Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ELLA GRACE STAFFORD & JONATHON SANDERLIN - 1 yo (2010) - Allen Park (SW Detroit) MI

+5
hope4life
alwaysbelieve
tears4caylee
kiwimom
TomTerrific0420
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ELLA GRACE STAFFORD & JONATHON SANDERLIN - 1 yo (2010) - Allen Park (SW Detroit) MI - Page 2 Empty Re: ELLA GRACE STAFFORD & JONATHON SANDERLIN - 1 yo (2010) - Allen Park (SW Detroit) MI

Post by twinkletoes Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:15 am

kiwimom wrote:
hope4life wrote:I believe that everyone has their own right to their opinion but until you have to walk in someone else shoes then you have no right to comment on it! I believe that the babies shouldn't have suffered but it's to late for that now....does anyone think how the mothers feel or know what they feel? May spirits be with all of you, you sure need it!!! Nobody deserves to be torture or to die....because then we are just as wrong for that! How can we teach our children right from wrong.....when we as adults do not do that ourselves? CPS, the courts, and any other authority figure should really think the next time about the child or family before the money!!! That is were the fault lies and nobody will stand up until it is to late!!! There is three sides to this story: one the fathers, two the mothers, and third the truth....nobody knows what happens behind closes doors. Think the next time before you speak please!!!!
What makes you believe people are not aloud to comment on something unless they have been in the same shoes? Are you serious? And surely you can't also be serious in saying it's the authorities fault. My god, you make it sound like this all just 'happened' to the poor mothers through no fault of theirs. The children are the one's who suffered horribly and died. After the mothers made their first choice to get pregnant to a lowlife, their decision making didn't get any better after the babies were born did they? I expect you are part of this crowd of no hopers and that's why you've jumped on this forum in their defence. If not I'm guessing you HAVE walked in the same shoes and have also had babies and put them in harms way. For some reason you identify with the mothers. We are a voice for the children.
Well said.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

ELLA GRACE STAFFORD & JONATHON SANDERLIN - 1 yo (2010) - Allen Park (SW Detroit) MI - Page 2 Empty Re: ELLA GRACE STAFFORD & JONATHON SANDERLIN - 1 yo (2010) - Allen Park (SW Detroit) MI

Post by inmyfloridaopinion Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:55 pm

hope4life wrote:I believe that everyone has their own right to their opinion but until you have to walk in someone else shoes then you have no right to comment on it! I believe that the babies shouldn't have suffered but it's to late for that now....does anyone think how the mothers feel or know what they feel? May spirits be with all of you, you sure need it!!! Nobody deserves to be torture or to die....because then we are just as wrong for that! How can we teach our children right from wrong.....when we as adults do not do that ourselves? CPS, the courts, and any other authority figure should really think the next time about the child or family before the money!!! That is were the fault lies and nobody will stand up until it is to late!!! There is three sides to this story: one the fathers, two the mothers, and third the truth....nobody knows what happens behind closes doors. Think the next time before you speak please!!!!
"It's to (sic) late for that now...."

Well, it's NOT too late for the next child this guy might be around! It's not too late for that one!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn

inmyfloridaopinion
inmyfloridaopinion

Job/hobbies : Family (and Zoo) Keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwimom Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:48 pm

inmyfloridaopinion wrote:
"It's to (sic) late for that now...."

Well, it's NOT too late for the next child this guy might be around! It's not too late for that one!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn

And hopefully there are grandparents or other young mothers out there who, because of public outcry calling for the mothers to also be held responsible for what happened, may think twice about their life choices.
kiwimom
kiwimom

Back to top Go down

Post by RedHead Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:08 am

TomTerrific0420 wrote:I totally and unequivocally agree with you AB! Shame on you hope4life!
How dare you defend these PPP mothers who knew exactly what was going to happen. They should not be one bit surprised and if your child is being suffocated with pillows you should not bitch and moan about it when they come up deceased. It's bleeding hearts like you that perpetuate this nonsense. I have no ability to feel anything but DISGUST at these two NotMoms....
I will defend to the death your right to your opinion but that does not mean that I have to acknowledge it as anything but asinine.

Spot on Tom! If I believed my child was being tortured by his or her father, I'd be filing court papers so fast to take away any and all of his parental and visitation rights his head would spin. My heart screams in pain for these children, but feels nothing but contempt for both of these mothers.
RedHead
RedHead

Job/hobbies : Advocating for Justice and Fighting Cancer

Back to top Go down

Post by mermaid55 Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:47 pm

DETROIT: Judge decides father to be charged with criminal intent in toddlers' drowning death

DETROIT — A judge decided Friday that an Allen Park man accused of drowning his two children still will be charged with criminal intent, despite a motion to drop the charge.

William Winters, the attorney for Steven Lyn Nicholson, 27, filed the motion at the continuation of the previous week’s adjourned final conference.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Vera Massey-Jones denied the motion, which would have dropped charges of criminal intent in the toddlers’ deaths.

Nicholson faces six charges, including two counts of premeditated murder, in the Oct. 9 drowning deaths of Ella Stafford, 15 months, and Johnathon Sanderlin, 13 months. The children, who had different mothers, lived with Nicholson.

“The prosecutor says these are intentional acts, but there’s no evidence showing these are intentional acts,” Winters said at the beginning of the final conference.

That conference was adjourned as a result of a clerical error in which Massey-Jones did not receive Winters’ motion.

Nicholson’s trial will begin April 11 before Massey-Jones.

Two weeks ago, Massey-Jones ordered Nicholson to undergo a psychological examination before the trial.

Nicholson’s attorney also is seeking a second opinion from Oakland County’s chief medical examiner, Dr. L.J. Dragovich, as to the cause of the toddlers’ deaths.

At the preliminary examination of the evidence against Nicholson on Nov. 15 in 24th District Court in Allen Park, Wayne County’s chief medical examiner, Dr. Carl Schmidt, said the deaths were homicides.
Continued...

http://thenewsherald.com/articles/2011/01/28/none/doc4d431249b34b4996285512.txt
mermaid55
mermaid55

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:19 am

A bench trial is under way today for an Allen Park man charged with scalding and drowning his two young children. Steven
Nicholson, 27, waived his right to a jury and will instead allow Wayne
County Circuit Judge Vera Massey Jones to sit alone in judgment of his
guilt or innocence of first-degree premeditated murder and first-degree
child abuse for the October deaths of 15-month-old Ella Stafford and her
13-month-old half brother, Jonathon Sanderlin. Nicholson is accused of killing the toddlers in his apartment
bathtub. He has said they must have wandered and turned on the tub's hot
water while he slept.

Wayne County's Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Carl Schmidt is expected to
testify that the toddlers died as a result of intentional drowning. The
prosecutor has said the children were "tortured." However,
before the trial began this morning, Circuit Judge Thomas Jackson
stepped into Jones' courtroom to rule on whether to allow witness
accusations in the trial that Nicholson abused Jonathon prior to the
deaths. Jones wasn't allowed to handle the motion because she is now the
one who must judge the evidence to be presented. Assistant
Prosecutor Carin Goldfarb said she hopes to present witnesses who will
say Nicholson previously hit, punched, kicked, pushed and dragged
Jonathon by his arm. "While not witnesses to the ultimate murder, they are witnesses of the child abuse that led to the murders," Goldfarb said. Defense lawyer William Winters argued that the testimony was prejudicial and inappropriate. "They
called this a murder, but there is absolutely no evidence that these
deaths were anything other than accidental. There is no evidence of any
trauma, other than scalding that likely happened after the deaths,"
Winters said. Jackson said he would allow Jones to hear the testimony. "I find that evidence may be admitted. I find it has a proper purpose to show past conduct," Jackson said.
From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110411/METRO01/104110361/Bench-trial-starts-in-deaths-of-2-Allen-Park-toddlers#ixzz1JH8G76MM

TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by TomTerrific0420 Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:46 pm

A 27-year-old Allen Park man was found guilty in Wayne County Circuit Court on Tuesday of drowning his two toddlers.

Judge
Vera Massey-Jones ruled that Steven Lyn Nicholson is guilty of one
count of first-degree felony murder, one count of first-degree child
abuse and one count of second-degree murder in the Oct. 19 deaths of
Ella Stafford, 15 months, and Johnathon Sanderlin, 13 months, both of
whom lived with him. The children had different mothers.

“I came
up with the conclusion that this case ought to be called a perfect
storm,” Massey-Jones said in her decision. “Being a parent is not easy.”

Massey-Jones
said she found Nicholson guilty of second-degree murder in the death of
Johnathon because she did not believe he intended to kill the boy. She
said Nicholson was “overcome by the stress of being a single parent” and
“just wanted to shut him up.”

“Unfortunately, he committed an act that caused him great bodily harm,” she said.

Massey-Jones
said, however, that she believed Nicholson intended to kill Ella “in
order to establish an alibi.” He was found guilty of first-degree murder
in the girl’s death.

Nicholson’s sentencing will be May 13.

“The
judge got it right, but that doesn’t do anything for the children,”
prosecuting attorney Carin Goldfarb said after the ruling.

Nicholson’s
bench trial had entered its third week Monday. Massey-Jones went into
deliberations late Tuesday morning after closing arguments were
presented by the prosecution and the defense. She gave her ruling about
four hours later.

The trial had resumed Monday with police
showing a video interrogation of Nicholson that was recorded hours after
the children were found dead in his apartment.

Nicholson had
been charged with two counts of first-degree murder, punishable by life
in prison without parole; two counts of felony murder, punishable by
life in prison; and two counts of first-degree child abuse, punishable
by a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.

The police video
showed Nicholson as argumentative and not visibly upset by the deaths.
He repeated many times that he was sleeping and did not know what
happened the night his children drowned.

“I wouldn’t let accidents happen,” he said. “I’m too strict of a parent. I pride myself on being a great dad.”

Nicholson was interrogated by police Detectives Jeff Miller, James Wilkewitz and William Mehall.

►AUDIO: Father found guilty of first-degree murder talks to police after toddlers found drowned

“What
we’ve discovered there and what you’re telling us are not the same
thing,” Wilkewitz said in the video. “It’s not consistent.

“For your kids’ sake and your family’s sake, just tell us what happened.”

Nicholson became more confrontational when police asked him if he abused alcohol, saying he did not drink.

When police told him they had heard Ella’s mother, Tayler Stafford, say otherwise, Nicholson called them liars.

“You’re a liar because Tayler knows I don’t drink,” he said.

When Nicholson’s story still did not provide any answers, Wilkewitz told him to “dig down deep and try to tell us the truth.”

“We think that you had a part in this,” Wilkewitz said. “Everything points to the fact that you did have a part in this.”

Wilkewitz
told Nicholson that he believed one of two things happened. His first
theory was that Nicholson was taking care of two babies and snapped.

“The alternative is this,” Wilkewitz said. “You’re just a cold-blooded killer.”

Nicholson said in the video that there was nothing that would ever make him kill his children.

Massey-Jones
cleared the courtroom to go into deliberations after the prosecutor and
the defense attorney gave their closing arguments Tuesday morning.

“The
defendant was a determined murderer and he was just as determined to
get away with it,” the prosecuting attorney said. “In order to believe
the defendant’s story, you need to believe that lightning struck at
least 10 times.”

Goldfarb presented a list of what she labeled as
“lightning strikes” that would have to be true to absolve Nicholson of
culpability.

Among other things, her list included:

• “Both babies get out of cribs in the middle of the night.”

• “Both of them head to the bathroom together.”

• “Babies plug up the bathtub.”

• “Babies turn on hot water.”

• “Johnathon puts his head in the water and drowns and then ‘cooks’ in hot water.”

“Ella either puts her face in the water and drowns or she puts her head
into a couple inches of standing water and stays there to drown.”

• “Neither child cries or screams loud enough to be heard.”

Goldfarb
also presented a list of evidence that she said points to the scene
being staged by Nicholson, and a list of the toddlers’ physical and
social abilities.

“The evidence has proven beyond a reasonable
doubt that these deaths were homicides,” Goldfarb said. “We’ll never
exactly know what was in the defendant’s mind when he killed his
babies.”

In his summation, defense attorney William Winters reminded the court that the burden of proof rested with the prosecution.

“No
matter how many theories and guesses they want to make and changes in
their expert testimony, that’s not going to change the fact that the
prosecution has to show this was an inflicted death,” he said.

Winters said he believed Wayne County’s chief medical examiner, Dr. Carl Schmidt, “was making things up as he went along.”

Schmidt,
who performed the autopsies on the toddlers, said at a preliminary
examination of the evidence against Nicholson that the toddlers drowned
in hot water. He said in court that he believed they drowned in room
temperature water, followed by scalding.

Schmidt did not waver in his opinion that the deaths were homicides.

“Objective
facts show that Mr. Nicholson’s version of what happened makes more
sense than the prosecutor’s imaginative theory,” Winters said.

“This
is not a part-time dad who watches the kids occasionally. This is a
full-time father. This man is going to have to live with the death of
his kids for the rest of his life.”

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/2011/04/27/news/doc4db831f912436092673769.txt?viewmode=fullstory
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

Post by kiwimom Sun May 15, 2011 4:31 am

DETROIT — An Allen Park man found guilty of drowning his two toddlers
was sentenced Friday morning to life in prison, concluding a trial that
began April 11.

Wayne County Circuit Judge Vera Massey-Jones
sentenced Steven Lyn Nicholson, 27, to life in prison without parole for
first-degree felony murder, 25 years for second-degree murder and one
to 15 years for first-degree child abuse.

Nicholson, 27, was
convicted in the Oct. 19 deaths of his children, Ella Stafford, 15
months, and Johnathon Sanderlin, 13 months.

Both children, who had different mothers, lived with Nicholson at Valley Springs Apartments, 11330 Old Goddard Road.

Nicholson told the judge that the only one who knows he is innocent is God.

“God gives me the comfort alone,” he said. “I made a tragic mistake. I ask for forgiveness.”

It
was early on that October morning that Nicholson’s children were found
dead in his bathroom — Johnathon, in the bathtub, and Ella, on the
floor.

Both children had been scalded by hot water.

Nicholson’s
defense attorney, William Winters, argued during the trial that the
children were playing in the bathroom and that their deaths were
accidental.

Nicholson said he was sleeping when the deaths occurred. Continued...

http://www.thenewsherald.com/articles/2011/05/14/news/doc4dcd8c8ad8827148380968.txt
kiwimom
kiwimom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2