Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IAN NELSON - 6 yo/ Accused: Teacher; Barb Williams - Riverdale OH

Go down

IAN NELSON - 6 yo/ Accused: Teacher; Barb Williams - Riverdale OH  Empty IAN NELSON - 6 yo/ Accused: Teacher; Barb Williams - Riverdale OH

Post by mom_in_il Thu May 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Teacher caught on video grabbing kindergartner by face, could face charges

Posted: May 13, 2014 9:08 PM CDT
Updated: May 14, 2014 8:33 PM CDT
Reporting by Tim Miller
Posted by Megan O'Hearn
Reporting by Maia Belay

HANCOCK COUNTY, OH (Toledo News Now) - Anthony and Autumn Nelson, of Wharton, have two kids in Riverdale Schools in Hancock County. Their 6-year-old son, Ian, is a kindergartner. In surveillance video provided by the family on May 7, Ian is shown walking to the school bathroom.

When he comes out a short time later, his teacher confronts him. She grabs him and picks him up against the wall. Seconds later, she grabs him by the face and then by the shirt. His head flops back as she picks him up off the floor.

Ian's parents are furious.

On Tuesday, the teacher was suspended for 10 days.

"I would consider what would happen to myself, if I were to do that to her. If I were to do that to her, I would go to jail," said Anthony Nelson, Ian's father.

"He was in the other room and I watched it out in the kitchen and I just started crying. I burst out in tears. I called my mom. I called his mom," said Autumn Nelson, Ian's mother.

The Nelsons say that 10-day suspension is like an early vacation for the teacher, since there are only 10 days left in the school year. They say they want her to be terminated from Riverdale Schools. The Nelsons took the video to the Hancock County Sheriff's Office to try to file criminal charges against the teacher. Ian's father says he complained about his son's teacher to the principal in November but his concerns were swept under the rug.

"We asked for him to be moved to a different classroom and we said can he please go to a different classroom and the principal told at that time that she's a highly recommended teacher and they are unwilling to transfer him to a different class," said Anthony Nelson.

The superintendent says this teacher has been with the district for 14 years and the reason this incident came to light is because a fellow staff member reported it last week.

"We haven't dealt with this much at Riverdale. First of all I apologize to the parents. This should not happen," said Eric Hoffman, Superintendent, Riverdale Local Schools.

Ian's father says something must be done.

"I don't think she should be teaching anymore. I mean honestly in this type of situation, there's no one that should ever put their hands on a child," said Nelson.

For now, the teacher's 10 day suspension stands, but that could change depending the outcome of the Hancock County Sheriff's investigation.

http://www.wave3.com/story/25509189/only-on-wtol-teacher-caught-on-video-grabbing-kindergartener-by-face
mom_in_il
mom_in_il
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Back to top Go down

IAN NELSON - 6 yo/ Accused: Teacher; Barb Williams - Riverdale OH  Empty Re: IAN NELSON - 6 yo/ Accused: Teacher; Barb Williams - Riverdale OH

Post by mom_in_il Thu May 15, 2014 3:30 pm

Riverdale Schools teacher hires lawyer after caught on video grabbing boy

Posted: May 14, 2014 10:35 PM CDT
Updated: May 14, 2014 10:35 PM CDT
Reporting by Tim Miller

HANCOCK COUNTY, OH (Toledo News Now) - The Riverdale Schools teacher caught on camera confronting kindergartner Ian Nelson has hired a lawyer to fight what could be brought against her.

It is video we brought you Tuesday May 13 that people are talking about in northwest Ohio and all over the country. A surveillance camera caught kindergarten teacher Barb Williams confronting six-year-old Ian. She put him up against the wall and grabbed him not only by the face but also by the shirt.

A sheriff's deputy said he visited Ian's father at their home in Wharton Wednesday May 14 and has opened an investigation that could lead to possible criminal charges. This video will be a big part of that probe. If the sheriff's office believes charges are warranted, it will forward the case to the prosecuting attorney, Mark Miller.

Ian's father told us his son and Williams were not getting along well in class, but is still upset that Williams received only a 10-day suspension.

"I put my trust in the education system to do education, not discipline. Discipline? You call me. I can come to the school, I can take care of the situation and I can assess the situation and see how bad things are," said Anthony Nelson.

Superintendent Eric Hoffman said he has apologized to the parents for the teacher's actions but he stands by his decision on the 10-day suspension.

"Well any time parents send us their children, you know, we want to take care of them and it is unfortunate that it did happen. But after it happened, we're dealing with it as we move through the process," said Hoffman.

A family member of Williams said no one would be speaking, but she has hired an attorney from Toledo: Christine Reardon.

Parents on the school campus and around Mount Blanchard said Williams was a well-liked teacher. Others sent us emails supporting her, but they didn't outweigh the ones calling for her to be fired.

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/25521003/riverdale-schools-teacher-hires-lawyer-after-caught-on-video-grabbing-boy

mom_in_il
mom_in_il

Back to top Go down