Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EDITH RAZO-PINA/CHAVEZ - 2.5 months -(2009) Pahrump NV

3 posters

Go down

EDITH RAZO-PINA/CHAVEZ - 2.5 months -(2009) Pahrump NV Empty EDITH RAZO-PINA/CHAVEZ - 2.5 months -(2009) Pahrump NV

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:42 am

Bianca Razo-Pina,
18, appeared before Justice of the Peace Kent Jasperson on Monday,
charged with one count of open murder as well as abuse, neglect or
endangerment of a child.

At the conclusion of
her preliminary hearing, Jasperson reduced her $2 million bail to
$500,000 cash or a $1 million bond. He also found sufficient evidence
to transfer her case to District Court, where her initial hearing is
set for 10 a.m., Sept. 15.

About half the seats
in the courtroom were filled by her supportive family members.
Razo-Pina has been in custody since the death of her 2-1/2-month-old
daughter, Edith. The baby was brought to Desert View Hospital on
Monday, July 20, by Razo-Pina and the baby's father, Efren Chavez. The
child was examined and treated, then transported to Las Vegas in a
comatose state by helicopter.

Both parents were initially held by the Nye County Sheriff's Office on $5,000 bail each for child endangerment.
Razo-Pina's bail was
posted and she was able to see her baby and make funeral arrangements.
A few days later, she was arrested for murder.

Chavez's bail was upped to $1 million when the baby died. However, there are currently no charges pending against him.
He was described in
Monday's testimony by arresting Det. Dave Boruchowitz as "distraught."
Boruchowitz said the 24-year-old father appeared to be "grieving." He
also testified that Chavez' demeanor was "concerned and upset ...
paying attention to Edith in the hospital bed."

Boruchowitz said the
staff at Sunrise Hospital agreed with the opinion of the doctors in
Pahrump, confirming Edith's injuries were not consistent with Razo-Pina
account of what happened to her.

Originally, when
talking to NCSO officers, Razo-Pina said she didn't know what caused
the bruise on her daughter's right temple. However, she told
Boruchowitz the baby's 1-year-old brother may have thrown a bottle at
her head.

She also said the baby had fallen off a queen-size bed a few days before. Another account suggested the baby fell off the couch.
Finally, the mother
said her baby's head might have hit the side of a door frame while she
was carrying Edith out of the bedroom, where the child had been crying.
Later, at Sunrise
Hospital, where Razo-Pina sat with her dying baby, she told hospital
staff the baby's head did accidentally hit the door frame while she was
carrying her.

Razo-Pina was
represented by her attorney, Harry Kuehn, through a Spanish-speaking
interpreter, although Boruchowitz said he had conducted several
interviews with Razo-Pina, who was born in the USA. "She did not have
any problem speaking English," he said.

The interpreter explained several comments made by Kuehn and Jasperson to the court attendees.[/size]
Razo-Pina did not
testify in her own behalf although her lawyer cross-examined
Boruchowitz as well as pediatric ophthalmologist Dr. Kathlene Mahon,
who testified by the telephone from Sunrise Hospital.

Mahon is a clinical
professor at UNR's medical school and has been a practicing doctor for
49 years. She said 90 percent of her time is spent with children during
her 40-hours of hospital work per week.

Mahon examined Edith
when she was brought to Sunrise Hospital and said the baby's injuries
were not from a fall of any kind or from knocking her head on a door
frame but from being severely shaken.

Kuehn told the court
attendees, "We are only going to hear a little bit of the evidence
today. Bianca will not testify ... all I want to accomplish is to get
the medical testimony understood. If there is a little evidence that a
crime has been committed the judge will transfer her case to the
district court.

"There is much investigation to do. We have to hire our own medical experts and gather our own medical evidence."
The state was
represented by Assistant District Attorney Wes White, who gave Kuehn
photos of the baby taken in the hospital. The bruise on the baby's
right temple was clearly visible.

The autopsy report
and photographs are not yet available, although Boruchowitz said he was
at the Clark County Morgue during the autopsy. Kuehn asked Boruchowitz
if the pathologist shared anything of note with him during the
procedure. Boruchowitz answered the doctor said the baby's brain was
"completely bruised; had extremely severe bruising" and that her
injuries "happened over a period of time." Borouchowitz said, "In her
opinion, the injuries were intentional in nature over a period of time."

Boruchowitz said
while at Desert View Hospital, Razo-Pina "was very calm and did not
appear to be upset until I accused her of hurting the baby or accused
her boyfriend of being involved."

After the baby was
examined by the staff at Sunrise Hospital, Boruchowitz said, "When I
notified Bianca the baby's injuries were serious, her reaction was not
appropriate. She didn't necessarily ask how the baby was. We had to
tell her."

The day before the
baby died of her injuries, Boruchowitz said he asked Razo-Pina leading
questions to gauge her reactions. He asked what she thought should
happen to the person who did that to her baby and Razo-Pina said she
did not know.

"Do you think they
deserve a second chance?" Boruchowitz asked. Razo-Pina replied, "Yes,
of course. Everybody deserves a second chance. Accidents happen."
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

EDITH RAZO-PINA/CHAVEZ - 2.5 months -(2009) Pahrump NV Empty Re: EDITH RAZO-PINA/CHAVEZ - 2.5 months -(2009) Pahrump NV

Post by oviedo45 Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:14 pm

JP APPOINTED AS NYE COUNTY SPECIAL DISTRICT ATTORNEY

By an Order of the Fifth Judicial District Court, John ‘JP’ Schlegelmilch has been appointed to serve as a Special District Attorney for Nye County in the case of State of Nevada v. Bianca Razo-Pina. Razo-Pina has been charged with Murder during the Commission of Child Abuse, Open Murder, and Child Abuse Causing Substantial Bodily Harm. The trial is currently set to commence September 7, 2010, in the Nye County Courthouse in Pahrump.

Razo-Pina is accused of causing the death of her two month old infant by the use of blunt force trauma.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:A1PFmsxucG8J:www.campaignsitebuilder.com/templates/displayfiles/tmpl154.asp%3FSiteID%3D3104%26PageID%3D57716%26Trial%3Dfalse+Bianca+Razo-Pina+murder+trial+date+nye+county&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
oviedo45
oviedo45
Admin

Back to top Go down

EDITH RAZO-PINA/CHAVEZ - 2.5 months -(2009) Pahrump NV Empty Re: EDITH RAZO-PINA/CHAVEZ - 2.5 months -(2009) Pahrump NV

Post by Watcher_of_all Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:39 pm

http://pvtimes.com/news/20-years-for-mom-in-babys-09-death/
20 years for mom in baby’s ’09 death
Posted on05 October 2011.

By Kelci Parks

Pahrump resident Bianca Razo-Pina, 20, was sentenced Monday in connection with the 2009 death of her 2-month-old daughter, Edith.

Razo-Pina and her boyfriend had taken their daughter to the Desert View Hospital emergency room in July of 2009. The infant was in full arrest and turning blue.

Emergency room doctors went to work on the baby and hospital staff notified police of suspicious bruising on the infant.

In subsequent interviews with police, Razo-Pina first denied that any trauma had befallen the child.

She later told authorities that the child may have sustained the bruising when she fell off a bed onto a concrete floor. Razo-Pina also spoke of an incident when the child fell off a couch.

Additionally, during later interviews, she described one night when Edith woke up crying. Razo-Pina recalled carrying the child to the kitchen where she said she may or may not have accidentally hit the child’s head on a door frame, says the incident report.

Razo-Pina was later arrested, along with the child’s father. She was originally charged with one count of murder and one count of child abuse and neglect with substantial bodily harm and/or death. She accepted a plea deal of child abuse and neglect as well as involuntary manslaughter.

“Historically, in Nye County, there’s no fondness for an Alford Plea,” said Razo-Pina’s defense attorney, Harry Kuehn. “But in this case they agreed not to huff and puff too much and we were able to enter an Alford plea, which, of course, allows a person to plead to one or more offenses while denying that a crime was actually committed by the person.”

Kuehn argued several points in front of Fifth Judicial District Judge Kimberly Wanker on his client’s behalf, starting with an attempt to discredit a lie-detecting method utilized by Nye County authorities called Computerized Voice Stress Analysis CVSA .

“I have a personal goal when it comes to the CVSA. It’s my hope that it will be eliminated as a police tool in my lifetime. Ten states have legislatively prohibited the use of the CVSA because it’s what I call a voodoo science. It’s based on a computer chip that measures the trimmers in a person’s throat and then correlates that to truthfulness or untruthfulness. The CVSA is not only inadmissible, it’s so bad that it’s no better than a coin flip,” he said.

Police reports consistently conveyed that the suspect reacted in an abnormal way to the situation. Statements from authorities who interviewed her and witness statements from multiple hospital nurses noted that Razo-Pina showed little or no emotion throughout the entire ordeal.

“Much of this case was based on my client’s reactions. I’ve only been a lawyer for 31 years, but people react in countless different ways,” said Kuehn. “I don’t want to end this without mentioning my client’s demeanor with me for the past 800 days. From the beginning, your honor, whatever has been written in the reports about lack of emotion and odd behavior has not been demonstrated in my presence. I want you and the parole board to know that she is absolutely devastated by the loss of her child.”

The defense offered a modified recommendation of lesser time, served concurrently as opposed to consecutively.

Nye County Deputy District Attorney Wes White said the defendant was given a good plea deal and to come back and ask for a further reduction was unwarranted.

“There’s not a whole lot that can be said, other than a two-month-old baby girl lost her life. In a case like this, where a plea deal is reached, the state feels, most often, that in that plea bargain the defendant received her break,” said White. “Here, murder charges were not pursued, felony murder, charges that could have landed her in prison for the rest of her life. The most she faces now is 24 years in prison. She had her break, and I think that she owes society a debt and she owes that little girl a debt.”

Wanker listened intently to both arguments.

“This has been a very troubling case for me. I have read everything in the file forward and backwards,” she said. “The bottom line is that we have a dead child. And according to the medical reports in this case, the physician from Sunrise Hospital, who happened to be an expert in pediatric ophthalmology, commented that these injuries were so severe that … had the child survived, she probably would have been blind and suffered from so many things that quite frankly it was probably a blessing that the child passed on.”

Wanker said she was appalled with the lack of accountability she saw in the case.

“I think the part for me that is most troubling is the lack of accountability and responsibility. Nobody takes any accountability or responsibility for what happened to the child.”

She noted that she was not only concerned about the number of stories provided concerning what may or may not have happened to the child, but also the apparent lack of emotion. It also concerned her that after being arrested and bonding out, it took Razo-Pino a few hours to arrive at the hospital to be with her dying child.

“Again, I’m very troubled by this case. I’ve thought a lot about it, probably more on this case than all of the others that are sitting here on my desk this morning,” said Wanker, who then glanced at the towering caseload next to her.

After a long pause, she sentenced Razo-Pina to the Nevada Department of Corrections for a minimum of 76 months and a maximum of 190 months for the child abuse and neglect charge.

For the involuntary manslaughter charge, Razo-Pina received a sentence of 19 to 48 months, to be served consecutively. Razo-Pina was given credit for 804 days of time served and could be paroled in as little as just over five years.

EDITH RAZO-PINA/CHAVEZ - 2.5 months -(2009) Pahrump NV 6152760-150x150
Bianca Razo-Pina
Watcher_of_all
Watcher_of_all

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down