated. Nothing has changed, Rochette said, since before Turcotte killed his children.

“If we don’t understand now, and we didn’t understand in 2009, we don’t know what can happen,” Rochette said.

Rochette also met with Turcotte’s sister, Annie. She penned the letter in August that forced the hearing to be delayed at the last minute, because it contained potentially relevant, new information.

During a two-hour interview with Rochette, the sister explained that she was now at odds with the rest of her family, who blame Isabelle Gaston for the children’s deaths. Annie disagrees, and spoke to Rochette of Turcotte’s anger and rage toward Isabelle before the killings. The rest of Turcotte’s family has refused to meet with the psychiatrist, adding to his lack of understanding.

Turcotte admitted to repeatedly stabbing to death his children, Olivier, 5, and Anne Sophie, 3, in 2009 after a bitter separation from his wife.

The verdict of non-reponsibility means Turcotte can be released if he is deemed to pose no further danger to the public. The hearing now underway will decide whether Turcotte can walk free without conditions, whether he can be released with conditions or whether to keep him detained indefinitely.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Turcotte+wants+work+have+family/5657985/story.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:14 pm

Disturbing details at Turcotte hearing
Ex-wife sobs; Impact statement blocked by panel

November 05, 2011

Isabelle Gaston had sat through six hours of testimony by mental health professionals answering questions about whether Guy Turcotte really posed a veritable, imminent and substantial threat to anyone, four months after he was found not criminally responsible for stabbing his two young children to death.

They recommended he be kept for another year at the Pinel Institute.

They were asked: Wouldn't he benefit from rejoining society? Couldn't he at least be allowed to go on outings from the institute unaccompanied?

Add on the 10-week trial that saw her ex-husband sent to a psychiatric hospital instead of prison, and Gaston had been waiting a long time to give her victim impact statement.

But at 5 p.m., when it was finally her turn to speak, it didn't happen as planned.

The mental health review board wouldn't let her show the 90-second video statement she had prepared, because it contained images of Anne-Sophie, 3, and Olivier, 5, before their tragic deaths.

And after she explained how Turcotte had turned her into a mother without children, a doctor who had lost respect for her profession, a woman no one could look at without feeling bad, and a daughter who had lost her own mother, the latter now obsessed with finding a way to eliminate Turcotte, the board cut her off.

"Madame," interrupted Médard Saucier, one of two lawyers on the board who was directing the hearing. "You're putting him on trial here. That's not the goal."

"I couldn't say it in court - who can I say it to?" Gaston pleaded.

"You can't make that kind of declaration here," said Lucien Leblanc, the other lawyer on the panel.

Through almost constant sobbing, the normally poised Gaston quickly summed up: "I am a doctor, I know what it is for someone to be stabbed 46 times. Anne-Sophie was pulling her hair out. - I have paid enough and I want to live in safety. I'd like to know he'd never be less than 100 kilometres from me. - I'm the one who's going to die."

Gaston's statement, followed by her brother's and her mother's, brought a dramatic conclusion to a day of testimony on the risks posed to society if Turcotte is released, including some startling revelations about his time at Pinel.

Psychiatrist Pierre Rochette had already told the packed room that Turcotte, if released, wants to get back to work as a cardiologist, and can see himself falling in love again and having more children, probably in another province.

Rochette described Turcotte, who killed his children after Gaston left him for another man, as someone who falls in love easily. At Pinel, while fraternizing with the other inmates, many of them sexual delinquents, Turcotte has been receiving letters from female admirers - which worried Rochette that another dangerous situation could arise.

But his recommendation that Turcotte remain detained in the hospital was based on what he called the "missing link" - that doctors still can't explain how a successful cardiologist like Turcotte could stab the children he loved to death. Until experts understand what caused him to snap, no one can predict whether it might happen again, Rochette said.

The psychiatrist, who interviewed Turcotte over eight hours since he was admitted in July, said he hasn't been able to delve deeper into Turcotte's mind to find the missing link, partly because the upcoming appeal of the verdict in his murder trial may be stopping Turcotte from straying from the "official version" and revealing any hidden motivations.

Anger and rage may be part of the missing link, he said. As a result, Turcotte, who tried to commit suicide while detained at the R.D.P detention centre, hasn't been treated.

"Nothing has changed," Rochette said. "If we don't understand now, and we didn't understand in 2009, we don't know what can happen."

Rochette also met with Turcotte's sister, Annie. She penned the letter in August that forced the hearing to be delayed at the last minute, because it contained potentially relevant, new information.

During a two-hour interview with Rochette, the sister explained that she was now at odds with the rest of her family, who blame Gaston for the children's deaths.

Annie spoke to Rochette of Turcotte's anger and rage toward Isabelle before the killings. The rest of Turcotte's family, including his parents and two brothers who were present during the hearing, have refused to meet with the psychiatrist, adding to his lack of understanding.

Psychologist Guy Desjardins, who testified Friday, said releasing Turcotte to go back and live with his parents may not be appropriate under the circumstances, and could even be toxic if they are feeding his hatred for his ex-wife and her new partner.

He told the panel, which also included two psychiatrists and a social worker, that if Turcotte's actions were the result of an "adaptation disorder" and his inability to manage stress factors, he was more at risk of committing a grave act today than he would have been before the killings.

In February 2009, Turcotte was a successful cardiologist going through an acrimonious breakup and the betrayal by his best friend. Now he is probably in debt, and even if he is given back his licence to work as a cardiologist, he would probably have a hard time finding a hospital that would hire him.

He killed the people he loved most, he has no love life, there is deep hatred in society at large for him, and he is facing a possible appeal of the verdict, Desjardins said.

Asked by Leblanc whether Turcotte poses a "predictable" risk to an identifiable person if released, Desjardins said it is the unpredictability of Turcotte's condition, when he could snap and with whom, that is most worrisome.

"It may not be next week, but next month, in three months, or six months, the more he is exposed to stressors and not following intensive treatment. - If the risk was shoplifting or assault, we would not be so cautious. But when we're talking about double homicide, I think there is reason to be prudent."

Turcotte's lawyer, Pierre Poupart, plans on calling at least six people to testify, including several professionals, and possibly Guy Turcotte, as well as members of his family.

The verdict of non-responsibility means Turcotte can be released if he is deemed to pose no further danger to the public. The hearing now under way will decide whether Turcotte can walk free without conditions, whether he can be released with conditions or whether to keep him detained indefinitely.

If released, Guy Turcotte hopes to get back to work as a cardiologist. He told a psychologist he can see himself falling in love again and having more children, probably in another province.

Female admirers have been sending Turcotte letters at the Pinel Institute. He has "integrated" well with other patients - most of them sexual delinquents.

Suicide risk: While in detention, Turcotte attempted suicide by overdosing on a prescription drug.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Disturbing+details+Turcotte+hearing/5661767/story.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:57 am

November 08, 2011 - The former wife of Guy Turcotte describes him as a bomb and she fears for her life if he is released from custody.

Turcotte is in the Pinel Institute awaiting the decision of a mental competency review board committee on whether to release him or keep behind bars for another year.

Earlier this year Turcotte admitted to stabbing his two children to death but was found not criminally responsible because of his mental state at the time.

His former wife, Isabelle Gaston wrote a letter to the board last week, but was not allowed to read it at the time.

It appears in this morning's Journal de Montreal.

Among other things Gaston says that Turcotte is highly intelligent, manipulative and murdered their children to punish her.

The review board is expected to render a decision within the next few weeks.

http://www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNews/entry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10311290

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:04 am

Dans une lettre
Isabelle Gaston se vide le coeur

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Isabel10

«Si aujourd'hui, je suis encore la coupable de son malheur, sera-t-il en mesure de contenir sa frustration? Comment puis-je savoir que sa destruction à mon égard est complétée?»

Craignant pour sa vie, Isabelle Gaston a imploré la Commission d'examen des troubles mentaux de maintenir son ex-conjoint, Guy Turcotte, en détention à l'Institut Pinel, vendredi dernier.

Se décrivant comme «une mère qui n'a plus d'enfants», l'urgentologue a cependant été interrompue dans son plaidoyer, le président de ce tribunal administratif estimant qu'elle ne pouvait «refaire le procès» de l'ancien cardiologue.

«Je vous supplie de vous assurer que monsieur n'est plus une menace pour moi, écrit-elle dans sa lettre aux commissaires, dont Le Journal a obtenu copie. J'ai suffisamment payé jusqu'à maintenant. J'ai encore peur pour moi et le reste de la société. Je veux vivre ma vie en étant en sécurité.»

«Il voulait me punir»

Celle qui a passé dix ans avec Turcotte avant de le laisser pour un ami commun a mis les commissaires en garde: «C'est un être excessivement intelligent et extrêmement habile à manipuler les autres».

«Nous devions tous être parfaits. Notre milieu familial ne devait laisser transparaître aucune faille. Monsieur devenait très frustré si les enfants étaient turbulents. (...) Il perdait facilement patience. Il n'y avait pas de place pour la contestation ou le marchandage au risque de faire fâcher monsieur. (...) Il tolère mal la critique. Son regard change lorsqu'il contient sa frustration.»

«Ma conviction profonde, qui persistera jusqu'au dernier souffle de ma vie, est la suivante: les gestes ont été posés parce que monsieur a été incapable de contenir sa frustration et qu'il voulait me punir.

«Olivier et Anne-Sophie étaient heureux et acceptaient leur nouvelle vie. Nous avons osé aimer une autre personne, ce qui a causé chez monsieur Turcotte l'impression qu'il était moins bon, moins aimable. Soudain, l'image parfaite que monsieur voulait que les autres aient de lui volait en éclat. Il perdait le contrôle qu'il nous imposait tous, depuis toujours. Cette atteinte à son narcissisme nous a été fatale.»

Elle croit que Turcotte est «une bombe» qui peut encore éclater, n'ayant pas eu de traitement en psychothérapie à l'Institut Pinel.

CE QU'ELLE A ÉCRIT...

«Perdre ses enfants, c'est horrible. Savoir qu'ils ont souffert, c'est l'enfer. Savoir qu'ils ont été charcutés et laissés seuls à mourir c'est impardonnable.»

«Quand on me regarde, les gens souffrent en s'imaginant à ma place. Après quelques minutes, chacun retourne à sa réalité. Moi, ma place est dans l'horreur.»

«Me faire du mal, encore et encore, voilà son objectif. Et je suis persuadée que c'est le même aujourd'hui.»

«Je croyais qu'il y aurait justice. Je croyais que nos lois protégeaient la vie. Il n'en est rien. À plusieurs égards, on a oublié mon fils et ma fille.»

«Sans revenir sur le verdict, il demeure clair pour moi que Guy Turcotte était dangereux avant le meurtre de mes enfants et l'est encore aujourd'hui.»

«S'il avait tout dans la vie et qu'il a été incapable d'aller chercher de l'aide, comment fera-t-il maintenant qu'il a tout perdu?»

«JE VEUX VIVRE»

L'ex-conjointe de Guy Turcotte, Isabelle Gaston, s'est dite déçue du traitement que lui a réservé le tribunal administratif.

«Depuis le début but des procédures judiciaires, j'ai assisté sans broncher aux différentes étapes, a-t-elle fait valoir au Journal. J'ai accepté avec difficulté qu'on m'impose m'impose le silence. Je réalise qu'on n'est pas tous égaux devant la loi.»

«Étant celle qui subit une des pires épreuves au monde, j'aurais espéré un peu d'empathie de la part du commissaire (Médard) Saucier. J'espérais qu'on écoute ce que j'avais à dire. J'ai perçu du mépris à mon égard et cela dès le début de nos échanges.»

Elle avait aussi préparé un vidéo de 90 secondes pour les commissaires, mais n'a pu le présenter parce qu'il montrait des images des deux victimes. Les règles de la Commission ne le permettent pas.

«Mon but n'est pas de nuire aux procédures judiciaires. Par contre, même si je dois vivre avec la mort de mes enfants et que je dois vivre avec le verdict, je veux vivre. Une erreur de leur part, pourrait m'être fatale ainsi qu'à d'autres membres de la société.»

http://lejournaldemontreal.canoe.ca/journaldemontreal/actualites/faitsdiversetjudiciaires/archives/2011/11/20111109-043024.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Commission review of Mental Disorders
Guy Turcotte to spend the holidays in prison

CANADA • Anne-Sophie, 3 & Olivier, 5   TURCOTTE ~ Montreal QC - Page 2 Turcot11

November 11, 2011 - TVA News has learned that the hearings of the mental competency review committee in the Guy Turcotte case will resume next January 12-13.

Last week, psychiatrist Pierre Rochette and psychologist Guy Desjardins, who must determine if the former cardiologist is able to return to live in society, claimed he should be detained for one year minimum. According to them, the state of Guy Turcotte suggests it would be "imprudent" to release him.

The former cardiologist Guy Turcotte was found not criminally responsible for killing his two children on July 5.

http://tvanouvelles.ca/lcn/judiciaire/archives/2011/11/20111111-162203.html

Back to top Go down

Post by karma Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Guy Turcotte release decision to be announced Tuesday
June 4, 2012

MONTREAL – A decision on whether to release Guy Turcotte, a cardiologist who killed his two young children when he stabbed them a total of 46 times in February 2009, will be made public on Tuesday.

Turcotte, 40, was found criminally not responsible for the deaths of Olivier, 5, and Anne Sophie, 3 by reason of mental disorder last July. He has been a patient at the Philippe Pinel Institute, a psychiatric facility, ever since the verdict.

A five-member panel that includes two psychiatrists, two lawyers and a social worker has been considering the matter of Turcotte’s release since March. They will decide whether to keep Turcotte for at least another year, release him with conditions, or set him free outright.

None of the health professionals who testified during five days of hearings in March could find any discernible mental disorder in Turcotte, or evidence of a serious, foreseeable risk to the public should he be released.

The panel’s decision, to be made public Tuesday at 10 a.m., must be based on the perceived level of risk he poses to public safety.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Turcotte+release+decision+announced+Tuesday/6728942/story.html#ixzz1wvVkORFz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next