Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA

5 posters

Go down

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA Empty VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA

Post by plaidlined Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:05 am

Child dies after being sent from foster care to her parents, renewing questions about L.A. County's troubled children's services agency

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-adv-child-fatality-20110606,0,2875615.story

plaidlined
Pizza Delivery! Ding Dong!

Back to top Go down

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA Empty Re: VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA

Post by twinkletoes Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:14 am

Toddler Tori Sandoval was released from foster care to her biological parents and died months later, her body bruised. Police and county social workers say the parents ar3
June 6, 2011

The two-page letter landed in the judge's chambers at the Los Angeles County Children's Court last fall, registering "grave concern" for the well-being of 17-month-old Vyctorya Sandoval.

Linda Kontis, co-founder of a foster family agency that contracted with the county to provide care to the girl, complained that the court system hadn't properly considered the risks of returning the saucer-eyed toddler known as Tori to her long-troubled biological parents.

Months after the letter was written, Tori was dead. Healing bruises covered her body, according to a court document that children's services officials filed. A rib was fractured. Blood tests suggested she died thirsty and hungry. For six hours, doctors tried to save her after she was rushed to an emergency room.

No charges have been filed, but police and county social workers say the parents are suspects in the investigation of Tori's death on April 24. She had turned 2 the month before.

Pasadena (Los AHer case has sent fresh shock waves through the county's child protection bureaucracy, still struggling to implement reforms after more than 70 maltreatment deaths over the last three years of children who had been under the system's supervision.

Investigators are awaiting a final autopsy report, and details of Tori's life and health have not been disclosed. But Kontis' letter has called into question whether the court system and the Department of Children and Family Services did all they could to safeguard the girl. Kontis declined to comment.

Kontis' letter was one of two warnings officials received about Tori's welfare in the months before she died, according to sources familiar with the case. A friend of Tori's former foster parents, Jennifer Nichols, said the couple phoned in a report to the children services department after hearing from the girl's relatives that Tori's condition was worsening.

Elise Esparza, a friend of Tori's relatives, said she barely recognized the once-boisterous girl when she saw her the month before she died.

"She was very pale looking and gaunt in the face. I said. 'Something is wrong.'" After Tori's death, Esparza said she was present when the girl's mother described Tori pulling out her own hair and pinching herself.

Despite concerns among those who knew Tori, the court and the county left the girl with her parents, who lived in a Pomona apartment before their daughter died. Social worker visits were ordered, but interviews and records indicate that during the period she was with her parents, Tori's weight dropped from the 50th percentile to below the fifth percentile for children her age.

Jackie Contreras, the county's interim children's services director, said one department worker has been placed on desk duty because of possible lapses in monitoring Tori. Confidentiality rules bar her from discussing the case, she said.

County officials have labored to correct recurring, systemic problems in child protective services. Last year, frustrated county supervisors complained of slow progress before the former children's services director, Trish Ploehn, was ousted.

The county has touted its success in cutting foster care rolls by nearly two-thirds since 1997, to fewer than 20,000 children. Nearly nine of 10 children returned to their parents do not have a substantiated maltreatment incident in the first year. But critics point out that the rate of unsuccessful reunifications has nearly doubled as the county has allowed increasingly troubled families to reunify.

And three years ago a state Blue Ribbon Commission on Children in Foster Care reported that court hearings for foster children average just 10 to 15 minutes, providing children no meaningful voice. The panel's recommendations to reduce court caseloads have been stalled by budget problems.

Kontis wrote that hasty reunification efforts and a poorly conducted court hearing in September potentially put Tori at risk.

"I know that reunification is primary and always work toward that goal. However, there are cases where common sense must prevail and history is relevant," said Kontis' letter, which was written shortly after the September hearing.

A copy was obtained by The Times.

Michael Nash, the presiding judge in Los Angeles Juvenile Court who supervises the commissioner who handled Tori's case, said he received and answered Kontis' letter. But the correspondence is confidential because of state rules, he said.

Tori was removed from her parents after her birth and joined eight older siblings in foster care, according to the letter sent by Kontis, who had access to extensive files on Tori. The family has had 11 referrals to child protective services for alleged domestic violence, child abuse and other issues, according to other sources with access to the family's files.

Jennifer Dalhover, Tori's 35-year-old mother, could not be reached for comment. An attorney representing Joseph Sandoval, 20, Tori's father, who was arrested on a probation charge after the girl's death, did not respond to messages.

The couple had a tempestuous relationship that included allegations of domestic violence and sexual abuse committed by Dalholver against Sandoval when he was a minor, according to Kontis' letter to the court.

More recently, Dalhover obtained a restraining order against Sandoval,
citing domestic violence, Kontis wrote.

Several months before winning custody of Tori, Dalhover and Sandoval dropped out of contact with county social workers and discontinued court-mandated programs meant to prepare them to reunify with the girl, according to Kontis'
account.

In June, they resurfaced in a Pasadena homeless shelter with a newborn child and restarted their efforts to regain their daughter, Kontis wrote. Seventy-seven days later, with their parenting programs still unfinished, they appeared at the September court hearing asking to reunite with Tori, according to Kontis' letter.

"I … have been in many children's courtrooms over the last 20 years, and I have never seen any conducted in the manner in which I witnessed that day," Kontis wrote to the court.

The hearing was closed to the public and the transcript is sealed, as is customary in juvenile cases. State legislation that would open such hearings has been placed on hold until next year, partly because of opposition from the union representing many county social workers.

Kontis was among those who attended Tori's hearing.

According to Kontis' letter, the court commissioner who approved the reunification, Marilyn Mackel, "dominated her courtroom with intimidation and anger, to the point that the attorneys present barely spoke above a whisper with simple answers," Kontis wrote.

The commissioner appeared distracted when one of Tori's siblings spoke, and "reams of concerns and pages of documentation" were not acknowledged, Kontis wrote. Tori's court-appointed attorney, Robert Vasquez, told Kontis that "the history of the family does not matter, the goal is to reunify," she wrote.

Mackel did not respond to an email message or calls to her chambers and the court press office or an interview request left at her home. Leslie Starr Heimov, Vasquez's supervisor at the Children's Law Center of Los Angeles, which represented Tori, said that she was stunned by Kontis' letter and that it mischaracterized Vasquez's analysis of the case. She said Vasquez had discussed Tori's case with Kontis for 30 minutes in the hallway outside the court hearing and had explained why he felt she would be returning to a safe home.

"At the time she was sent home, was there evidence to suggest that she was being hurt by her parents or that she would not be safe in their care?" Heimov asked. "If not, then the law says that she should be returned."

Heimov echoed staffers at the Edelman Children's Court in Monterey Park, where Tori's case was heard, who said Mackel and Vasquez have reputations for being conscientious. Mackel is said to delve deeply into children's
histories for her cases, and Vasquez frequently arrives shortly after dawn to prepare his arguments.

After she was returned to her parents, Tori remained under the oversight of the Department of Children and Family Services until she died and should have received frequent visits from county social workers.

Internal affairs investigators at the children's service agency are looking into whether those mandated assessments were conducted and, if they were, what social workers observed.

Meanwhile, Dalhover, according to interviews with county officials and friends of the family, recently became pregnant with her 11th child.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA Empty Re: VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA

Post by twinkletoes Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:25 am

This is one baby who had a voice. Her own attorney even. Yet, sadly she is dead. Betrayed by her own attorney and the judge, both of whom failed her.

This cannot be blamed on budget cuts. This is ineptitude, stupidity, lack of caring, and for Tori's attorney, a quick buck.

What a beautiful child. What a tragic loss.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:30 am

I hope they put these breeders in prison when they can not reproduce AGAIN. My God, 11 children.

I'm sure they have been receiving state aid. A check for each child. Spit another one out.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by just_a_mom Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:44 am

I wonder what condition the other children are in. This is just wrong.
just_a_mom
just_a_mom

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:54 am

just_a_mom wrote:I wonder what condition the other children are in. This is just wrong.
Probably starved for food and affection as well.

Sexual abuse also.

POS parents.

Dumb ass attorney who eagerly put her in harms way. POS judge who can with impunity sentence these precious little helpless babies to death, or worse.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by plaidlined Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:06 pm

I imagine when the details of the abuse in this case come out, they're going to be horrific.

Here is a comment at the end of the article from someone who is close to the family of the foster parents:

I had the joy of knowing this little girl, as her foster parents who FOUGHT to adopt her are friends of mine. Tori's story needs to be told. Tori was a happy little girl who delighted in her loving home where she was cared for day/night by a family who truly loved her. A community of friends & family surrounded this little girl, she was very adored and loved. She was funny, happy, & a delight to be around. She was always smiling. What keeps me up at night is the thought of what Tori must of gone through. To be removed from a safe home where all her needs were met, to a frightening place with people she didn't know (I don't care if they were biologically related or not, they had NO relationship with her) who OBVIOUSLY, given her demise, treated her in inhumane ways. How scared she must of been, terrifed, and wondering where her REAL mom and dad (the ones who cared and loved her) were. She couldn't understand. She could not know how they were fighting to bring her home. She would only know fear and terror. This child was MURDERED. She was tortured. WHY ARE THE BIOLOGICAL PARENTS NOT BEING BROUGHT UP ON MURDER CHARGES? I want justice for the sweet girl who used to lie in my arms, and drift off to sleep knowing she was safe and loved. I WANT HER BACK. That is not going to happen. So the best I can do for her is shed light on this issue in the hope that SOMEONE IS LISTENING.

And another comment from a reader who shares my feelings:

The judge and county workers should be held accountable as accessories to murder.

Last edited by plaidlined on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

plaidlined

Back to top Go down

Post by plaidlined Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:29 pm

I hope everyone responsible for "reunifying" this child with her parents is haunted every day for the rest of their lives by the fact that she did know joy in her brief lifetime only to have it stolen away from her in the most unimaginable and terrifying way by their thoughtless actions.

plaidlined

Back to top Go down

Post by mermaid55 Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:20 pm

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA Tori2j10VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA Tori310
mermaid55
mermaid55

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:48 am

plaidlined wrote:I imagine when the details of the abuse in this case come out, they're going to be horrific.

Here is a comment at the end of the article from someone who is close to the family of the foster parents:

I had the joy of knowing this little girl, as her foster parents who FOUGHT to adopt her are friends of mine. Tori's story needs to be told. Tori was a happy little girl who delighted in her loving home where she was cared for day/night by a family who truly loved her. A community of friends & family surrounded this little girl, she was very adored and loved. She was funny, happy, & a delight to be around. She was always smiling. What keeps me up at night is the thought of what Tori must of gone through. To be removed from a safe home where all her needs were met, to a frightening place with people she didn't know (I don't care if they were biologically related or not, they had NO relationship with her) who OBVIOUSLY, given her demise, treated her in inhumane ways. How scared she must of been, terrifed, and wondering where her REAL mom and dad (the ones who cared and loved her) were. She couldn't understand. She could not know how they were fighting to bring her home. She would only know fear and terror. This child was MURDERED. She was tortured. WHY ARE THE BIOLOGICAL PARENTS NOT BEING BROUGHT UP ON MURDER CHARGES? I want justice for the sweet girl who used to lie in my arms, and drift off to sleep knowing she was safe and loved. I WANT HER BACK. That is not going to happen. So the best I can do for her is shed light on this issue in the hope that SOMEONE IS LISTENING.

And another comment from a reader who shares my feelings:

The judge and county workers should be held accountable as accessories to murder.

Thank you so much for updating us.

I'm glad this precious little girl had foster parents who loved and adored her. As hard as this is for them, at least they know they gave her the only happy times in her short life.

My heart aches for them.

I agree that the judge and country workers she be brought up on charges. Add her piss poor attorney to that list.

Sadly, judges can screw up all they want, whether for incompetence, being misled, being bribed, or just inadequacy. They all have sovereign immunity and can't be charged with anything.

Precious little babies like Tori pay the price.

Please extend my heartfelt sympathy to the foster parents, who were the real parents in my book.

Giving birth does not a mother make, as is so obvious with this breeder.

I hope you keep us in the loop. Thanks. VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA 616541
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:51 am

plaidlined wrote:I hope everyone responsible for "reunifying" this child with her parents is haunted every day for the rest of their lives by the fact that she did know joy in her brief lifetime only to have it stolen away from her in the most unimaginable and terrifying way by their thoughtless actions.

I doubt the scumbags will even give it a second thought. Had they cared, Tori would not be dead. IMO.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 am

The parents of a 2-year old Pomona girl have been charged with murder in her death last year.

Vyctorya Sandoval died April 24, just after turning 2-years old.

Pomona police officers were dispatched about 9:15 p.m. April 23 to the 600 block of N. Park Avenue for a child not breathing.
Officers also found Vyctorya without a heartbeat as well.

CPR was performed on the girl before she was taken to Pomona Valley Medical Center.

Vyctorya was later transported to Loma Linda Children's Hospital, where she was pronounced dead early the next morning.

Her parents Jennifer Dalhover, 36, and Joseph Sandoval, 21, appeared in court Friday and were ordered held in lieu of $1-million bail.

They are due back in court March 21.

Tori was removed from her parents after her birth and joined eight older siblings in foster care.

The family had 11 referrals to child protective services for alleged domestic violence, child abuse and other issues, according to other sources with access to the family's files.

But a judge reunited Tori with her parents in late 2010.
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:59 am

Another sad, sad case of a baby dying because an egotistical judge didn't give a damn.

JMO.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Parents 'murdered daughter, 2, who had just been returned to them from foster care'

By Rachel Quigley and Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 5:57 AM on 3rd March 2012

The
parents of a toddler who died from malnutrition months after being
released from foster care have been charged with her murder.

Jennifer
Dalhover, 36, and Joseph Sandoval, 21, from Los Angeles, appeared in
court today and were held in lieu of $1-million bail. The parents did
not enter pleas and are scheduled to return to court March 21.

Vyctorya Sandoval died months after she was taken out of foster care and returned to her biological parents last April.

When she died, bruises covered her body, a rib was fractured and blood tests suggested she died thirsty and hungry.

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA Article-2109617-12024324000005DC-97_468x398
Concerns:
The death of Vyctorya Sandoval last April raised concerns about Los
Angeles' County's Department of Children and Family Services, which
pushed to reunify the girl with her parents despite a long history of
mistreatment

'The arrests bring a general sense of relief for
everyone who knew and loved Tori,' said Elise Esparza, a friend of
Tori's relatives, told the LA Times. 'You know, it felt at times like
they were going to get away with it. It was just so frustrating to be
waiting for this.'

According to the LA Times, only months before
her April 24 death, a two-page letter was given to the judge's chambers
at the Los Angeles County Children's Court, registering 'grave concern'
for the well-being of the toddler, who was known as Tori.

Linda
Kontis, co-founder of a foster family agency that contracted with the
county to provide care to the girl, complained that the court system
hadn't properly considered the risks of returning Tori to her parents.

Ms
Kontis' letter was one of two warnings officials received about the
welfare of the child in the months before she died, though details of
her life and health have yet to be disclosed.

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA Article-2109617-12024320000005DC-765_468x309
Charged: Jennifer Dalhover and Joseph Sandoval have been charged with murdering their daughter last year

A
friend of Tori's former foster parents, Jennifer Nichols, said the
couple phoned in a report to the children services department after
hearing from the girl's relatives that Tori's condition was worsening.

According
to the LA Times, Esparza said she barely recognized the once-boisterous
toddler when she saw her the month before she died.

She noticed that she was very pale and gaunt looking and knew that 'something was wrong'.

She
also said she was present when the toddler's mother allegedly described
how Tori used to pull out her own hair and pinch herself.

Despite
the warnings, the court and the county allowed the two-year-old to be
returned to her parents and remained there, even though social workers
who visited the family in their Pomona apartment noted that her weight
dropped from the fiftieth percentile to below the fifth percentile for
children her age.

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA Article-1394920-0C713EBD00000578-100_468x286
In memory: The former foster parents held a memorial for Tori last year

Tori's
case once again placed the spotlight on the county's child protection
bureaucracy, who have come under fire after more than 70 maltreatment
deaths over the last three years of children who had been under the
system's supervision.

Tori was removed from her parents after her
birth and joined eight older siblings in foster care, according to the
letter sent by Ms Kontis.

The family are said to have had 11
referrals to child protective services for alleged domestic violence,
child abuse and other issues, according to other sources with access to
the family's files.

The couple had a tempestuous relationship
that included allegations of domestic violence and sexual abuse
committed by Dalholver against Sandoval when he was a minor, according
to Ms Kontis' letter to the court.

Dalhover also obtained a restraining order against Sandoval, citing domestic violence, Ms Kontis wrote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2109617/Toddler-2-dies-months-returned-natural-parents-foster-care.html#ixzz1o3sFVj4T
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:17 am

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tori Sandoval

Sometimes in my reporter duties, I'm assigned stories that leave me
at a total loss. My brain wants to make order or sense of what I'm
covering... but it can't. This week brought one of those stories. The
kind that makes me come home at the end of the day and hug my kids
tighter and longer than usual. Only this time, doing that left me
feeling MORE empty. Empty for a little girl who had a chance at that
kind of mommy-love but was denied it. Empty for the foster parents who
gave that kind of love with such authenticity.

The story is about Tori Sandoval.

Arraignment is scheduled next week for a couple arrested in
connection with the death of their 2 year old daughter, Tori. A
beautiful, bright-eyed, precious toddler. Tori was taken away from her
biological parents, 36 year old Jennifer Dalhover and 21 year old Joseph
Sandoval, when she was just an infant. The couple has ELEVEN children.
Many of those children have been removed from the home over the years
because of the couple's history with domestic violence and sexual abuse.

At one point during Tori's journey through the foster care system,
she landed in the home of Terry and Kelli Sedgewick. It was love. And
what's not to love? Tori was a sweet & smiley baby. She had the
requisite chubby little hands & cheeks, and delighted in
playing peek-a-boo. The Sedgewick's biological son fell in love with his
new little sister too. The family moved to adopt her.

Despite the pleas and warnings from the Sedgewick's and an
independent fostering agency, Tori was returned to her biological
parents. Less than a year later, she was dead. The story is an agonizing
reminder of just how flawed such systems can be. When reunification and
PARENTAL rights seem to take priority over the protection of
innocents, common sense and basic humanity. Kelli Sedgewick has started a
website, Tori's Torch to help bring attention to their story, and hopefully bring changes to the foster care system.

Take a moment to watch the video at the top of this blog post. It's a
compilation of images from Tori's time with the Sedgewick family. What
strikes me most about this video is not Tori~ it's Kelli. If you are a
mom or dad, I know you will look and see what I saw... a deep,
indescribable JOY in the foster mom's eyes. The courts may have never
given Tori fully to the Sedgewicks, but Kelli was clearly that child's
mommy. Makes you ache for her loss and admire the family's strength.

This story troubles me on another level. How are we to hope that decent, loving, amazing
people like the Sedgewicks will continue to open their hearts and homes
to children enduring horrific conditions? Knowing those children will
likely be sent BACK into such conditions? What will be left with? The
segement of "parents" in the foster system who are themselves abusive
and simply sign up for the check that comes along with the kid? I hope
not. I hope this story serves to change the system, and not the
willingness of GOOD people to take that emotional risk.

VYCTORYA SANDOVAL - 2 yo (4/2011) - Los Angeles CA 616_1331761708

http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/chrislane.html?feed=418926&article=9899020#ixzz1pL9Ve2Iz
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down