Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1 CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON

Go down

CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1  CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON Empty CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1 CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON

Post by twinkletoes Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:20 am

The other side of the killer mom's husband

November 14, 2010 5:01pm CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1  CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON Webcampione Leo Campione. (TRACY McLAUGHLIN PHOTO)
BARRIE — “Daddy, daddy!” cried little Serena Campione, her chubby little arms raised in the air, running with glee when she spotted her father.

Leo Campione quickly wiped the telltale tears from his eyes and smiled broadly as he raised his little daughter in the air and then hugged her tightly.

“My goodness, you’re getting bigger!” Leo is quoted as saying in family court records. “You’re so beautiful.”

It was the first time in over a month since the 33-year-old Toronto father had seen his children.

And it was the last time he would see them alive. Two weeks later they would be dead, drowned by their mother, Elaine Campione.The jury is now deciding the mother’s fate on two charges of first-degree murder.

While the jurors heard Elaine’s allegations that her husband was a wife-beater, they never heard of his warmer side and his desperate attempts to get his children back.

In family court records, court affidavits and interviews a kinder softer Leo emerges.

He hated to have to visit Serena, 3, and her sister Sophia, 1, at the Simcoe/Muskoka Supervised Access Centre in Barrie.

But it was the only place his estranged wife would allow him to visit them.

Ever since he was charged with punching her and slapping Serena a year earlier, Leo despondently submitted to supervised visits. He pleaded with her to allow them to take place in the loving surroundings of his parents’ home in Woodbridge where the girls’ “nona” and “papa” would be nearby, but Elaine flatly refused.

Weeks earlier, she had filed an affidavit with the court seeking sole custody and a ban on unsupervised visits.

“It is in the best interests of the children that they remain in my care,” the affidavit states not long before she killed the girls.Instead, the one hour visits took place in this stark setting under the watchful eye of a supervisor who sat at her desk jotting notes about everything she saw — even following Leo to watch him take the girls to the toilet.

Leo brought a jar of bubbles and started blowing them while his tiny daughters squealed with delight as they chased them.

Next he made them wash their hands and unpacked a lunch of homemade pasta that his mother made. Sometimes, his parents would visit, too, and play Sicilian folk music while they danced with the little girls, but the good-byes always made his mom so sad.

After lunch Serena snuggled on his lap while she colored a picture. All too soon the bittersweet visit was over, and tears blurred Leo’s vision as he hugged them.

“I love you both so much,” he said, as his ex-wife, Elaine, showed up to take the girls away.

The petite, overly thin woman rarely smiled. Elaine handed Leo an outfit he had given to Serena on their last visit at the facility. “She doesn’t want it,” Elaine said coolly.

“Can you come, too, daddy?” Serena asked. “No, not today, but I’ll see you soon,” he said, discreetly wiping away tears again.

“Mr. Campione is very attentive to his children’s needs,” wrote staff supervisor Shelley St. Amant.

“Several times he is heard telling them that he loves them ... he sets age appropriate limits with respect to play, safety and hygiene.”

Two weeks later, police officers showed up at his door at 7 a.m. to tell him and his parents the children were dead. In disbelief, they broke down in tears. But their anguish mixed with anger and horror seconds later, when they learned the girls had been murdered by their mother.

As they wept, white-clad forensic officers swarmed through the mother’s apartment in Barrie, searching for clues to how the children died. Officers took the coroner down a hallway to the mother’s bedroom where he was greeted with a macabre scene — two little girls, looking tiny in their mother’s big bed, are propped on the pillow and posed holding hands with a blue rosary draped over their fingers.

“Hello!” yelled Sgt. Tom Sinclair with a faint hope that it would jar the children awake.

But their ashen color, darkened purple lips and the cloudy colour of their eyes made it obvious that they had been dead for a long time. The smell of decomposition wafted in the air.

“It’s a smell I won’t ever forget,” Sinclair said later.

The scene was like something out of Twilight Zone.

Their hair was neatly combed and curled. Baby Sophia was dressed in her Tinker Bell pajamas, Serena in a mauve princess nightgown. They were adorned with gold necklaces and earrings and neatly tucked under the covers with a big stuffed bunny next to them. A coroner wearing blue gloves gently lifted the blankets off to reveal their chubby legs curled froggy-style. He lifted their pajamas to reveal round little tummies, now purplish from death.

In the living room, the mother was cool and composed after calling police to tell them, “my children are dead in my bed.”

She sat curled up on a love seat as a bewildered female officer interviewed her.

“I was in shock,” said Const. Linda Young. “I thought the mother would be in hysterics — but she was calm. She kept talking, she kept blaming her husband. She was saying he beat her and that it was all his fault.”

Although she was not drowsy, Elaine said she swallowed 56 clonazepam tablets, so out of caution she was brought to hospital. In the hospital she dozed a bit in the bed while waiting for doctors to examine her.

They found nothing wrong and released her back into police custody and she was charged with the first-degree murders of her toddlers.

But by the time she was brought to the police interview room for questioning, she claimed she couldn’t remember how her children died.

“I woke up beside them and their lips were purple,” she said calmly. “They were stiff ... I don’t know why.” She said she remembered bathing Sophia first and that Serena didn’t want her bath and started running from her.

Perhaps Elaine never expected that police would find the home video that she created and left in her bedroom for her husband to find. But they did.

The video, like a horror movie without music, pans down her apartment hallway toward a doorway and the sound of water running in a bathtub. The camera moves in, showing Sophia, chubby and naked as she slaps at the bubbles in her bath. Mother’s voice can be heard singing “twinkle twinkle little star” and baby smiles, her big, trusting blue eyes look up at her mama.

Click, the camera shuts off, then on again to a scene of Serena, coloring as she sits on the bedroom floor.

“Serena, who luvs ya?” asks mom. “How much do you love me?” she asks.

Click. The camera shuts off again.

Forty-seven minutes later, the camera was turned on again. By then, the children were dead, prettily dressed after their bath, and propped in mom’s bed. Elaine was in front of the camera, alone.

“There, are you happy now? ... The children are gone ... How does that make you feel, Leo?”

She was teary, but there was no hint of desperation in her voice. The tone is angry, vindictive, spiteful.

Her rant continued as she told her husband that she was “a perfect wife,” that he ignored and abused her and refused to allow her to take the children and move to her hometown in New Brunswick.The video shuts off, and was turned on again at 8:19 a.m. the next morning, with Elaine in front of the camera again.

“I took a bunch of pills but they didn’t work,” she says with a sniff, then continues on with the same rant. “You beat me ... I hate you ... you can take your engagement ring and stick it where the sun don’t shine.”

As a 12-member jury watched the video, a dead silence filled the courtroom.

Troubled as the jurors clearly were, nothing could have prepared them for the police video that played next, showing the two tiny girls propped on the pillow like dolls. A close-up of Sophia’s face shows four lines on her forehead that match the pattern of the rubber mat in the bath.

The police video pans to the girls’ bedroom, where pretty clothes and tiny buckle shoes are laid out with a handwritten note stating this is what they should be buried in.

In court, Elaine broke down, whaling loudly as she looked at the large screen that showed her decomposing children. Jurors watched the screen through blurred eyes.

It was enough. It was too much, and the judge sent everyone home for the day.

Elaine’s lawyer pleaded with the jury to find that she was so mentally distressed out of fear and terror of her abusive husband, that she became delusional, and believed the only place where she and the children would be safe was in heaven.

While Crown Enno Meijers accepted that Elaine was “probably” abused at the hands of her husband, the jury never heard from Leo. Never heard about the bittersweet visits at the access centre.

Never heard how he and his parents pined night and day for his little girls.

The jury never heard how he went into debt, hiring lawyers to try to convince the judge, the CAS, and anybody else who would listen, that the children were not safe with their mother.

And the jury never heard how Leo eagerly participated in counselling at the Vitanova Foundation in Woodbridge after he was charged with domestic assault.

“The counselling sessions have focused on Mr. Campione being better able to control and manage his emotions, in particular as they revolve around his frustration over his wife’s alleged obsessive jealousy and her mistrust of him,” stated one report by Vitanova executive director Franca Carella, months before the children were murdered.

“Mr. Campione is a caring and loving husband and father ... being separated from his family has been very difficult for him and he longs for the day he will be reunited with them.”

After Elaine was charged with murder, the charges against Leo were dropped, and since that day he never returned to court to watch the trial unfold.

“I don’t want to see her face. I don’t want to hear her voice. Not ever again.”He said he feels no relief that the trial is finally over.

“I’m trapped in pain,” he said in an earlier interview. He said he feels bitter toward the Children’s Aid Society and the courts that prevented him from protecting his children.

“I can’t forget that last visit,” he said, almost in a whisper.

“My little Serena was begging me to come home. She was saying ‘daddy, daddy’ come home.’

“But I couldn’t come home. It broke my heart.”
twinkletoes
twinkletoes
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1  CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON Empty Re: CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1 CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON

Post by twinkletoes Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:12 am

CANADA

She drowned them, but is she guilty?

CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1  CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON 3816002
Leo Campione at the funeral for his two daughters in 2006. Their mother, Elaine, is on trial for their deaths.

Elaine Campione appears haunted in the photograph. Her eyes, dark and sad, are puffy and framed by black circles. Her smile is weak, forced. A gold crucifix dangles from her neck.

Ms. Campione's left arm is wrapped around her three-year-old daughter, Serena. Serena does not look like her mother. Not in the photograph. Her eyes are dancing. She is smiling, and wearing a plastic yellow sand pail as a hat.

Her mother's right arm is supporting her baby sister, Sophia. Sophia has the same dark eyes as her mother, only hers, too, are full of light. Sophia has chubby little arms and the wispy blond hair of a baby. The two little girls are the perfect innocents.

On Oct. 2, 2006, their mother drowned them in the bathtub of her apartment in Barrie, Ont. Ms. Campione dressed them in their pajamas the next day, wove rosary beads through their tiny, lifeless fingers, clasped their hands together and tucked them into her bed before finally calling police on the morning of Oct. 4.

Ms. Campione was charged with two counts of first-degree murder. For the past two months a court in Barrie has listened as two competing narratives emerged around who, and what, Elaine Campione really was.

Her lawyer, Mary Cremer, told the jury her client was a caring mother who doted on her children even as she struggled with mental illness.

The Crown painted her as a calculated killer, a woman so fueled by hate for her estranged husband that she was willing to murder her own kids. The 35-year-old does not dispute her actions. She admits to holding the girls underwater until the last air bubbles escaped from their lips. At issue then in an emotional case, which has riveted a bustling bedroom community about an hour north of Toronto, is Ms. Campione's mental state: Whether she was suffering from a mental disorder, experienced a clear break from reality, and whether she can be held criminally responsible for her horrific crimes.

A sequestered jury has been locked in deliberations for several days, and retired last night without a verdict. They will resume this morning. Their task is unenviable.

Ample testimony of the killer's erratic behaviour was heard in court; about how Ms. Campione was hospitalized in a psychiatric ward three times in the year prior to the killings; how she attempted suicide; how she forbid her daughter, Serena, from touching anything red -- because it symbolized blood; how she thought she was being followed by men who wanted to kill her and how, after being discharged from the psych ward on one occasion, she ran about her in-laws house babbling about aliens.

Her lawyer says the evidence shows a woman who was unraveling fast. That she was already broken mentally, and at the same time terrified of losing custody of her kids to her estranged husband--an abusive man she feared -- in an increasingly messy family court battle.

Leo Campione was pushing to obtain his wife's hospital records. Off medication, beyond supervised care and feeling cornered, a complete psychotic episode ensued where -- or so the defence contends -- the act of murdering her children was viewed by Ms. Campione as an act of grace, a way of saving her precious babies.

The Crown believes otherwise. The photograph of the haunted-looking Elaine Campione is not the only visual aid the jury has been handed to consider. There is a home video, shot by Ms. Campione, from the night of the killings. It shows Sophia, her baby girl, smiling, laughing, and playfully splashing about in the tub while her mother sings "twinkle, twinkle little star."

The camera is then turned off. An hour later, the video resumes. It is Ms. Campione, spewing an angry tirade at her husband, telling him their children are dead.

"Are you happy now," she says. "You can visit them in their caskets." There is a cold and institutional feel to the courthouse in Barrie. It is a grim place, and with their daughter's fate hanging in the balance -- and their precious granddaughters murdered by her hand-- Ms. Campione's parents have sat quietly in the hallway while the jury deliberates.

Theirs is a solemn vigil. During the wait, a man pushing a stroller happened by. He stopped next to them. They waved and smiled at the squirming child inside.

It is impossible not to feel the heartbreak in this awful script, not to see how lives get ripped apart by a crime too horrible to contemplate.

The tot in that stroller looked to be about three. Serena, with her big sweet eyes, and bubbly smile, was the same age when her mother drowned her in a bathtub.

It was in their apartment on Coulter Street, just off Highway 400, a busy artery where life -- in all its happy normalcy -- just keeps on rushing by.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1  CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON Empty CANADA • Serena,3 - Sophia,1 CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON

Post by twinkletoes Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:14 am

Dad expresses grief over murdered daughters

Wednesday November 17, 2010 8.34PM

BARRIE — The father and grandparents of two little girls who were murdered by their mother were too heartbroken to give victim impact statements in court, said a crown attorney.

“They are still reeling at the loss of the two children,” added Enno Meijers. “Their hearts are aching.”

Leo Campione and his family were invited to come to court to express their grief at the loss of Serena, 3 and Sophia, 1, who were drowned in the bathtub by their mother on Oct. 2, 2006.

Their mother, Elaine Campione, 35, was found guilty by a jury and sentenced Monday to life in prison — with no parole for 25 years — for two counts of first-degree murder.

The jury heard how she held each child’s head under the water for at least two minutes.

“The images of their last moments will haunt me forever,” the murdered girl’s father, Leo Campione, wrote in his victim impact statement.

The statements from Leo Campione and his parents were read aloud in court by Crown Attorney Jennifer Armenise.

“Serena and Sophia were my life ... I miss the times I would come home from work and see them run to the door with their hands in the air calling ‘Daddy, daddy,’ wrote Campione. “Nothing brought peace like their loving embrace ... I live my life knowing one day I will be with them.”

The children’s grandparents, Diego and Anna Campione, wrote that although four years passed, the pain of their loss has not subsided. “Their mere presence lit up a room, their joyous attitude lit up our hearts,” wrote the grandparents. “Our hearts are broken, our lives are shattered.”

Elaine Campione videotaped each child in their last seconds of life. The video shows baby Sophia splashing in the tub and is suddenly shut off.

The video is turned on briefly to show Serena colouring, then shut off again. Suddenly the video is turned on again to show a tearful but spiteful mother informing her husband that the children are dead.

“The children are in heaven now,” she says. “Are you happy now? ... How does it make you feel?”
She then continued her rant the next day — Oct. 3, 2006.

Throughout her rant, she constantly berates her ex-husband, calling him a wife abuser and a mafia member.

Her defence lawyer, Mary Cremer, told the jury that Leo’s abusiveness caused Elaine Campione so much terror that she became delusional and psychotic and was driven to kill her children to protect them from him.

In court Wednesday, the Crown noted the anguish these constant accusations have been for Leo.

In a separate interview, Leo Campione told the Toronto Sun he was not able to go to court to see the woman who killed his children. “I can’t look at her,” he said.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1  CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON Empty Re: CANADA • Serena, 3 - Sophia, 1 CAMPIONE ~ Barrie ON

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down