Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DEREK MAMALES - 5 yo (10/14) - Tooele, UT

Go down

DEREK MAMALES - 5 yo (10/14) - Tooele, UT  Empty DEREK MAMALES - 5 yo (10/14) - Tooele, UT

Post by twinkletoes Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:46 am

Missing 5-year-old from Tooele found safe; father arrested

By Sandra Yi 
October 4th, 2014 @ 6:29pm

TOOELE — A 5-year-old boy was reunited with his family in Tooele Saturday after a police dog located him and his father in a shed, ending an Amber Alert.

Derek Mamales' sisters were overcome with emotion as they greeted their younger brother; one held him tightly in her arms before rushing him inside the house.

“I’m glad he’s safe," Lindsi Mamales said.

Tooele police began looking for Derek and his father, 44-year-old Richard Mamales, Friday evening. Police said Derek's mother was dropping him off at a home at 448 East Vine Street in Tooele when she and Derek's father got into a fight.

As the argument escalated, Mamales threatened to kill his whole family, starting with Derek, police said.

“(Richard Mamales) had made a threat that he should kill the whole family and that he may just start with (Derek), as he grabbed the boy and left,” said Tooele Police Capt. Paul Wimmer.

By midday Saturday police decided to issue an Amber Alert.

Because of Richard Mamales alleged history of drug use and bipolar disorder, Lindsi Mamales feared the worst.

“He’s my dad too,” she said. “I know he loves us, he just gets off his rocker without his meds.”

Shortly after the Amber Alert was issued, a police K-9 tracked Derek and his father to a shed just down the street from where they disappeared. Derek was in good condition, wearing his dad's sweatshirt and eating candy, police said.

“He was scared when he took him out of the truck. He kept saying, ‘I want my mommy! I want my mommy!’ when he was running away from him,” Lindsi Mamales said.

Richard Mamales was arrested. By Saturday evening, police were still in the process of booking him into the Tooele County Jail. They said he has a probation violation.

Court records show Richard Mamales has a criminal history that includes domestic violence-related charges.DEREK MAMALES - 5 yo (10/14) - Tooele, UT  Beacon

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=31823465&nid=148
twinkletoes
twinkletoes
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down