Justice4Caylee.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL Empty IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL

Post by willcarney Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Toddler loses legs in lawn mower accident
Posted: 8:49 PM • By: WFTS Staff • By: Jacqueline Ingles

PALM HARBOR -

A little girl, two-and-a-half years old, lost both of her legs and part of a hand Wednesday evening after police say her father accidentally ran over her with his riding lawn mower in the driveway of their home in West Lake Village Subdivision in Palm Harbor.

Authorities in Palm Harbor said the father of the two-and-a-half-year old did not see his her in the driveway of their home, and ran her over with his riding lawn mower.

According to an officer at the scene, the little girl's mother tried flagging down the father to stop, but he didn't see her and couldn't hear her.

The father ended up down the driveway and into the street before he realized what happened.

The little girl lost both of her legs below the knee, and one of her hands was severely injured.

Police said the girl's father swaddled her and immediately called 911.

She was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital where she is now being treated, and her parents are by her side.

Police said it will not be possible for the girl's limbs to be reattached.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_north_pinellas/palm_harbor/toddler-loses-legs-in-mower-accident

I cried several times reading this and watching the video. Currently there are no charges been planned but it's still under investigation and no names released at this time. While some consider this an accident it was avoidable. Neglect to keep the child safe. Large machines like riding mowers should not be operated around young children. Before moving the mower one inch the operator should have paid attention to his direction of travel making sure it was clear. Now this little girl has no legs forever. IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 380822 William

Last edited by twinkletoes on Fri May 17, 2013 11:43 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Remove "accused")
willcarney
willcarney
Supreme Commander of the Universe With Cape AND Tights AND Fancy Headgear

Job/hobbies : NEVER assume your child is safe, KNOW.

Back to top Go down

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL Empty Re: IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL

Post by willcarney Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Palm Harbor girl loses legs in mower accident
Posted: Apr 10, 2013 7:55 PM CDT Updated: Apr 11, 2013 1:03 PM CDT

By WFLA.com web staff PALM HARBOR, FL -
Pinellas County Sheriff's Office deputies have released the name of the 2-year-old girl who lost both of her feet in an accident involving a lawn mower on Wednesday evening in Palm Harbor.

Palm Harbor Fire Rescue Public Information Officer Liz Monforti says Ireland Nugent, 2, was running in the yard and her mother Nicole Nugent, 31, was yelling for her to stop.

Her father Jeremiah Nugent, 47, was cutting the grass on a riding lawn mower when he saw his wife waving at him, according to the Sheriff's Office report. He thought she was warning him not to run over something in front of the mower. He put the mower in reverse.

Investigators told us he didn't see Ireland, who was behind him. The mower ran over the girl and continued rolling backwards even after he stopped the engine. Nicole Nugent rushed into the house to call 911.

Ireland Nugent was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital. Her feet were severed at the ankle. She also hurt her left hand.

Both her parents were treated for hysteria.

The accident happened just after 7:30 p.m. in the West Lake Village subdivision in Palm Harbor. Detectives with the Crime Against Children unit joined PCSO to investigate. This is the agency's normal response protocol when a child's injuries are so severe, deputies told us. Detectives say this appears to be an accident.

http://www.wfla.com/story/21937665/palm-harbor-girl-loses-legs-in-mower-accident

From what I read her feet were too damaged to be reattached. My soul cries for her. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL Empty Re: IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL

Post by twinkletoes Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:25 am

How could he not see her? He wasn't looking. Was he drunk?

Whatever the reason, this poor little baby will suffer for the rest of her life.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 pm

I've shed tears three times for the little angel. A current video from Channel 8 shows her picture, a very cute little angel.

http://www.wfla.com/video?clipId=8766211&autostart=true

Accident but preventable.
Never assume your childs safe, know.
Never assume where your child is, know.

She's currently kept sedated and still needs surjury. At least she's alive. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:55 pm

CBS News/ April 12, 2013, 2:28 PM
Toddler who lost feet will walk again, family vows

PALM HARBOR, Fla. A Florida toddler who lost both her feet in a tragic lawn mower accident will walk again, her family says.

Ireland Nugent, 2, had her feet severed at the ankles when her father accidentally ran over her with a riding lawn mower at their home Wednesday evening.
Ireland's mother Nicole Nugent, supported by husband Jeremiah, spoke about the horrific incident for the first time Thursday evening.

"She wanted her daddy," said Nicole Nugent, explaining how the youngster ran towards her husband as he mowed the lawn, reported WTSP News.
Jeremiah Nugent did not hear his wife's screams and his mower backed over the child.

"I am questioning why that wasn't me. Why that had to be her," said Nicole Nugent.

Nicole Nugent said the family's next-door-neighbor, a nurse, was on the scene immediately. "She came over and took the towels and put pressure on the legs. She saved my daughter's life."

Thursday evening, the youngster was in serious condition in hospital and still sedated, but had made some attempts at opening her eyes.

"When I put her hand in my hand, she's definitely squeezing my hand, and can realize that I am there," her mother said.

The family say there is positive news, given her amputations are below the knee.

"She will continue to succeed, she will do great things in her life," Nicole Nugent said. "This is not going to stop Ireland. Of all the children in the world it will not stop my daughter."

"We can fix her legs and she will walk again and run again and be just as spunky as she was."

A charity -- 50 Legs -- has offered to provide Ireland with the best prosthetics for the rest of her life.

"I told them today, all you need to focus on is your daughter's recovery," said Steve Chamberlin who runs the charity and lost his own leg in a motorcycle crash. "We'll take care of the legs."

The Nugent family's church is taking donations to help with Ireland's medical bills and long-term treatment.

Checks can be made out to Trinity Presbyterian Foundation, with "Ireland Nugent" in the memo field. The church has also set up a Paypal fund, which can be accessed on their website, www.trinityclearwater.org

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57579356/toddler-who-lost-feet-will-walk-again-family-vows/

I added this page because it's got a donation link and her picture. Please give if you can. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:21 pm

More surgery for Tampa 2-year-old in lawn mower accident
Posted: Apr 15, 2013 4:53 PM CDT By Jeff Patterson

TAMPA, FL -
Ireland Nuget, the two year old girl injured in a lawn mower accident last week, was back in surgery today.

Doctors at Tampa General Hospital performed surgery to close wounds in her hands and to prepare her legs for prosthetic devices in the future.

Ireland's mother and father were joined by their pastor after the surgery to give an update on her condition.

Reverend Dennis Reid of Trinity Presbyterian Church says she was taken to surgery around 10:30 Monday morning. Reverend Reid says, " It was very successful."

Nicole Nuget says she was comforted to see her daughter's face following the surgery, " Once you see her and I saw her face and kind of felt like she was still her, she's still my baby and no mater what limbs she does or doesn't have, we're going to have the same relationship and she's going to be the same person she would have always been."

The family says they are thankful for support from the community. So far more than $16,000 has been raised to help the family with medical expenses.

http://www.wfla.com/story/21984281/two-year-old-in-lawn-more-accident-has-more-surgery

She made it through the last bit of operations. Poor little angel. I shed tears for her again watching the press release. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:53 pm

TAMPA, FL -
Doctors said, the two-year-old who lost part of both legs in a lawn mower accident, opened her eyes Tuesday after a series of surgeries. Ireland Nugent breathes without a vent now. She is still resting after sedation and heavy pain medications.

While she recovers, her parents are amazed and encouraged by
an outpouring of support from the community.

http://www.wfla.com/story/21974183/church-raises-thousands-of-dollars-for-girl-run-over-by-mower
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 pm

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 532297_157719574396018_375932319_n

https://www.facebook.com/IrelandNugentSupport

Picture from their facebook page, such a cutie.
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Ireland Nugent, 2-year-old Florida girl who lost feet in lawn mower accident, continues recovery as support pours in

A Clearwater church has raised $16,000 while a former pro wrestler who is an amputee himself may contribute more than $100,000 in form of a lifetime supply of prosthetics.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, April 15, 2013, 9:47 AM

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL Lawnmower1-web
Facebook
Ireland Nugent, who lost her feet in a lawn mower accident.

The 2-year-old Florida girl who lost her feet in a horrifying lawn mower accident continues to get overwhelming support.

A Clearwater church has raised more than $16,000 in four days for
courageous Ireland Nugent, and a former professional wrestler who is an
amputee himself may contribute more than $100,000 in the form of a
lifetime supply of prosthetics, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

"I've gotten so close to the family from spending time with them every day,"
the former wrestler Steve Chamberland told the Florida newspaper. "I
want what's best for the kid."

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL Lawnmower3-web
myfoxorlando

The scene of the accident earlier this month.

Ireland was playing in her backyard in Palm Harbor, Fla., earlier this month
when she was run over in a freak accident while her father was cutting the lawn.

At least 10 people who have lost limbs themselves have called the Nugents to offer their support. Undaunted, Ireland's mother vows her daughter will walk again.

"We can fix her legs. And she will walk again and run again and be just as spunky as she was," Nicole Nugent said.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL Lawnmower13n-2-web
Fox News

The lawn mower involved in the freak accident.

Ireland took another step toward prosthetics on Monday as doctors at Tampa
General Hospital worked to close her wounds from the accident. Her
progress is being documented on Facebook by the Trinity Presbyterian Church in Clearwater.

Chamberland is helping to raise money for Ireland with the help of his charity, 50
Legs in 50 Days. He knows that as Ireland continues to grow, she will
keep needing new prosthetics. Shriners Hospital for Children in South
Florida has offered to provide free medical care for Ireland, a
spokesperson for the hospital told the Tampa Bay Times.

"At the heart of most people is compassion," the Rev. Dennis Reid, who has
helped raise money, told the paper. "People want to reach out and help
this little girl's life."

dboroff@nydailynews.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/wave-support-girl-lost-feet-lawn-mower-accident-article-1.1316799#ixzz2QaT3tuJu
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Job/hobbies : Trying to keep my sanity. Trying to accept that which I cannot change. It's hard.

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 pm

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 551359_158114721023170_280019856_n

Ireland had a very restful night. She is awake and responsive this morning, but remains on heavy pain meds. When I got here this morning, she had a big smile on her face and as I talked to her, she was laughing. Right now she is watching Bo on the Go on an Ipad. They are allowing her clear liquids and will be moving to solid food by this evening. She has only asked about her hand because of the glowing pulse monitor that is on her finger. A psychologist is coming in later to talk to Ireland, Nicole and Jerry. Nicole is going to be on the Bubba Show on 102.5. I am boycotting since I have been denied entry in the Bubba Army. Check out the interview and help out in any ways you can. More updates throughout the day. Once again, thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. It has been one week today since the accident.

https://www.facebook.com/?sk=welcome#!/IrelandNugentSupport

Good that's she's doing better. At least she's alive and recovering. Some children are not so lucky. Accidents can be prevented.

Know where your child is at all times.
Never assume your childs save, know.

William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by twinkletoes Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Such good advice William.

This was avoidable.

Why in the world would a man drive a lawn mower and not be looking where he was going?

Why would he have his child outside when he was mowing?

Why didn't he know where she was.

This was negligence that is being called an accident.
twinkletoes
twinkletoes

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Ireland gets out of PICU for a stroll. This is with Ally Smith, neighbor and nurse who helped stabalize the scene. It sure was good to have Ireland up and moving around.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 10023_158680147633294_1542512460_n

https://www.facebook.com/IrelandNugentSupport

She's really touched my heart. I feel sad when I see her in pain. I'm happy that she is alive. Some children hurt by mowers are so lucky. I do think the father should be charged with something. This was preventable. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:50 pm

One more procedure for toddler after lawn mower accident

Posted: Apr 18, 2013 6:48 AM CDT Updated: Apr 23, 2013 6:46 AM CDT
By Galina Tishchenko - TAMPA, FL -
Two-year-old Ireland Nugent, who lost part of both legs in a lawn mower accident, needs to have one more procedure Tuesday and after that doctors may decide when to let her go home, according to her support page on Facebook.

She was allowed to leave the intensive care units for brief moments for the first time just last Thursday. On Tuesday, doctors will sedate her to fit her for shrink wrap. This will mold her legs to best fit the prosthesis. In the meantime she plays with her sister at her hospital room and fingerpaints while resting in her bed.

The Clearwater community has been with the family all the way. Trinity Presbyterian Church in Clearwater raised over $15,000 to help out Ireland's family. The church also maintains her Facebook page and tries to support her parents Nicole and Jeremiah. 50legs, a local non-profit prosthetics company, has promised to provide her new legs.

Flowers and toys fill Ireland's hospital room. Her parents were at her side when she opened her eyes for the first time a week ago after her surgeries.

Deputies say Ireland's father, Jeremiah, was mowing the lawn last week when the toddler ran up behind him. Nicole Nugent tried yelling and waving to get her daughter to come back, but investigators say, Jeremiah thought that his wife was trying to tell him something. He put the mower in reverse, and ran over the girl. She was airlifted to Tampa General, where she underwent a series of surgeries.

Shortly after the accident, Nicole Nugent told reporters she believes her daughter will walk again.

"This is not going to stop Ireland," said Nugent. "Of all the children in the world, it will not stop my daughter."

Ireland's Facebook page says her spirit is still alive and well. Trinity Presbyterian Church pastor Reverend Dr. Dennis Reid posted on the page that she said, "I broke my legs" Wednesday.

As she became more responsive, she said "My legs hurt" and her pain medication was adjusted, Dr. Reid posted on Thursday. She also had her sister and cousin visit her.

Doctors expect Ireland to do well in recovery. If you want to help her and her family you can go to Ireland's Facebook support page or to 50legs.com

Trinity Presbyterian Church set up a fund for her, you can donate directly from their website.

http://www.wfla.com/story/22011031/lawn-mower-victim-at-tampa-general

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 420584_159472824220693_858805479_n

(picture from the face book page)

She's such a cutie. I'm saddened that she has no feet but happy she's alive and doing better. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Ok, Ireland had a minor setback today. On her right leg, there is a small area in which the skin grafts did not take. She was taken into surgery this afternoon around 2:30 where doctors had to remove the old skin graft and scrape down to healthy muscle. A wound vac was place back on her right leg. She was intubated for this procedure and will remain on the breathing machine throughout the night. She has also returned to PICU. On Saturday, doctors will perform another surgery to cleanse the wounds in order to prepare them for another skin graft which will take place next week. The good news is that her left leg is doing perfectly and most of her right leg is doing well. It is just a very small area that is requiring some extra attention. It is disappointing because we had hoped that she would be coming on this week. However, with this set back, it will keep her in the hospital for several more days. While this is minor, we are all disappointed. But, we remain focused on the incredible news that she is receiving fantastic care from her doctors and that all of you continue to lift her in your prayers.

Update from Nicole after I left the hospital. The PICU team decided to extubate her, meaning she is not on a breathing machine. She will remain in PICU due to volume of blood loss in the surgery and pain management. Hopefully, back to the regular floor soon.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/IrelandNugentSupport?hc_location=stream

My prayers go to little Ireland. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Ireland has come through her procedure this morning. Everything went, to quote Nicole, "Fantastic." The skin grafts are scheduled for either Saturday or Sunday.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 21086_160787707422538_278796192_n
From yesterday. Just love that smile. Just wish it was ear to ear. That will come in time. A little girls smile is the sunshine of our lifes. Her's is like sunshine after a dark storm. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Ireland is doing much better this morning. Thank you for all your prayers. Next up, barring no complications from the skin grafts, the shrinker will be placed on her right leg on Thursday. That is the last hurdle before going home!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Earth-to-Sky-Calculus/174490502634920#!/IrelandNugentSupport?hc_location=stream

She had a set back. They had to do two skin grafts again. She pulled through and is doing better. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Ireland is having a great day. She has been out for a walk and done a little rehab. She is in great spirits and doing wonderful. Just waiting for Thursday and that last procedure. They are looking at removing the pin from her thumb on Thursday and giving her a new cast. For now, all is healing well.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 252257_162736427227666_1856313754_n

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=tn_tnmn#!/IrelandNugentSupport?hc_location=stream

That smile is just priceless. I'm so glad she's doing better. I've read where children have been killed by mowers. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL Empty Ireland doing better.

Post by willcarney Wed May 01, 2013 4:20 pm

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 935171_163068500527792_951415034_n
Ireland opening some presents. This one is from Bob and Tracy Joyce, members of Trinity Presbyterian. It is Winter the Dolphin complete with a prosthetic tail.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 422123_163068553861120_1461350373_n
Another shot of Ireland checking out Winter's tail.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 417906_163068493861126_1726893722_n
Breakfast time...gotta love Cheerios

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 942490_163068490527793_216310484_n
Ireland at Rehab

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=163068553861120&set=a.163068457194463.1073741834.157714291063213&type=3&theater

She's doing better for now as these pictures from yesterday show. She's so precious. Like a little angel. Her smile is like sunshine and rainbows after a dark storm. I believe she has another operation for tommorrow then she might be able to go home. Below from today. William

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 600879_163345493833426_271069198_n
Ireland opening a present from a special friend
IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 575568_163345500500092_1402906566_n
Ireland gets a visit from Ronald McDonald
IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 247066_163345497166759_284205396_n
What kid doesn't like a McDonald's Happy Meal

Last edited by willcarney on Wed May 01, 2013 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update for today)
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Wed May 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Ireland Nugent, 2-year-old amputee, in good spirits at Tampa General Hospital
Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:24pm
TAMPA — The Palm Harbor toddler whose legs were severed below the knee in a lawn-mower accident last month was alert and in good spirits at Tampa General Hospital Wednesday as her family awaited the results of her latest round of surgeries.

In an exclusive visit to the girl's hospital room by the Tampa Bay Times and WTSP Channel 10, the parents of 2-year-old Ireland Nugent said that while their daughter's protracted recovery has been taxing, they hope to take her home soon. It was the first time news organizations have been allowed to see Ireland since her accident on April 11.

"She's ready to go home," mother Nicole Nugent said. "She doesn't understand why her sisters and brothers aren't here."
After an initial round of surgeries, Ireland suffered a setback last week when doctors found dead tissue on one of her legs, requiring more operations and another skin graft. On Thursday, doctors will again examine the girl. If the new graft was successful, she could return home within days, Nicole Nugent said.

The success of the operations will also determine when she can be fitted with prosthetic devices. Experts have said that because she is so young she will likely adapt easily to prosthetic feet.

Despite having undergone seven surgeries and remaining on heavy doses of pain medication, Ireland showed few signs of anxiety or fatigue Wednesday.

Sitting in bed beside an iPad and Hamburglar doll, a blanket draped across the stumps of her legs, she stared shyly at a visiting clown from the Ronald McDonald House and formed animal shapes with Play-Doh. Her dirty-blond ringlets were tied in a topknot, her round cheeks suffused with healthy-looking color.

"Tiger," she told her father, Jerry Nugent, gesturing imperiously with a Play-Doh cookie cutter. Her father gently pointed out that the shape wasn't a tiger, but an alligator.

Jerry Nugent said he had told his daughter on Tuesday, "I love your legs." She responded, "Thank you, daddy."

Jerry Nugent accidentally backed into Ireland on a riding lawn mower at the family's Palm Harbor home April 11, after the girl escaped from an enclosure in the back yard. Both her legs were severed below the knee. Her hand was also cut open and her thumb broken.

Since then, financial and moral support from North Pinellas residents has overwhelmed the Nugents. Dennis Reid, the family's pastor, said a fund established for Ireland's medical care and associated expenses at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Clearwater had raised about $85,000 when last he checked.

Nicole Nugent said she has begun trying to explain to Ireland what happened. So far, it doesn't seem to be working.

"We were playing with Mr. Potato Head yesterday and taking the feet on and off," Nicole Nugent said. "And I said, 'This is going to be like you, Ireland. We're going to take your feet on and off.' She doesn't really understand. She's honestly so little that I don't really think she gets that."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/ireland-nugent-2-year-old-amputee-in-good-spirits-at-tampa-general-hospital/2118530

Check out their pictures at the link above. Below is a few from Tampa Bay Times. She sure is a cutie and such spirit. She's done much better than other children with similar issues. William

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 0431033512_10708947_8col

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 0431033506_10708940_8col

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 0431033492_10708935_8col
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Thu May 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Great News! Ireland is out and the skin grafts look great. One more dressing change (scheduled for Saturday) and then they will decide when she will go home.

Chanell 10 last night.
http://www.wtsp.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2344461366001

Great news. Hopefully she will get to go home soon. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Fri May 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Toddler's Incredible Recovery From Lawnmower Accident That Almost Took Her Life
By Sarah B. Weir, Yahoo! blogger | Parenting

On Thursday, the parents of Ireland Nugent, a Florida toddler whose legs were cut off in a tragic lawnmower accident, received some good news. She had her last surgical procedure and is cleared to leave the hospital over the weekend. "She did great today," Nicole, the toddler's mom, tells Yahoo! Shine. "It looks like we're going home."

VIDEO: Teen Cheerleader Battles Back After Tragic Accident
Nicole has been staying with her two-year-old daughter 24 hours a day since she was rushed to Tampa Bay General Hospital (about a 30 minutes from their home in Palm Harbor) on April 11. Dad, Jerry, has been shuttling back and forth between the hospital and home because the family has six other children to care for. Ireland is their youngest.

More On Yahoo: Boston Marathon Survivor Calls Her Amputation 'Best Case Scenerio'
According to the family's pastor and official spokesperson, Dennis Reid, Ireland was playing on the family's screened-in porch under the supervision of her mother. She sneaked out while Jerry Nugent was driving up the driveway on a rider lawnmower. Mom immediately ran out and began waving her arms to alert him—Jerry thought she was signaling there was something in front of him and put the mower in reverse, running over his daughter. "They live for their kids," Reid told Yahoo! Shine. "This was a freak accident. They are fantastic parents."

Both of Ireland's legs were severed below the knee. She was rushed by helicopter to the hospital where she endured many rounds of surgery. In an interview on Wednesday with the Tampa Bay Times, Nicole said her daughter doesn't yet understand her injury. "We were playing with Mr. Potato Head yesterday and taking the feet on and off. And I said, 'This is going to be like you, Ireland. We're going to take your feet on and off.' She doesn't really understand. She's honestly so little that I don't really think she gets that."

Reid says the family is doing "remarkably well and drawing on the support of the community." Donations to help defray the Nugent's medical costs and eventual prosthetics have been pouring in from around the world. He adds that Ireland's brothers and sisters have been experiencing a "wide variety of emotions. The second-youngest, who is five, was asking if her little sister's legs would grow back."
"The kids are all ready for us to be home," adds Nicole. "They miss their sister. We are a close family. Jerry and I had never been away from them for even a weekend and now it's been three weeks."

Although the two-year-old has been heavily medicated for pain, she's a bubbly presence in her hospital room with big blue eyes and dark blonde curls. Her mother entertains her with a plastic dolphin with a detachable prosthetic tail—a toy replica of "Winter," a miraculous animal housed at the nearby Clearwater Marine Aquarium. Her father administers physical therapy including rubbing the ends of her legs to help prevent "phantom limb" sensations that plague many amputees. "She's amazing," says Reid. "Ireland's going to grow up to do great things one day."

Visit the Facebook page set up by the Trinity Presbyterian Church for more information about how to help Ireland Nugent.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/ireland-nugent-brave-toddler-lost-her-legs-heading-173400037.html

So far so good. I think they will change the bandages then see if she can go home for the weekend. She's such a trooper. Looking at the picture of her eating the corn I asked if she was right or left handed. Her left hand is in a cast. The minister said he thought she was right. He said she was very independent and did not want any help at all eating. Very strong in spirit this little girl. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Mon May 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Ireland Nugent home from hospital
Posted: May 04, 2013 12:27 By Associated Press
TAMPA, FL -
A toddler whose feet had to be amputated after her father accidentally backed over her with a riding lawn mower is home from the hospital.

Tampa General Hospital spokesman John Dunn told The Tampa Tribune 2-year-old Ireland Nugent is ready to go home after seven surgeries. Ireland's family and friends held a party welcoming her home from the hospital.

Neighbor Aly Smith says everyone is just happy to have Ireland back home. "We're just all excited to see her get back to normal and be her regular spunky, crazy self. " Said Smith. Nicole Nugent says she just wants to get back to the way things used to be, before the accident. "It means the world to be back. " Said Nicole. "I mean, I miss my kids. I miss us being together. I miss our nights, snuggling and watching TV And we're just so close as a family. We've never even gone away for a weekend without our kids and now we've been away for three and a half weeks. "

She says support from the community, her family members and friends has been overwhelming, and humbling. "I guess I never really knew how much we were loved until this happened." Said Nicole. "I knew we always had love and support but this has just been more than I ever would've imagined. "

Ireland's father says his daughter could be fitted for prosthetic feet in about four weeks. Jerry Nugent told News Channel 8 that when Ireland asks about her limbs the family tells her she's going to have new feet, just like Winter the dolphin. The dolphin with a prosthetic tail was the star of a 2011 feature film and is housed at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium.

http://www.wfla.com/story/22161685/tampas-ireland-nugent-heading-home-from-hospital
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Ireland is doing great. She is crawling all over the house, giving kisses and playing with her brothers and sisters. I left the family alone yesterday, just to allow them some privacy and some space. Plus, well, Sunday is kind of a big day for me. Ireland has a follow up doctors appointment tomorrow. All Chick Fil A restaurants here in the Clearwater area will be donating a percentage of their sales to the Ireland Support Fund. This is happening on Wed., May 8th from 5-8pm. Last, many of you have left messages asking questions or asking for ways you can lend a hand. I am doing my best to get back to you, but it may take a while. Please don't think I am ignoring you...there is just a lot of you. Thanks, Pastor Dennis

willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Special Homecoming for 2 year old lawn mowing accident victim

PALM HARBOR, Fla. - You could hear the cheers from her neighbors house in Palm Harbor as little Ireland Nugent finally pulled into her driveway. As her parents started to take her out of the car all the attention got a bit overwhelming, the two year old burst into tears. Her father Jerry held Ireland patting her back and soothing her saying,"It's ok, are you read to come home?"

Soon she was smiling again when mother Nicole took Ireland into her bedroom. It was a room filled with love. Ballons from well wishers and bags and bags of gifts brought home from the hospital filled the little girl's room.

Ireland's life changed forever April 10th. Her father was mowing the lawn with his riding lawnmower and thought Ireland was in the back patio behind a locked door. Somehow she got out and he accidentally backed over her, not understand why his wife was signaling to him with her hands. Ireland's feet were amputated and part of her hand had been cut by the blade of the mower.

Since then the family has been at Tampa General Hospital. They had no idea neighbors had planned such an elaborate homecoming. Their home was filled with people, there was food fit for a king, and at least two cakes, one a princess one, and the other heart shaped. It was all to show Ireland how much her community loves her.

"I never imagined coming home to all this today," said Nicole. "I thought we would have a small little family gathering and it turned out that everyone we love is here. It really does help heal the heart to know that all these people are here to support my daughter. There are times I didn't think I could go on but I look around and I know that I can."

Both Nicole and Jerry said they didn't expect this homecoming.

"For me, we are going to get the help we need. We've got a lot of people reaching to us, we are going to get the help to get past this," said Jerry.

The family invited us to share their joy as well as Ireland's first hours back in the arms with those she loves. Grandma Doreen DelCorpo couldn't get enough.

"I'm sorry, I can't let go of her. The lord blessed us with letting her live through it and everything else we can deal with and we are dealing. She is home and we are ecstatic," said DelCorpo.

Nicole's father Mike DelCorpo said they can now move forward.

"It has been so hard not to see her. We have been here at the house, to help Jerry and Nicole take care of the other kids (the couple has seven). We have not been able to see Ireland that much, so to have her here smiling and happy it more than words can describe," said DelCorpo.

Grandmother Maxola Goebel feels the same.

"I came here that night in my pajamas. I just couldn't believe it. Having her back here with us is so special, so special," Goebel said.

But there is a long road ahead. Family and friends helped the Nugent's prepare the house. There is a wheelchair ramp and adjustments have been made to their car.

But there's still more to do, but Jerry feels in his heart his baby will be ok. He really hasn't been back home since the accident. He couldn't bear thinking about the night he accidentally ran over Ireland with his riding lawnmower, but he doesn't dread being here anymore.

"It is always in the back of my mind and of course when I look at my daughter and I can see it, but there are so many good things that have happened over the past three weeks after the accident that you can't be negative," said Jerry.

But he said he will never go on a riding lawnmower again. They will figure out some way to get the lawn done.

Ireland's big sister, Italia, is confident everything will work out. She's so grateful for all the support and knows there's more coming.

"I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped her and us," she said.

And little Ireland seems to agree, when we asked if she wanted to say anything she replied with a huge smile and said, "Thank you!"

Reporter's note:

I am both humbled and honored the Nugent's had faith in ABC ACTION NEWS to invite us to, perhaps, the most special homecoming of their lives. It meant so much for us to be there during this joyous time after this family went through a tragedy most can never imagine. There was so much joy that filled that house and so much caring and Iove. You could see and feel all the support the Nugent's have.

I also had the chance to visit Ireland in the hospital during her recovery. She is a very special little girl whose smile just melts your heart. Seeing her interact like any two year old provides reassurance that she is going to be okay.

We hope to follow her progress.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_north_pinellas/palm_harbor/exclusive-special-homecoming-for-2-year-old-lawnmowing-accident-victim

Click on the link and watch the video. I'm so glad she's doing better. Most young kids don't survive getting run over by large riding mowers. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by willcarney Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Ireland had a occupational therapy appointment today and did really, really well. She was visited by a home health nurse who helped Nicole change her bandages. And...she met a new reporter friend, Carson Chambers from ABC. Tune in tonight at 6pm to watch the story, or I will post it here once it is up on their website.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 946951_165462553621720_1472952287_n
As you can see, Ireland is happy to be home!

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 428638_165761670258475_1503150928_n
Ireland enjoying Chick-Fil-A at the Palm Harbor location off US 19. Picture courtesy of Ireland's favorite Bay News 9 reporter RaeChelle Davis.

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 936613_165751626926146_736160982_n
Ireland chowing on some Chick fil A

IRELAND NUGENT - 2 yo - Palm Beach, FL 942702_165785836922725_1855871401_n
Ireland says, "Thank you!" Especially to Chick Fil A, all the people who came out to support and all those who are following her progress on this page. You are all amazing people who truly care! Blessings!

She's so gorgeous in body and spirit. I wish I had a daughter like her. Even with both feet gone she's upbeat and happy. I'm so glad she's doing better. William
willcarney
willcarney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next