Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRIANNA KILLIAN - Newborn - Bloomsburg PA

2 posters

Go down

BRIANNA KILLIAN - Newborn - Bloomsburg PA Empty BRIANNA KILLIAN - Newborn - Bloomsburg PA

Post by TomTerrific0420 Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:05 am

A northeastern Pennsylvania woman accused of leaving her newborn
daughter outside in freezing weather has pleaded guilty to endangering
the welfare of her child.In exchange for Wednesday's plea,
Columbia County prosecutors dropped other charges against 23-year-old Jennifer Lynn Killian.The
Berwick woman told police that she hid her pregnancy by wearing baggy
clothes before giving birth Nov. 22 in a bathroom of her parents' home.
She told police that she wanted to give the baby up at a hospital and
put the baby outside through a window so her parents wouldn't see her
leaving the house with the baby. Her father found the baby first and
called police.A message left Wednesday afternoon for defense lawyer Franklin Earl Kepner Jr. was not immediately returned.

Last edited by TomTerrific0420 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomTerrific0420
TomTerrific0420
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Searching for Truth and Justice

Back to top Go down

BRIANNA KILLIAN - Newborn - Bloomsburg PA Empty Jennifer Killian (mother) sentenced for placing newborn outside in cold.

Post by kath Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:34 pm

January 12

Mom jailed for endangering tot
Jennifer Killian sentenced for placing newborn outside in cold.
By Edward Lewis elewis@timesleader.com
Staff Writer

BLOOMSBURG – Calling it a crime of deep recklessness, Columbia County President Judge Scott Naus sentenced a mother on Monday to one to three years in jail for placing her newborn infant out of a window in freezing temperatures.

Jennifer Killian, 24, of Berwick, was permitted to serve her sentence at the Columbia County Prison while she continues treatment for mental illnesses.

Killian’s lawyer, Franklin Kepner Jr., said she has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Kepner requested house arrest for Killian, who was sentenced on the charge of endangering the welfare of children.

Berwick police said Killian, then 23, gave birth in a first-floor bathroom of her parents’ house on Garfield Avenue on Nov. 22, 2008. She placed the infant in a shopping bag that she retrieved from a garbage can in the house and placed the baby – with the placenta still attached – outside through a window, according to arrest records.

Police said the outside temperature when the infant was found by Killian’s stepfather, Charles Drasher, was 17 degrees, and the baby’s core temperature was 84 degrees when she was taken to Berwick Hospital.

Killian wept as she told Naus she never intended to harm the infant that she was planning to abandon at Berwick Hospital.

“This is a sad and tragic case,” Naus said. “I don’t think there was a criminal mind, but a crime of deep recklessness. She did recklessly avoid the care for an infant.”

Killian, the mother of a 2 � year old girl, hid her second pregnancy from her mother, Trudy Drasher.

Trudy Drasher threatened to throw her daughter out of the home if she got pregnant a second time.

During the sentencing hearing, Dr. Richard E. Fischbein, a psychiatrist who evaluated Killian, testified she suffers from several mental illnesses, including bipolar and personality disorders. At the time she gave birth to her second child, Killian was suffering from hyperthyroidism, a hyperactive thyroid, that caused her anxiety and periods of depression, Fischbein said.

Fischbein noted that while Killian was in the U.S. Air Force, she was hospitalized three times for her mental health before she was discharged after a year in the service.

Mixed with the anxiety and depression, and Trudy Drasher’s threat to throw her out of the home, Fischbein said he was of the opinion that Killian had no other option but to hide her pregnancy and the baby from her mother.

“I was scared by what my mother told me, that she was going to kick me out,” Killian said. “I am very sorry for what happened.”

Kepner said Killian feared she was going to be left without a home with her then-2-year-old daughter if Trudy Drasher had acted upon the threat.

“I don’t buy that mom was going to throw you out,” Naus said to Killian. “We’re not talking about a 15-year-old who is pregnant. We’re talking about a woman who has been pregnant and has a 2-year-old.

“I agree with Dr. Fischbein, this defendant is a sick individual … she did life threaten this child. She placed the child in danger of death,” Naus added.

Columbia County prosecutors requested a state prison sentence.

Naus permitted Killian to serve her sentence at the Columbia County Prison, making her eligible for work release. Killian may be released for psychiatric counseling.

The baby, who was named Brianna, is in the custody of adoptive parents

kath
Cricket Tracker
Cricket Tracker

Job/hobbies : Yardwork, plants, garden

Back to top Go down