Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casey Anthony: Week One Rewind - Hornsby

Go down

Casey Anthony: Week One Rewind - Hornsby Empty Casey Anthony: Week One Rewind - Hornsby

Post by mom_in_il Mon May 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Casey Anthony: Week One Rewind
May 15th, 2011 by Richard Hornsby.

Excerpt:

Week one of the Casey Anthony trial is behind us and, as could be expected, it was not without incident as several notable issues arose.
Jury Selection

After five full days of jury selection, the parties ended Saturday with 12 potential jurors. Some in the media believe this to be a sign that we may actually swear in a jury panel by Monday afternoon; my experience tells me otherwise. As this is the point where the strategy of jury selection really begins.

This is because in Florida, a party can exercise a peremptory strike up until the last second before the jury is sworn in. See Gilliam v. State, 514 So. 2d at 1099 (Fla. 1987) (“Reversible error to deny a defendant his right to challenge a juror any time before the jury is sworn.”). As a result, it has been my experience that lawyers utilize very few peremptory strikes initially and instead wait until the initial petit jury panel is formed before actively using peremptory strikes to strike jurors they initially accepted. This is known as “backstriking”.

READ MORE:
http://blog.richardhornsby.com/2011/05/casey-anthony-a-review-of-week-one/
mom_in_il
mom_in_il
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down