Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA

5 posters

Go down

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Empty MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA

Post by twinkletoes Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Desperate 14-year-old 'starved to death by her mother' ran away
to Walmart and spent night sleeping under shopping carts to escape
'monster mother'

• Markea Blakely-Berry found wandering through the isles of supermarket the next day

• Starving teenager so desperate she used to open food on trips to stores with her mother
  • Officials criticised for closing the case two months after the incident in 2010
  • Teenager 'locked in bedroom' and told not to speak with 'outsiders'
By Rick Dewsbury

PUBLISHED: 06:19 EST, 1 August 2012 | UPDATED: 08:09 EST, 1 August 2012

A teenage girl who was allegedly starved to death by her mother ran away
to Walmart and spent the night cowered beneath the shopping carts, new
evidence has revealed.

Tragic Markea Blakely-Berry, 16, fled her home in Georgia and the next day employees found her wandering through the aisles.

The teenager was so hungry that on trips to shops with her mother she would
even open cans of food as they walked through stores, it is claimed.

In a harrowing diary entry, the starving girl says she would rather live at the Walmart store than at home with her mother

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Article-2161416-13AD7327000005DC-789_306x417
MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Article-2161416-13AD7343000005DC-523_306x417

Tragic:
Markea Blakely-Berry, pictured left as a young girl, has died after
apparent neglect from her mother Ebony Berry, right. The teenager ran
away to Walmart she was so hungry, files have revealed
MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Article-2182018-031164650000044D-725_634x381
Desperate: A Walmart store similar to the one that starving Markea Blakely-Berry
ran away to and spent the night huddled under shopping carts

Markea was found dead on June 15 weighing just 40lbs amid claims from
relatives that she was routinely 'punished' by her mother Ebony Berry.

Berry, 38, faces charges of murder and first-degree child cruelty after
Markea, who was mentally disabled, was found dead at home.

Child protection documents have now revealed the harrowing plight of the
teenager, and how her mother thwarted the authorities' efforts to
intervene.

The teenager told police who collected her from the
Walmart that she had run away from home because she did not want to be a
'burden' on her mother.

But the girl was under strict orders from her 'controlling' mother not to speak with 'outsiders'.

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Article-2161416-13AD733F000005DC-275_634x360
Happy family: Markea, left, plays with a relative at a family gathering
before her abuse began. The teenager was told not to speak with
'outsiders'

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Article-2161416-13AD732C000005DC-684_634x344
Haunting: This image of Thanksgiving dinner drawn by Markea shows the family with empty plates

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Article-2161416-13AD7337000005DC-655_634x353
Well-stocked table: But Markea was once so hungry she ran away from home and stole food from Walmart

Berry locked Markea in her bedroom at night with 'pee pads' to prevent her
from leaving and to stop other visitors from seeing her, the files allege.

There were multiple investigations over almost a decade by child protection workers in Michigan and Georgia, according to ajc.com.

But the case was closed two months after the Walmart incident in 2010, leaving the teenager's condition to become worse.

Officials were in touch with the mother after Markea had ran away to the
supermarket and concerns about undernourishment were raised.

But Berry is then said to have prevented her daughter from receiving medical treatment. Within two years the youngster was dead.

DFCS Director Ron Scroggy said that the death 'should never have happened' and that the case 'should have remained open'.

He said that the caseworker who had been involved with Markea left the agency a year ago.

'No matter how intimidating a person is, the caseworker's ultimate
responsibility is to make sure the child is safe,' Mr Scroggy said.

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Article-2161416-13AD7333000005DC-245_306x362
MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Article-2161416-13AD733B000005DC-890_306x362

Devastated: Markea's father Mark Blakely, left, and grandmother Cheryl Goree, right, spoke of their grief

The case files claim that Berry was aggressive towards officials and had
previously fled from Michigan after complaining about them 'prying'.

The mother was deliberately obstructive by refusing to answer the door or pick up the phone, it is claimed.

Shockingly, she even blamed the problems on her daughter, telling caseworkers that
it was down to her premature birth and mental disabilities. Berry told
them that her daughter was 'unruly'.

Markea was prevented from asking for help from the authorities because her mother gave orders for
the children not to speak with 'outsiders', the files allege.

Former state Child Advocate Melissa Carter branded the state's handling of Markea's case 'shocking'.

Mrs Carter said that from 'a humane standpoint' there should have been some
follow up when there are concerns that a child is not being fed.

Alice McQuade of the advocacy group Better Courts for Kid said it was a 'horrendous case'. '

'It's just so hard, the idea of her slowly starving to death,' she added.

After Berry's arrest, Markea's family noticed that she had links via Facebook
to a group which encourages hunger, according to WOOD.

Ms Goree described how Markea had sent her a haunting drawing of Thanksgiving
dinner - with a table heaped with food, but completely empty plates.

Markea's father Mark Blakely said he was shocked at the apparent abuse.

'I can't even understand it,' he said. 'How could anybody do that to somebody? You wouldn't even do your worst enemy that way.'

The 'cult' is run by Dr Andrew Chung, a cardiologist who graduated from one
of the most prestigious medical schools in the nation. It mixes
scripture with his medical advice and encourages his followers to eat
just two pounds a day -- less than half what the average American
consumes.

Police questioned Mr Chung about the girl's death. He denies his teachings are a 'cult'.

Cobb County Police Department said they are still investigating the case.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Empty Re: MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA

Post by babyjustice Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 pm

This story is a bit disjointed and leaves information out like if there were other children which there seems to be from Markea's drawing. And why wasn't the child in school? I know it says she was mentally challenged but I thought all children would go to school. CPS sure dropped the ball on this and there should be charges against them. At the very end of the article, it's mentioned that the mother was in a cult which promotes eating little food. The whole thing is strange. I hope the mother rots in jail and justice is served to poor Markea. And if there are any other children that they are in a safe and loving home with FOOD.

babyjustice
Supreme Commander of the Universe
Supreme Commander of the Universe

Back to top Go down

MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA Empty Re: MARKEA BLAKELY-BERRY - 16 yo - / Arrested: Mother Ebony Berry - Mableton (NW of Atlanta) GA

Post by flash0115 Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:20 pm

what about pops and granny? didnt they realize that there was trouble?

flash0115
Local Celebrity (no autographs, please)

Job/hobbies : Pretending to maintain my sanity

Back to top Go down

Post by ladibug Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 pm

That's what I was wondering about, Flash! There seem to be quite a few case where relatives have a lot to say after a child has died, but I always wonder "Well where you been all this time?".
ladibug
ladibug

Job/hobbies : Collecting feral cats

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:18 pm

My thoughts exactly. If they cared anything at all for her they would have known the condition she was in.

How long had it been since they had seen her? Their love is a little too little, a little too late.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernlw Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:21 pm

That's what I was wondering. How distraught can daddy be... if he was in his daughter's life he would have known what was going on... so either he's a deadbeat dad, or an accomplise in my opinion. As for grandma... she may not see her that much. My husband's parents live in OK and haven't seen my kids in over a year so they would have no idea what condition she's in, except for pictures maybe. My parent's on the other hand would have had me in court so fast my head would have spinned. My girls are their world.

Gingernlw

Back to top Go down

Post by flash0115 Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:33 pm

mine too. i just see so many times on this site of grandmas, aunts, etc talk about what a good parent the abuser is and how the child looked healthy and happy just a few days before death. or better yet they havent even seen or talked to the child in months, even years.

flash0115

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernlw Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:34 pm

You know what gets me, Flash, are the people who say "I saw him hit that kid" or "I thought I heard screams coming from the house..." Well if that's the case, are you saying you witnessed abuse and didn't do anything? Takes me back to my opinion, all adults should be mandatory reporters!

Gingernlw

Back to top Go down

Post by flash0115 Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:31 pm

i agree gingerlw, wholeheartedly.

flash0115

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down