Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MIA CAITO - 3 yo (2012)/ Convicted: Mother's BF: Julian L. Gates - Belleville IL

5 posters

Go down

MIA CAITO - 3 yo (2012)/ Convicted: Mother's BF: Julian L. Gates - Belleville IL  Empty MIA CAITO - 3 yo (2012)/ Convicted: Mother's BF: Julian L. Gates - Belleville IL

Post by mom_in_il Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:02 am

Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012
'One of the most heinous things': Mother's boyfriend accused of fatally beating 3-year-old girl
BY ELIZABETH DONALD - News-Democrat

Mia Caito's life was cut short Friday by a beating deputies describe as "heinous" as they charged her mother's boyfriend, Julian L. Gates, with her murder.

Relatives called 911 at 6:43 p.m. Friday when they arrived at an apartment near Belleville and found Mia unresponsive and not breathing. Before an ambulance could arrive, they had left to take Mia to Memorial Hospital in Belleville.

While St. Clair County deputies were at the scene, they were informed that Mia was dead. According to Sgt. Michael Hundelt, they believe she was dead before she got to the hospital.

The mother was at work when Mia died, and family members went to get her and bring her to the hospital, he said.

Mia was covered "head to toe" with bruises, Hundelt said.

"In 20-plus years of law enforcement, this is one of the most heinous things we've seen," he said.

Less than 24 hours later, St. Clair County charged Gates, 22, of 2615 West Blvd., Apt. 4, near Belleville with first-degree murder. Gates was Mia's mother's boyfriend, who lived with them and had been responsible for the girl Friday night while her mother was at work.

Hundelt said Gates had left the home after the relatives left and before police arrived, but was found walking about half a block away toward a gas station. He remains in custody, with bail set at $2 million.

The autopsy took place Saturday, but Hundelt said they could not release whether Mia had been the subject of repeated beatings.

He could not say whether any of the family members were present during the alleged beating, or whether any further charges would be pressed. However, he said they had interviewed all the family members and they were cooperating. Gates' sister was on the 911 call summoning an ambulance, he said.

Hundelt said the investigating officers had worked nearly 24 straight hours on this case.

"I want to thank them for trying to bring justice for this little girl," he said. "When you see a 3-year-old victim like this that obviously has lived through such a traumatic three years of her life ... it really makes you sad."

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/29/2036524/one-of-the-most-heinous-things.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited by mom_in_il on Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
mom_in_il
mom_in_il
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down

MIA CAITO - 3 yo (2012)/ Convicted: Mother's BF: Julian L. Gates - Belleville IL  Empty Re: MIA CAITO - 3 yo (2012)/ Convicted: Mother's BF: Julian L. Gates - Belleville IL

Post by babyjustice Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Poor sweet baby...at least she is with the angels now. I hope the murderer gets the max in jail and if any others were involved with knowledge of the abuse that they are prosecuted as well. I'm so sick of these POS boyfriends beating their girlfriend's babies to death. When is this ever going to stop?

babyjustice
Supreme Commander of the Universe

Back to top Go down

MIA CAITO - 3 yo (2012)/ Convicted: Mother's BF: Julian L. Gates - Belleville IL  Empty Re: MIA CAITO - 3 yo (2012)/ Convicted: Mother's BF: Julian L. Gates - Belleville IL

Post by mom_in_il Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Monday, Jan. 30, 2012
Accused killer pleads not guilty in toddler's beating death
BY BETH HUNDSDORFER - News-Democrat

The man accused of the beating death of a 3-year-old last week pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges this morning.

Julian L. Gates, 22, of 1029 Brookshire Ct. near Belleville, appeared via video from St. Clair County Jail where he is being held in lieu of $2 million bail. Associate Judge Julie Keehner Katz. Katz accepted the plea and appointed the public defender's officer to represent Gates.

Gates' girlfriend's daughter, Mia Caito, died Friday at Memorial Hospital in Belleville. Investigators said Mia was covered "head to toe" with bruises.

The child's mother was at work when Mia died.

"We continue to investigate the case," said St. Clair County Sheriff's Sgt. Mike Hundelt. "The case is still open and other charges are possible."

Return to bnd.com and get the Tuesday News-Democrat for more on this story.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/30/2037756/accused-killer-pleads-not-guilty.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook#storylink=cpy
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:08 pm

Father of a 3-year-old girl beaten to death talks to News 4.

by Maggie Crane

Posted on January 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Updated yesterday at 10:33 PM

911: Neighbors could have saved Caito

(KMOV) -- An investigator described the abuse of Mia Caito as the worst he has ever seen. Julian Gates, 22, is charged with the girl's murder, and police say more charges could follow through the course of their investigation.

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services is investigating allegations of abuse against Gates and allegations of neglect against Mia's mother. DCFS Spokesman Kendall Marlowe says the department has not had any previous cases involving the couple. DCFS took custody of Mia's two older brothers and placed them with relatives until the investigation is over.

"I loved her," Larry Caito, Mia's dad, said. "I loved how she smiled. She used to have, like, when she smiled she had the biggest smile - so friggin' big."

Caito didn't get to say goodbye to his daughter Mia. The 3-year-old was at her mother's home when she was beaten so badly, her body gave in to the abuse. Police say Julian Gates did it while babysitting Mia, his girlfriend's daughter.

"My sister had called me and told me that she had already passed," Caito said.

Neighbors told News 4 that they heard Gates screaming at the girl and beating her again and again. Police say Mia's entire body was covered in bruises. The Belleville News Democrat reports that Mia's injuries were in various stages of healing and that the coroner says abuse happened over time. Larry says the person who did this to his little girl -- and anyone who knew about it -- should be punished.

"If she knew abuse was going on and she let it continue, yeah, she should be charged," Caito said. "If she saw bruises on her and she didn't stop him, then yeah."

"They need to make sure that [Gates] gets full punishment and he needs to suffer," Jennifer Williamson, Mia's aunt, said. "That little girl did not need to suffer. She did not deserve that."

"They're nothing. They're nobodies," Caito said. "I don't see how anyone could do that."

A memorial fund is set up for Mia Caito to help pay funeral and burial costs. Donations can be made under the "Mia Caito Memorial Fund" at any U.S. Bank location.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Father-of-a-3-year-old-girl-beaten-to-death-talks-to-News-4-138374909.html
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2012
'Who could do this to such a smart, beautiful girl?' Death of 'little diva' saddens foster family
BY BETH HUNDSDORFER - News-Democrat

Mia Caito was only a toddler, but she was the Robertson's family's "little diva."

Shannon Robertson fixed her hair, outfitted her with a full wardrobe, potty-trained her and snuck out with her for Happy Meals.

Passia and Pebbles, Robertson's teen daughters, taught her pop songs and dance moves. Passia protected Mia from trouble. Mia called her "My Passia" and cried when Passia, 17, was dropped off for school.

Pebbles, 16, picked at and argued with Mia, just like a sister.

She was bossy. Mia would order Pierson, Robert's 12-year-old son, to clean his room.

She helped Shannon Robertson get the other three up for school.

Mia cried "Don't leave me!" when Andrew Robertson, Shannon's husband, left to work for the Union Pacific Railroad, where he was an engineer. The two shared big breakfasts of biscuits and bacon.

This wasn't Mia Caito's biological family. This was the family who she lived since she was just over a year old until March.

On Friday night, the Robertsons got the news. Their little diva was at the hospital dead and covered in bruises.

The Robertson were family friends with Brandy Johnson, Mia's biological mother. She couldn't be reached for comment.

In August of 2009, Johnson, then a 22-year-old mother of three, was overwhelmed, said Andrew and Shannon Robertson, and needed someone to look after Mia.

"I just loved that baby," Shannon Robertson said. "We all just fell in love with her."

The Robertsons took her in, assuming financial responsibility for Mia. Mia, bright and inquisitive, fell right into family life with the Robertsons.

"It was a welcome change, having her around. It was ideal," Shannon Robertson said. "She was just meant to be here with us -- to be a part of our family."

Shannon Robertson invited Mia's biological brothers, Xavier and Anthony, over so they could stay connected.

It was less than a year before Shannon Robertson petitioned for guardianship so she could take Mia to the doctor for her immunizations or in case of an emergency.

"We wanted to put her on our health insurance, but we needed to adopt her to do that," Shannon Robertson said. "We were willing, but. ..."

A few months later, Johnson wanted Mia back.

The judge told the Robertsons that she was returning Mia to her mother, but would give them a little more time to allow Mia to bond with Johnson, starting with weekend visits.

"I told her I may not be blood-related to this family, but I am related to Mia," Shannon Robertson said. "We are her family, her mother and father, sisters and brother and grandparents."

The judge returned Mia to Johnson in February.

LaSaundra and Michael Palmer, Johnson's aunt who lives in Arnold, Mo., got Mia in February. The Palmers kept Mia before, when she was a 6-month-old infant until just before she went to the Robertsons.

"She was beautiful -- full of life," LaSaundra Palmer said. "She could find a friend anywhere, didn't matter who or how old there were."

Mia stayed with the Palmers until after her third birthday in July when Johnson picked her up. The Palmers haven't seen her since.

Shannon Robertson worried about Mia -- but not about her safety.

"I worried about her not having things. I worried she might not have nice things or her hair might not be done, but I didn't think anything like this would happen," she said.

Mia lived in an apartment less than two miles from the Robertson's Shiloh home with her mother and Julian Gates, the man who is charged with beating her to death.

"I hope that he repents for whatever he did. I can't judge him. Only God can judge him," Shannon Robertson said. "If he repents, God will forgive him and so should I."

Andrew Robertson admired his wife's faith, but he isn't there. He's angry. He's disgusted.

"Who could do this to such a smart, beautiful girl," Andrew Robertson said.

The Robertsons went to the hospital Friday night when a friend of the family called and told them what had happened. Shannon Robertson said she prayed as she drove there that it wasn't true.

She sat beside Johnson in the hospital waiting room as social workers gave her the news that Mia died from her injuries.

"They told her that they were sorry for her loss," Shannon Robertson said.

Shannon Robertson hopes she will get to fix Mia's hair for the funeral.
Contact reporter Beth Hundsdorfer at bhundsdorfer@bnd.com or 239-2570.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2012/01/31/2038505/death-of-little-diva-saddens-family.html#storylink=cpy
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by flash0115 Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm

what about her "mother"? SHE left the child with the monster to be murdered. the child had no choice and no chance.

flash0115
Local Celebrity (no autographs, please)

Job/hobbies : Pretending to maintain my sanity

Back to top Go down

Post by babyjustice Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 pm

The mother definately needs to be arrested and prosecuted. Please do it and soon.

babyjustice

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm

911: Neighbors could have saved Caito

KMOV.com
Posted on January 30, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Updated Monday, Jan 30 at 10:23 PM

(KMOV) – Three-year-old Mia Caito was beaten to death Friday night, while neighbors say they heard the whole thing. Police say 22-year-old Julian Gates of Belleville was babysitting Caito when he allegedly beat the child. Neighbors said they didn’t intercede because they feared for their life.

The St. Clair County 911 Center says if a neighbor would have called while the beating was taking place, there would be a good chance that paramedics could have saved her life.

It wasn’t until the suspect’s sister came home hours later and found Caito lying unconscious on the floor. She was the first to call 911

The St. Clair County 911 Center says officers were dispatched and arrived on the scene in less than five minutes after the call.

The center says many people worry about their name and number showing up during a 911 call, but the fact is- that information is not released. They say bystanders should make more of an effort to make the call so lives can be saved in the future.

A memorial fund has been set up for Mia Caito. Donations can be made under the Mia Caito Memorial Fund at any U.S. Bank location.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/911-Caito-could-have-been-saved--138359454.html
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by flash0115 Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:47 pm

these neighbors need to be charged too. they werent afraid for their lives; they just didnt want to get involved. i hope they have nightmares for the rest of their miserable lives for letting this little girl die.

flash0115

Job/hobbies : Pretending to maintain my sanity

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:04 am

Cries of justice for a murdered three year old girl are crossing state
lines. Mia Caito was killed near Belleville in late January, allegedly
by her mother's boyfriend. But Mia spent about a year of her short
life Arnold, being raised by Lasaunda and Mike Palmer. Monday night,
Lasaunda`s friends organized a candlelight vigil to honor the little
girl, and send a message that what happened to her should never happen
again.

"She was a beautiful three year old girl that honestly,
never did anything wrong," Lasaunda said to the crowd gathered at Arnold
City Park. "This was senseless."

Mia's mother is Lasaunda's
niece. Shortly after Mia was born, her mother needed help, so Mia came
to the Palmers.

"She came when she was six months old and we took
care of her until she was about 12 months," Lasaunda said. She moved
to other family members and then returned to Lasaunda and Mike months
later. Mike has two grown sons. She was the first little girl they`d
ever had running around their home.

"She came back to us last February and stayed until July. Then my
family came and thought it was best that she went back to her mother.
She was a blessing for sure. She brought joy to our lives. I don`t
have kids so she was like the kid I don't have," she said.

January
27 police say Mia was beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend Julian
Gates. He is charged with murder. He has pled not guilty. Lasaunda
says neighbors heard gates abusing Mia, yet did not call for help.

The vigil was a time to mourn for Mia, and a time to cry for help for other children.

"Our
main point is people need to speak up," said Kristal Hartsell, a friend
and coworker of Lasaunda`s who helped organize the vigil with Holly
Mulligan.

"If you think it`s abuse you`re probably right,"
Mulligan said. "You need to speak out then. We all need to step up and
be that person that calls or snitches. You can call anonymously. You
can call 911 and say you heard it and they won`t say who you are. You
don`t have to worry about the person coming after you. It`s more
important to save the child`s life. It could be your child. It`s
somebody`s child."

The Palmers held on to each other tightly
during the vigil. They said the support from their friends was the only
thing guiding them through the grief, and the knowledge they gave Mia
good times. And she gave them true happiness.

"Justice will be served," Lasaunda said. "One way or the other they`ll get theirs. I'm sure."

http://www.kplr11.com/news/ktvi-vigil-held-for-girl-allegedly-beaten-to-death-by-mothers-boyfriend-20120206,0,4709650.story
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by mom_in_il Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:50 pm

St. Clair County man gets 47-year sentence for beating 'Little Diva' to death

BY BETH HUNDSDORFER
News-DemocratAugust 16, 2013

BELLEVILLE — Julian Gates told a judge on Friday that he just "snapped" when he beat 3-year-old Mia Caito to death.

Gates, 24, told investigators that Mia urinated in her bed, then lied about it, so he beat her with a belt, his hand and an extension cord. The toddler died from blunt force trauma.

Gates pleaded guilty on Friday to first-degree murder. St. Clair County State's Assistant State's Attorney Deborah Phillips asked Chief Judge John Baricevic to sentence Gates to 60 years. Gates' lawyer, Cathy MacElroy, asked for a 20-year sentence.

Baricevic settled on a 47-year sentence.

Mia lived in an apartment near Belleville with her mother, Brandy Johnson, and Gates, Johnson's boyfriend.

In her victim impact statement, Johnson wrote that Mia loved hugs and kisses, wearing her hair in a ponytail and watching the television show "Dora The Explorer."

"She loved to have her nails painted," Johnson said. "Oh, and don't forget to do her toes, too."

That description rang true for Shannon and Andrew Robertson, who raised Mia for almost two years. The Robertsons wanted to adopt Mia, whom they called the "Little Diva," but Johnson refused. She ended the Robertsons' guardianship and sought full custody.

A judge returned Mia to Johnson's custody in February 2011 but Robertson turned Mia over to her aunt, LaShaundra Palmer in Arnold, Mo., until July 2011 when Mia actually returned to live with her mother and Gates at an apartment at 1029 Brookshire near Belleville.

On Jan. 27, 2012, Mia was taken to Memorial Hospital in Belleville. She was covered "head to toe" with bruises, according to investigators.

The Robertsons were with Johnson when the social workers gave her the news that Mia had died.

Gates will be 72 when he's eligible for release from the Illinois Department of Corrections.

http://www.bnd.com/2013/08/16/2748499/st-clair-county-man-gets-47-year.html#storylink=cpy
mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:13 am

This mother should be in prison for 47 years.  This monster should be in there for life.

Another POS mother.  Another POS man.  Another dead baby.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down