Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RHAIDYN SCOTT - 4 Months (2010) - Forth Worth TX

2 posters

Go down

RHAIDYN SCOTT - 4 Months (2010) - Forth Worth TX Empty RHAIDYN SCOTT - 4 Months (2010) - Forth Worth TX

Post by mermaid55 Mon May 23, 2011 2:47 am

Warning Graphic Video At Link

Teen mom in Texas, Shantaniqua Nykole Scott, caught on tape smothering baby with hand and blanket

A Texas teen mom could face life behind bars after she was caught on camera trying to smother her baby with a blanket and her hands.
Shantaniqua Nykole Scott, 18, of Waco was convicted Thursday of injury to a child.
She told authorities that she couldn't handle the stress of being a single, unemployed mom and wanted the 4-month-old "out of my life."
Last year, baby Rhaidyn had been flown from a Waco hospital to one in Fort Worth for a recurring, gastroesophageal reflux that caused him to stop breathing. After a doctor became suspicious of child abuse, a video monitor was placed in his room, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
What happened next horrified jurors, who saw the disturbing video earlier this week.
In the footage, Scott is seen placing a Winnie the Pooh blanket over Rhaidyn's face for more than 20 seconds. A nurse then comes into the room, while Scott walked across the room and looks at her cell phone.
Shortly after, Scott takes her hand and puts it over the baby's nose and mouth for a minute and 14 seconds. The baby is seen kicking his arms and legs before going limp.
Doctors and nurses rush into the hospital to resuscitate Rhaidyn after alarms go off, indicating he has stopped breathing.
Luckily, the baby survived and is now in foster care.
"No doubt if it hadn't been for the hospital staff, he would be dead today," prosecutor Rainey Webb said.
Defense attorney David Jones argued Scott did not cause any serious injuries to her son.
"She had no business having a baby at her age," he told the courtroom. "But what were the injuries? You didn't hear of any injuries."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/05/20/2011-05-20_teen_mom_in_texas_shantaniqua_nykole_scott_caught_on_tape_smothering_baby_with_h.html#ixzz1N8iU22E9

Last edited by mermaid55 on Mon May 23, 2011 2:57 am; edited 2 times in total
mermaid55
mermaid55
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down

RHAIDYN SCOTT - 4 Months (2010) - Forth Worth TX Empty Re: RHAIDYN SCOTT - 4 Months (2010) - Forth Worth TX

Post by mermaid55 Mon May 23, 2011 2:49 am

Teen Mom in Texas Gets 25 Years for Trying to Smother Her Baby

May 20, 2011

Shantaniqua Nykole Scott, 18, of Waco, Texas, was sentenced to 25 years in prison today for trying to smother her baby -- a crime shown in a graphic video played in court.
Scott held a blanket over the face of her son, Rhaidyn, last July 16 for 21 seconds and later put her hand over his nose and mouth for 1 minute and 14 seconds, according to evidence presented in the trial at Tarrant County court.
The baby survived and is now 14 months old and in foster care. RHAIDYN SCOTT - 4 Months (2010) - Forth Worth TX Ht_shantaniqua_nykole_scott_dm_110520_wg

The jurors took 28 minutes Thursday to find Scott guilty of injury to a child, then deliberated for three hours and 15 minutes today before deciding on a sentence of 25 years, according to Eric Nickols, assistant district attorney with the Tarrant County District Attorney's office. Scott faced a maximum of life in prison but could have been given only five years' probation. She will be required to serve at least half of her 25-year sentence.
In her taped confession, played in court, Scott told police: "If I could get him to die, I could get him out of my life." She said she tried three times to smother the baby at home when he was 4 months old.
"The jury wanted to send a message with her sentence," said Nickols. He said the video and testimony by Dr. Sami Hadeed of Cook Children's Medical Center, who became suspicious and installed a video camera in the hospital, were "horrific."
In closing arguments, her lawyer, David Jones, said Scott did not damage the child. "She had no business having a baby at her age. But what were the injuries?" he asked.
Prosecutors argued that hospital staff saved Rhaidyn's life. "I think she deserved every second of the time she got," said Nickols

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-jury-weighs-sentence-teen-mom-smother-baby/story?id=13647120
mermaid55
mermaid55

Back to top Go down

RHAIDYN SCOTT - 4 Months (2010) - Forth Worth TX Empty Re: RHAIDYN SCOTT - 4 Months (2010) - Forth Worth TX

Post by twinkletoes Mon May 23, 2011 4:06 am

Thank heavens they had a security camera going or she might have taken her baby home and done her dirty deed.

No matter how often these women murder their children, I will never get used to it.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down