Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton saw likelihood of death penalty as ‘extremely thin’ - Hal

Go down

Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton saw likelihood of death penalty as ‘extremely thin’ - Hal Empty Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton saw likelihood of death penalty as ‘extremely thin’ - Hal

Post by mom_in_il Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:39 pm

Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton saw likelihood of death penalty as ‘extremely thin’
posted by halboedeker on June, 24 2012 2:33 PM

State attorney candidates Jeff Ashton and Lawson Lamar in Sunday TV appearances defended seeking the death penalty against Casey Anthony.

“As far as the charge goes of first-degree murder, I believe that is what she did. I believe that she deliberately murdered her child, so I think that the charge was appropriate,” Ashton told ”Political Connections” on Central Florida News 13. “I believe that Lawson lawfully sought the death penalty. I believe that, under review of the evidence, that aggravating circumstances were there. So I do not criticize him on a legal basis for making that decision.”

But Ashton added that he warned State Attorney Lamar, his former boss, that the likelihood of Anthony getting the death penalty was “extremely thin and ultimately it was his decision.” Ashton dismissed Lamar’s view that seeking the death penalty was a group decision.

“When I’m state attorney, the buck stops with me,” Ashton said. “I’m not going to run away from responsibility for decisions I make.”

Voters will decide the race for state attorney of Orange-Osceola counties on Aug. 14.

On WKMG-Channel 6’s “Flashpoint,” Lamar defended seeking the death penalty against Anthony, who was later acquitted of murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee.

“Any time that you’ve got a case where you believe the defendant — morally, ethically – you believe the defendant is guilty, you should go for it. It belongs before a jury,” Lamar said. ”The fact that it was charged as a first degree does not mean that jury had only first degree as a choice.”

Lamar said he consulted with other prosecutors who agreed that the death penalty was called for because of expert testimony “that the tape was over little Caylee’s mouth and nose.”

In Ashton’s interview with News 13, he said the Anthony case may help his candidacy because “it gave people a reason to say maybe he does have a better way of doing things.”

But he added, “I don’t think this election should be, or will be, decided based upon people’s opinion of one case.” He noted that he had almost 300 trials, including 85 murder cases, in his career.

Ashton said that the state attorney should be trying cases and noted that Lamar hasn’t tried one in 16 years. “I think that he doesn’t feel it’s important,” Ashton told moderator Ybeth Bruzual. “I just vehemently disagree with him. I think what goes on in that courtroom is the most important thing.”

Ashton also said he intended to lead by example and work more with young attorneys in the state attorney’s office. “Lawson’s only real contact with the young lawyers is walking around with a coffee cup every three or four months and saying, ‘Everything OK? Everything OK?’ That’s not how you talk to the lawyers,” Ashton said.

Ashton said he was not involved in the production of the Lifetime movie “Prosecuting Casey Anthony,” based on his book, “Imperfect Justice.”

“I’m going to be as surprised by it as everybody else,” Ashton said.

Filming in Winnipeg concluded last week.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2012/06/casey-anthony-jeff-ashton-saw-likelihood-of-death-penalty-as-extremely-thin.html
mom_in_il
mom_in_il
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down