Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI

3 posters

Go down

JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI Empty JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI

Post by twinkletoes Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:31 pm

6-year-old boy killed over $60 dispute

Posted: 2 hrs, 1 min ago

Flint Police say a 6-year-old boy was killed over a $60 loan.

The suspect is still on the loose and he's considered armed and dangerous.

"He was a mama's boy," says Merchand Williams, mother of the victim Jonaries Holden. "My baby was innocent. He didn't bother nobody."

Police say Jonaries Holden was shot and killed by 25-year-old DaVontrae Benton. Investigators say the 6 year old, his twin brother, and a 2 year old were riding in the back seat of the twin's father's vehicle.

The father and another woman were in the front seat. Police say around 10 p.m. Monday, DeVontrae Benton confronted the father about a $60 loan. Then, he shot once into the vehicle.

"He was shot in the right shoulder. It went out the left side of his jaw and it shattered his jaw bone and hit his teeth. They couldn't stop him from bleeding," said the victim's mother.

Police say Benton was driving a maroon 2003 Chevrolet Impala with a license plate number of 9JXR28.

A warrant is out for his arrest including four counts of assault with intent to murder, felony firearm and open murder.This is Flint's 55th homicide for 2010.

Police say the ones involving children are especially difficult to handle.

Police Chief Alvern Lock says, "It's terrible. I don't know what to say."

"When a child is involved, you can't help it but it to get to you," says Brett Small who is investigating the case.

Jonaries received multiple awards at Dort Elementary where he went to school. He enjoyed swimming and after-school activities.

His mom says she wants justice.

Those with information about the suspect's whereabouts are asked to call Crime Stoppers at 800-422-Jail or Flint Police at 810-237-6800.

The family has set up a memorial fund at any Citizens Bank location. Those who want to give a donation can specify that it go to the Jonaries Holden Memorial Fund.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI Empty Re: JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI

Post by twinkletoes Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:40 pm

FLINT, Michigan — Wanda Pierce, president of Families of Murdered Children Support Group, said her heart goes out to the family of 6-year-old Jonaries Holden.

"It is really a shame that so many of our innocent children are dying over the violence that occurs here in Flint," she said. "No matter what they are doing, no one deserves to die, but surely not an innocent 6-year-old who happened to be in his father's car."

Jonaries was killed Monday night when a man shot a bullet into his father's car and hit him in the shoulder.

Parents should protect their children at all costs, Pierce said. She encourages more young people to be aware of how they are handling altercations and learn to handle them in less violent ways.

All parents need to think how they are acting verbally and physically as a way to protect their children, she said.

"Our hearts go out to (the family)," Pierce said.

She asks that the Flint community come together to stop the violence.

"We pray that nothing like this happens again," Pierce said. "The loss of this child should affect the community in such a way that there is never an altercation worth losing a life over."
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI Empty Re: JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI

Post by twinkletoes Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:49 pm

DaVontrae Burton

JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI Benton-mugshot

FLINT, Mich. - Police have issued a warrant for a suspect in the shooting death of a 6-year-old Flint boy.

Police say Jonaries Holden died after being struck by at least one bullet fired at a car driven by his father about 10:15 p.m. Monday. Investigators say the shooting took place following an argument over money.

The alleged shooter, DaVontrae Burton, shot Holden with a handgun Monday night. The boy later died at Hurley Medical Center.

No other injuries were reported.

Police say the suspect pulled a four-door burgundy Chevrolet Impala alongside the father's car and started arguing with him about money.

No arrests have been made.

Mayor Dayne Walling called the child's death a "terrible tragedy."
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:48 pm

JONARIES HOLDEN - 6 yo(2010) - Flint MI 25609748_240X180
Jonaries Holden

twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by Watcher_of_all Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Davontrae Benton bound over for trial in shooting death of 6-year-old Jonaries Holden
FLINT — A judge on Thursday said there was probable cause to send a 25-year old man to trial in the shooting death of a 6-year old boy.

Davontrae J. Benton was bound over to circuit court and is accused of shooting 6-year-old Jonaries Holden on Flint Park Boulevard near King Avenue in Flint in November.

Jonaries’ father, Johnny Holden, and a woman in the car testified that Benton approached the car Nov. 1 to ask about a $60 debt that Benton was owed. Holden claimed Benton fired a shot that hit his son.

Benton then came up to Holden after the shooting.

“He caught up with me and asked if my kids were all right,” Holden said. “He looked terrified, like he did something wrong.”

Holden and his then-girlfriend, Sharonda Newton who was in the passenger seat, said they did not see the gun shot. Benton’s attorney, Ken Scott, disagreed with the decision to bind over. Scott said if the two cars were set up the way Holden described in testimony, then Benton could not have been the shooter.

DeVontrae Benton
“The case is all speculation at this point,” he said.

Assistant prosecuting attorney Gladys Christopherson said Benton was the only person in the area and was angry at Holden over the $60.

“If you didn’t shoot into the vehicle then why did you come up and ask if the kids were OK,” Christopherson said. “The only explanation is that he shot into the vehicle.”

A circuit court arraignment is set for March 7.

Benton is being held without bond in the Genesee County Jail.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2011/02/davontrae_benton_bound_over_fo.html
Watcher_of_all
Watcher_of_all

Back to top Go down

Post by mermaid55 Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 am

DaVontrae Benton sentenced to more than 30 years in prison for killing 6-year-old Flint boy

April 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM, updated April 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM

FLINT, MI -- The man convicted of shooting and killing 6-year-old Jonaries Holden in Flint on Nov. 1, 2010, was sentenced to more than 30 years in prison one day before his victim would have turned 8.

DaVontrae J. Benton, 26, of Flint, was sentenced by Genesee Circuit Judge Archie Hayman Thursday to serve 31 years 3 months to 50 years in prison after a jury convicted Benton of second-degree murder for Holden's death in March.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2012/04/davontrae_benton_sentenced_to.html
mermaid55
mermaid55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down